Wildsmith to start on Tuesday

http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/wildsmith-to-start-cup-clash-2824996.aspx

Carlos Carvalhal has confirmed that Joe Wildsmith will start in goal for the Owls’ Capital One Cup trip to Stoke on Tuesday.

Wildsmith has played a key role in aiding Wednesday’s march to the quarter finals and will extend his cup run between the sticks at the Britannia Stadium.

Head coach Carvalhal said: “Joe will play against Stoke and I have every confidence in him as always.

“He has done very, very well this season and will be my goalkeeper on Tuesday.
Keiren Westwood felt his Achilles during the Blackburn game but he is OK and he will have one full week to recover completely.

“We will assess the rest of the players and then decide the squad for the game, where we want to do our supporters proud.

“Stoke will be the favourites as the Premier side but we will go there, we will do the best we can, and we want to get to the next round.

“You never know.”
Read more at http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/wildsmith-to-start-cup-clash-2824996.aspx#IOsC8rgrDZTqzxZ0.99

© SWFC

The kid needs games, he seems good enough.

When we've had a shocking side at times over the last 15 years, we always seemed to have a good keeper- Tidman and Adamson and maybe a couple of others aside - we've always had decent keepers but I think Wildsmith on his displays so far would have been first choice even at this age.   Until Kirkland and Westwood....timing sucks sometimes.   

No surprise really he's earned his place in the Cup team with clean sheets against two PL clubs already in the last two previous rounds of the competition. Its good to have two very good and capable goalkeepers. Westwood is a superb goalkeeper but Wildsmith has been impressive this season when he's come into the team, especially in the Cup.

Hopefully Joao will start and lead the line on his own or alongside Hooper. Backed up by our first choice midfield and a strong defence. I expect a strong starting 11 to be chosen but similar tactics as the Newcastle game. If we can hold them out and hit them on the break with Joao's outstanding trickery, hold up play and pace, plus support him when we have a chance, you just never know?