Joao Vs Rhodes

Rhodes is on huge wages, which kind of explains why he hasn't jumped to the Premiership. Signed during Shebby Singh's reign when he spaffed all their Parachute Payments on them going straight back up, they're in bad financial trouble. Teams who can benefit by signing him, can't match his wages. Those who can, Will buy better from aboard 

With FF rules to worry about getting the best value is important.  Is the best value to be had signing British players from rival clubs who will want to squeeze every last penny out of us?

It seems to me Joao proves that actually we're better off using our scouting network/Carlos' rolladeck to pick up bargains in Portugal and elsewhere.

Rhodes is on huge wages, which kind of explains why he hasn't jumped to the Premiership. Signed during Shebby Singh's reign when he spaffed all their Parachute Payments on them going straight back up, they're in bad financial trouble. Teams who can benefit by signing him, can't match his wages. Those who can, Will buy better from aboard

Exactly.

It's strange that some take the fact that he doesn't play in the PL as proof he isn't capable

Let him rot in deepist darkist grimmist Lankyshir, I'd rather we stuck to developing our own talent.

Maybe signing a proven goal scorer at this level will take some of the pressure off Joao? We're doing very well at the moment but that doesn't mean that CC and DC shouldn't stop looking for more quality in order to keep us improving and to try and fast track DC's aims and plans. The cost of the likes of Rhodes or McCormack is risky but all transfers have an element of risk and gamble to them. If we signed one of those or someone similar for a big amount and made it to the Premier League then that would cover the cost and make that gamble worth it. Joao is a cracking player and one for the future and for now. The dream scenario would be to keep hold of our best players, bring in extra quality and make it to the PL and enabling us to keep some of our star players and bring in more quality when we get there. I've confidence in DC and CC, at first I was wary but you can't argue with results and they've brought excitement and belief back to us. What a time it is to be an Owl, it's the most exciting time to be an Owl since the 90's. Long may it continue. Even being linked or mentioned with players of the quality of the likes of Rhodes and McCormack etc, is a far cry from the last decade or so and shows how much we've progressed as club in such a short amount of time. :D

Maybe signing a proven goal scorer at this level will take some of the pressure off Joao?

We're doing very well at the moment but that doesn't mean that CC and DC shouldn't stop looking for more quality in order to keep us improving and to try and fast track DC's aims and plans. The cost of the likes of Rhodes or McCormack is risky but all transfers have an element of risk and gamble to them. If we signed one of those or someone similar for a big amount and made it to the Premier League then that would cover the cost and make that gamble worth it.

Joao is a cracking player and one for the future and for now. The dream scenario would be to keep hold of our best players, bring in extra quality and make it to the PL and enabling us to keep some of our star players and bring in more quality when we get there. I've confidence in DC and CC, at first I was wary but you can't argue with results and they've brought excitement and belief back to us.

What a time it is to be an Owl, it's the most exciting time to be an Owl since the 90's. Long may it continue. Even being linked or mentioned with players of the quality of the likes of Rhodes and McCormack etc, is a far cry from the last decade or so and shows how much we've progressed as club in such a short amount of time. :D

Good content. Just altered it so it's easier to read.

Welcome  :rolleyes:

In the league this season

Rhodes -1299 minutes played, 9 goals. Goal every 144 minutes

Joao - 765 minutes played, 4 goals. Goal every 191

Nuhiu - 943 minutes played, 2 goals. Goal every 472 minutes.

Joao has also scored 2 in 238 minutes of league cup football. Goal every 119 minutes.

Good stuff. Where do you find this info or do you have to trawl thru all the individual matches and keep a tally?

From this great info:-

At present Carlos trusts Nuhiu and Lucas roughly equally.

Lucas has played less than 50% of our season.

Rhodes has played nearly 90%

Our guys have 6 goals in 1700 mins. Rhodes has 9 in 1300 (and our supply is better than Blackburn's)

Lucas has been really promissing for a third of a season.Rhodes has been really phenomenal for 8 seasons.

Whether we can have Rhodes or not is not in our power. But for so many of us not to want him is imho bizarre.

Rhodes is the better goalscorer but Joao is nearly better all around player already and will be far better then Rhodes in time. Didn't expect to say this but Joao no question, especially counting in wage demands and future potential. We've really found a gem here in Lucas Joao, full praise to CC and the scouting team.

Rhodes is a poacher and a good one. However, I think going to Blackburn stunted his development. They've never really pushed for promotion with him. Something that sides with a comparable goalscorer like Kevin Phillips did. Though Kev had an all round game, I've not really seen it from Rhodes £42kpw is a lot to pay and never really challenge. The Raos are unrealistic on what they ask in transfers and think they a team of world beaters.  Rudy Gestede has found the jump up in class hard. He cost £6m. Carlos found Joao. I'm sure he can find someone who'd fit his style. Whose cheaper than Rhodes  

Now Joao has settled in he could probably almost match Rhodes for goals.

Maybe rhodes could get 4 or 5 more over a season but what do you gain besides the goals and what do you lose dropping joao.

Its not as cut and dried as it might once have seemed.

Joao is probably better technically and fits in with what we are doing.

But if we can afford rhodes be daft not to buy him.

Good stuff. Where do you find this info or do you have to trawl thru all the individual matches and keep a tally?

From this great info:-

At present Carlos trusts Nuhiu and Lucas roughly equally.

Lucas has played less than 50% of our season.

Rhodes has played nearly 90%

Our guys have 6 goals in 1700 mins. Rhodes has 9 in 1300 (and our supply is better than Blackburn's)

Lucas has been really promissing for a third of a season.Rhodes has been really phenomenal for 8 seasons.

Whether we can have Rhodes or not is not in our power. But for so many of us not to want him is imho bizarre.

Just google the player. Plenty of sites that give that sort of info.

Its  unbelievable to me that people are even try to compare a rookie, to a proven championship goalscorer.

And then some of the comments, like LJ could match JR for goals, this is where the pressure comes from and this is where we ruin players, let LJ progress at his own speed, let him keep doing what he is doing with no expectations.

Yes he came on last saturday and changed the game, but he has also come on in past games and offered nothing, this happens in football.

But what you get with Rhodes is a constant goal threat, a player that will play off the shoulder of the last man forcing defences deeper.

For me its a no brainer, if we can get Rhodes, then get him - if nothing else it would be great for the club to have a natural goalscorer.

Edited by BD2OWL