5 Years Ago Today

Like Howard said :

Sheffield Wednesday set to be sold to Milan Mandaric for £1

1971967248-29012011174227_zps2d6e69a3.jp

• Club announces agreement, subject to shareholder approval
• Mandaric promises to make Wednesday 'a real force'

Guardian - Monday 29 November 2010 12.12 GMT Last modified on Tuesday 17 June 2014 17.11 BST

The outgoing Sheffield Wednesday chairman, Howard Wilkinson, has hailed Milan Mandaric's takeover as "one of the most important days in the recent history of our great club" after the Owls confirmed the £8m sale to the Stock Exchange."

The Leicester chairman Mandaric, 72, will say goodbye to Foxes fans at the Walkers Stadium tonight when he quits his post ahead of the televised Championship clash with Nottingham Forest.

The Serbian-born businessman has struck deals with all Wednesday's creditors, including the Co-operative Bank and the former chairman Dave Allen, to wipe out the club's £30m debts.

Wilkinson said: "I believe this to be one of the most important days in the recent history of our great club. Our trials and tribulations have been well documented, but I can now see a brighter future for Sheffield Wednesday.

"Our club has been on the brink of administration and if this were to happen then so many people around our club would have suffered. We do have one final hurdle to cross, and that is for shareholders to approve the sale at the upcoming emergency general meeting."

The deal has yet to be rubber-stamped by shareholders at an EGM on December 14, but the club has confirmed it has already received "irrevocable undertakings from 43.6% of the company's shareholders to vote in favour of the deal".

Wilkinson added: "I will always be grateful to Milan Mandaric for showing the determination to save Sheffield Wednesday. We've been able to spend some time in recent days speaking about football and what needs to be done here. I look forward to working with Milan in building a strong club in which we can all be proud.

Advertisement

"I would also like to put on record my thanks and appreciation to the whole staff and supporters of Sheffield Wednesday, who have stuck with us through thick and thin. In particular, I would like to thank our chief executive Nick Parker, who has worked night and day to save Sheffield Wednesday from administration."

Mandaric agreed a £7m settlement with the Co-op Bank, who were owed £23million by the club, and five directors last week, but Allen, owed £2.4m, had refused to accept an initial offer of £250,000.

Three directors and two former directors agreed to accept 50% of the money they were owed, but will be paid in full if Wednesday are promoted to the Barclays Premier League.

Mandaric, buoyed by the support he had received from Owls fans since making his intentions public, instructed his lawyers to make an improved offer of £1.5m to Allen last week and an agreement was reached in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Mandaric said: "Sheffield Wednesday is one of the most famous names in football. I've been able to speak to a lot of people in and around the club in recent weeks and their passion for Sheffield Wednesday has helped inspire me to get to this point.

"I give the supporters and everybody who cares for this club an assurance that if shareholders vote in favour of this deal, then I will do everything in my power, working with Howard, Nick and Alan Irvine to again make Sheffield Wednesday a real force in English football."

That period five years ago when it looked like our club could go under was the darkest I can remember as a Wednesday fan. God knows where we'd have ended up without Mandaric to guide us away from the brink.

The progress we've made since then has been huge, and for the first time since our relegation in 2000, there's a genuine sense of belief that we will return to the top table at some point in the near future.

Thank you to Milan Mandaric, Howard Wilkinson and Nick Parker.

This OP could do with pinning and bringing back out every time people question the progress we made under Milan.

It's also worth noting the the debt of gratitude we owe to Howard Wilkinson and the rest of the people who worked so hard to facilitate Milan's arrival.

Our line-up for Milans first game.

01 Weaver

02 Spurr

04 Purse

11 Jones

15 Beevers

08 Miller

14 Potter

21 Teale

23 Johnson

24 Sedgwick

30 Morrison

Substitutes

25 Jameson, 05 Hinds, 17 O'Connor, 19 Boden, 29 Palmer, 09 Heffernan, 28 Modest

That bench is shocking. As others have said, we knew that day was a big step forward at the time. However, we have come further than I thought we would in 5 years. Don't forget we finished 15th in League 1 in 2011. Milan very rarely made the wrong decision. Mammadov being the exception.