The band

I think the majority of the Kop are too used to the band dictating to atmosphere and what we sing.

Got a whole generation of home supporters who need the band to, literally, pipe up before a note is sung.

Last night the lads at the back were singing the Gary Hooper song and all the band knew was the chorus...so the played that over the verse.

I'm all for a drum. With a good drummer.

But the band, with their trumpets, can roger off.

And when they do, it may take time to get the Kop rocking again. It may need a nudge & some help along the way. Think we need to be allowed to bring in flags and stuff.

The Kop should be where everything radiates from. It should be THE stand. And I get the impression that the LadsLadsLads on the North would come to The Kop if the band un-workable off.

But the Kop is a damp squib at the minute. Even when we score. There's no massive buzz. And it should be the stand where everything happens. It's our Kop!

the lads on't n/w go there for the 'banter' with away fans...

something the kop cannot give, and even at it's best, cannot 'sustain'...

Any chance of the Kop mixing the songs up a bit too?

The singers on the Kop have given up now. If you had been near the back last night you would have witnessed it first hand.

There were a few singing, not as many as there should be but I would say a good hundred or so, every time a song got going the band joined in, half speed wrong key and killed the song dead. You could literally sense the submission in the second half.

When they play the Bannan Wonderland song, it sounds like a flipping funeral march. Its so cringeworthy

I counted at least 6 times that the band were playing, full volume, and no one, literally no one joining in. It didnt make any sense. Wish I'd have filed it on my phone.

Even when we score, we have to endure the goal music (i used to love it when Aida was sung randomly throughout the game, now its become the "goal music" that we voted against) then 2 or 3 other songs that the band have chosen before the crowd can sing the goal scorers name. Everyone has become so used to event a) sing song a.... event b) sing song b) etc etc. They have become so dictating and irritating its untrue.

Unfortunatley they are here to stay. Ive decided like the majority that I just have to sit down, shut up and accept it.

The thing that gets me about the band (besides the enforced key change whenever they join in an already commenced song) is that they are supposed to be there to get the crowd going.

Currently they only get going when:

1) we've had a chance

2) we've scored

3) a song has already been started on the kop, or

4) during silver lining.

They should be the ones who kick in with a song when the atmosphere IS dead, not when it's already going.

When it's quiet and everyone is thinking that the place is like a morgue library, the band should be kicking in with an all time classic, even if just to fill the void.  Get a carnival atmosphere going when there's nothing else happening.

The whole point of the band seems to have been lost on the band.

The thing that gets me about the band (besides the enforced key change whenever they join in an already commenced song) is that they are supposed to be there to get the crowd going.

1) we've had a chance

2) we've scored

4) during silver lining.

Dont get me started on Hi Ho Silver Lining....

We ALREADY have music, why do they feel the need to drum to it? And when they do its out of time. They have ONE job and they cant even do that properly.

They bang along to a different beat resulting in half of the kop clapping along out of time to the rest. Its embarassing.

This. With or without them...there was nothing last night. Even the North was poo poo.

It's been pretty naff all season, bar the odd game...

higher entrance fee = less fans...

less fans = less noise...

less noise = band easier to hear...

at present it's an ever decreasing circle...

tbh, if i'm 'hurling' abuse at someone...

i like to see the look on his face when he get's it...

"are you sittin' on 2 seats", "have you ever seen your c**k" to the fatty in their support...

along with the always famous "tracksuit from matalan"... :tango:

1) we've had a chance

2) we've scored

4) during silver lining.

They should be the ones who kick in with a song when the atmosphere IS dead, not when it's already going.

When it's quiet and everyone is thinking that the place is like a morgue library, the band should be kicking in with an all time classic, even if just to fill the void.  Get a carnival atmosphere going when there's nothing else happening.

The whole point of the band seems to have been lost on the band.

number 3) start a song, (they take over)...

when they've finished, start another, (they take over)...

when they've finished, start another, and so on, and so on, they'll soon not cut in...

you can't keep blowin' a trumpet for 15 minutes solid...

higher entrance fee = less fans...

less fans = less noise...

less noise = band easier to hear...

at present it's an ever decreasing circle...

tbh, if i'm 'hurling' abuse at someone...

i like to see the look on his face when he get's it...

"are you sittin' on 2 seats", "have you ever seen your c**k" to the fatty in their support...

along with the always famous "tracksuit from matalan"... :tango:

Like I said though, talks ongoing about shifting the away support elsewhere.

Your impression about the North lads returning is nowhere near the mark, the majority of us love the view, the baiting of away fans and average facilities.

it's the b*llox they tell each other about the kop being fantastic (again???) once the band eff's off...

at a decent cup match next term (am i correct that your season tickets don't count?)...

let those who want some, come on't n/w, and see if it's better than t'kop...

Like I said though, talks ongoing about shifting the away support elsewhere.

what do you mean about that???

what do you mean about that???

Away end will probably, eventually, be ripped down. So we're going to have to at the very least move away fans temporarily, to somewhere else.

Regardless of the above happening, the club wants home fans behind both goals and the steering group were on board with this idea. More and more clubs are shifting away fans from behind the net into some dark corner of the stadium. We will probably follow suit. The process will probably be sped up when we get into the PL I reckon.

Away end will probably, eventually, be ripped down. So we're going to have to at the very least move away fans temporarily, to somewhere else.

Regardless of the above happening, the club wants home fans behind both goals and the steering group were on board with this idea. More and more clubs are shifting away fans from behind the net into some dark corner of the stadium. We will probably follow suit. The process will probably be sped up when we get into the PL I reckon.

we haven't enough 'attending' fans to take up both ends of the ground...

even in the premier (with what i assume would be average gate prices for the premier) what could we expect from our own support at say £50 a game?...

26k? 

28k???

you'll get them in for big games, but what for tuesday night's an' such v. swansea n' sarf'ampton at home???

it would interest me for someone to sight (the modern day equivalent) of a ghetto blaster at full volume at the rear of the kop, then at half way down the kop and see at what level it can be heard at various points on the field of play...

then to carry out the same 'experiments' from the back of the upper west, and half way down, and sample the noise on the pitch at the same points...

i've felt for some time now that the 'acoustic's' of the upper west do 'differ' from those of the kop, and we might just be floggin' a dead horse here...

The band is pointless in every respect.A bunch of self deluded hypocrites.Years ago at Colchester I got full burn in my ear from a cornet or trumpet.Went mental with the twot."Your just here for the football" was the response.Why else would I be there. FFS!

Edited by IG1OWL

atmosphere at hillsboro bar the odd big game is terrible, the grounds way to big, all tickets should be sold from the bottom up, keep it more compact, im on north and thats not been owt special, but while peple are stood up the whole game theres always going to be some atmosphere of some sort, maybe the kop should do the same

I don't want to post negative threads

When things are going well so this is more of a plea to the band. As much as you bug me and many others, I think we've all accepted you're going nowhere. So, please work with us. Don't use trumpets on the Carlos song. Especially when it has already been started. Your too slow and too low. Same with the Keiron Lee song and the when we win promotion song. The songs die out as soon as you join in. Please listen to the fans we can hear more than you when you're playing. Also don't drum to we love you Wednesday. This song always got going until you started drumming along. Thanks in advance.

Apart from that it was a good game last night. Would've liked three points but I don't think anyone can argue with the entertainment.

It's simple really, they're of the opinion that it's they who decide what we're going to sing, and if some section of the crowd have the temerity to start a song up spontaneously, the band will just drown them out. I remember the days when Swanny used to stand in front of the Kop, urging the fans to chant and sing, and I remember when we sang spontaneously, had a variety of songs, and didn't need a so called band to prompt us to sing. Personally, I find the noise they produce embarrassing, and if I didn't know better I'd say they sound like a bunch of schoolkids taking part in their third or fourth music lesson.

I'm on the South and if those f#ckers come anywhere near me its game over.I go to football to watch football.Not to listen to that poo poo who don't even watch the game."Could have been in showbiz" F#ck Off!!Rancid group of people who are totally in it for themselves.

atmosphere at hillsboro bar the odd big game is terrible, the grounds way to big, all tickets should be sold from the bottom up, keep it more compact, im on north and thats not been owt special, but while peple are stood up the whole game theres always going to be some atmosphere of some sort, maybe the kop should do the same

Atmosphere was great in 70s and 80s even when they were only 10 to 14,000 with no roof on kop.

We had a good sized mob on leppings lane end making lots of noise and they were always chants that were started in center of North stand and would spread to kop.