50 Today Sir Desmond Sinclair Walker

Birthday Shout Out to Des Waler 50 years old today.

walker_zpsd0v8qmge.gif

sheffield-wednesday-des-walker-124-topps

£2.75 million signing from Sampdoria, Debuted vs Liverpool in August 1993 and gave sterling service until his release in 2001.

article-2525427-0024A2AD00000258-778_964

No goals (you usually have to go past the half way line to score ;-) ) and 363 appearances for the Wednesday as well as adding 1 England Cap to his International career at SWFC.

c8102ee82103719c77073151704c1c65b07a509d

It was a pleasure to watch him.

Guest ranmoor owl

Brilliant player! When opposition were attacking the kop and a ball got played in behind our left back and des would set of running and nodding at the same time and fsend it into the grandstand! Remember that nosebleed he got when he found himself in the attacking box against chelsea at hillsborough and he just fell over!

I think it was Leeds at home and JFH got put through with a delicious through pass.  No slouch, Hasselbank was bearing down on goal and looked certain to score.  Cue Walker flying in from behind and to the side to make an inch-perfect, crunching last-ditch challenge.  One of the best pieces of defending i'd ever seen from a Wednesday player. 

YOU'LL NEVER BEAT DES WALKER !

I remember that ringing around Hillsborough like it was yesteday.....

Happy Birthday Des, thanks for the memories...

Edited by Captain Sl-OWL-ly

Des Walker was an absolutely top drawer player and arguably the best defender of his generation, however, it seems odd that, given the amount of time he spent with us, he seems to have absolutely now interest whatsoever in SWFC. 

Apparently his interest in football went to zero when he left the pitch. Some people are just made that way, I don't think it's personal.