50 Today Sir Desmond Sinclair Walker

I only talk about footballers I have seen ( late 1960's to the present day), both Des and Roland would be in my 11. But please do not embarss Des' memory by saying he was a better defender because he simply was not.

Happy Birthday Des one of Wednesdays very best.

Roland Nilsson is my favourite ever player.

However, I am sorry that is rubbish. Defensively Walker was better than Nilsson. Defensively Walker was the best Wednesday player since Swan.

He was bloody awful on the ball though.

Nilsson was a better all round player. Superb defender, great technique, brilliant professional.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

A great player.

One of our finest ever defenders.

One of the best British defenders of the modern era that I've seen in my lifetime and that's without a shred of bias. He was also phenomenal for Forest too. A colossus at the back, a player who would run through brick walls and would give his all for the team every 90mins. Not the fastest but he had great timing and reading of the game.

However, I am sorry that is rubbish. Defensively Walker was better than Nilsson. Defensively Walker was the best Wednesday player since Swan.

Nilsson was a better all round player. Superb defender, great technique, brilliant professional.

Well why I enjoy this forum is reading different opinions and you make a fair point.

I would argue that being a defender is about more than just defending it's also about reading the game and turning that defensive situation into an attack. That sets Roland above Des IMO.

As mentioned both men would easily be in my lifetime Wednesday 11.

I suspect Roland could make an all time Swedish 11

Edited by Geedee

A great player.

One of our finest ever defenders.

One of the best British defenders of the modern era that I've seen in my lifetime and that's without a shred of bias. He was also phenomenal for Forest too. A colossus at the back, a player who would run through brick walls and would give his all for the team every 90mins. Not the fastest but he had great timing and reading of the game.

Are you being serious?

He was electric!  Hence the song "you'll never beat Des Walker".  His pace was his main strength.

No striker ever out ran Des.

Strange int it how perspectives differ.

I know how good a footballer Nillson was but the stand out defender for me around that time was Des Walker. Couldn't believe it when we signed him. As for his pace, even as he was coming to the end of his time with us he still had a fair turn of pace for a central defender.

And as fantastic as it is to see our team on the up, the notion that we have anyone approaching the quality of Des Walker in our side at the moment...reyt...

Edited by Bleeder

Dan Petrescu deserves a mention as well imo.  We should have fought to keep him.  Awesome player, read the game so well and going forward was very effective.