Joao Vs Rhodes

With our continuous links to JR, and a high chance of this happening, where does this leave Joao?

We don't play 2 up front, so we are unlikely to change formation. Although this might sound a little crazy, I don't think we need to sign Rhodes mainly because we have Joao.

You can't take away the fact that Rhodes guarantees you 20 goals a season, but who's to say Joao won't hit 20 this season? When you watch Rhodes play, does he get you excited with what he is going to do next? Do you see him smashing hard hitting centre backs to the floor? Not really.  When you watch Joao play, the man just gets you on the edge of you seat, if we can keep hold of him, he may just  become a legend. The problem is I don't think he will be here that long.

Joao for me is the type of player what could cut it in many of the top European leagues, centre halves are poo poo scared of him. There is a reason that after 5-6 seasons Rhodes hasn't made a move to the Premier League. Personally I don't think he would flourish there unless he was at one of the top 4 sides. Many strikers who have banged goals in, in the championship of a similar mould have tried and failed, and end up coming back down a league (although there are a couple of contradictions to this (Austin)).  

To spend 10-15 million on Rhodes and potentially make him the highest paid player in the Championship would be a mistake. Take a look at: Joao, Forestieri and add Mathias (he has potential to become one of our best), these 3 cost less than 10 million. I would take these 3 over Rhodes any day of the week!

Spend 10 million on a right back, a winger (or 2) (Antonio :ph34r:) and a striker (although I don't think this is that necessary as we have Hooper), and we have a more complete squad than spunking it on Rhodes.

Is it just me being crazy? Am I bigging up Joao too much? I never thought I would be saying this!!!

I don't mind being shot down or abused for this thread WTF:

Guest wilyfox

tell me why it seems to be a joke that we won't sign Rhodes?

It isn't a joke that we won't sign Rhodes, because it's very likely we won't lol.

^^^

I won't argue with that.

Do you not think Joao can get 20 goals this season? Who do you think would cut it better in a higher league? Do you think 10-15 million would be better spent elsewhere?

50/50 chance Wily :biggrin: (which contradicts my "high chance" statement !!!)

Edited by WayneTheOwl

dc wants promotion next season, rhodes is a 20+ goal a season striker now, joao might be next season or the season after, who knows?

one things for sure, having 2 strikers on the books as good as the above 2 will only help in our promotion bid.

If i was a betting man, i'd wager on Joao spending more season's playing top flight football in one of Europe's top leagues than Jordan Rhodes during their careers.

But Rhodes certainly guarantees 20+ a season at this level. Joao is all about potential at the minute, but he's already starting to deliver consistent performances and goals now.

Edited by BRADDAZ

^^^

I won't argue with that.

Do you not think Joao can get 20 goals this season? Who do you think would cut it better in a higher league? Do you think 10-15 million would be better spent elsewhere?

50/50 chance Wily :biggrin: (which contradicts my "high chance" statement !!!)

Mate if you press 'Quote' on a post then you can reply directly to it.

Rhodes guarantees any team in this division 20 league goals- in our team you'd expect that to be 25 over a 46 game season with our newfound attacking prowess. Joao probably isn't at that stage yet, but this time next year he could well be. Rhodes does nothing but score goals, Joao has a much better all-round play.

If it were a case of "You can only have one for the rest of this season, who would you have?" it'd be Rhodes. If it's with a view to the next 2/3 years as a minimum in mind, then Lucas gets my vote every time. Rhodes would almost certainly guarantee at least play-offs this season but (seemingly) lacks enough traits to really succeed in the Prem... a problem Lucas doesn't currently have and certainly won't have as he continues to progress