Remembering Mick Prendergast on his 65th Birthday

Fast on the heels of Tommy Craig - Mick P would have also have been been celebrating his 65th Birthday today and I wanted to pay little photo tribute to player who always gave 100% effort and wore the Blue and White with a passion so rarely seen down the years.  Mick was a flickering star in some very dark days from a time when the only thing most Wednesdayites had seen from Portugal was a botle of Mateus Rose.

Sadly Mick died on 29th April in 2010.  By coincidence the 29th April is etched on many an older Owls memory as in 1976 Mick scored, arguably his most important goal for Wednesday, and possibly one of the most important goals in the club's history.  Who know where the club would be today if we'd fallen into the old 4th division that night ?

prendo_zps112e70cf.jpg

Would have loved to have seen the old lad waving to the crowd at half time doing the 50/50 draw and young lads and lasses asking  "Was he good dad?" we'd go misty eyed and reply "Good, Mick P - he was a bloody legend ... I remember when..."

Add you memories of Mick here and today remember the Wednesday lad with Blue and White Blood and the Heart of a Lion x

As a young player

79d012fc-e301-43d9-8638-28284c863ad2_zps

1969.jpg

micpr_zpseb59c27e.jpg

196869_zpsa2779331.jpg

Hair's growing & Ozzie Owl's a lot shorter !

mickp4_zps255ffca9.jpg

A good lokking lad - but they the lasses only seem to have eyes for the babe magnet Willie Henderson

wh2_zps6419c6a5.jpg

In the snow at Hillsborough

mickp16_zps59bc5263.jpg

With the Shipp Club in a classic Wednesday jumper !

shipp_zpsd7ca52da.jpg

Perhaps the current squad could start posing like this?

post-513-1180948494_zps566f8d73.jpg

Hat Trick hero !

mickp11_zps8694a713.jpg

Classic Kit! (and love the tree on the Kop!)

PJS.jpg

That's how to celebrate a goal!

mickp-1_zps7a95e0d5.jpg

ip_zpsac1b8dc9.jpg

mickp9_zpsd10aa5bf.jpg

mickp22_zps2f30b2b3.jpg

Southend 29th April 1976

southend_zps4fb58eb0.jpg

southend-1_zpsde868e5e.jpg

Legends Springett & Swan at his Testimonial

mickp12_zps64e3c391.jpg

Cheers Mick x RIP x

mickp6_zpsc328597d.jpg

Edited by dunsbyowl

Last year I was walking towards the main street in the small Lincolnshire market town where I now live.  A fairly smart looking lady of around 60 made some remark about the Wednesday jumper I was wearing.  As the lady was walking my way- I got talking to her.   Presumed she was just another Wednesdayite, as there are still a few in Lincolnshire.

She explained that she supported us because her brother used to play for them.   I asked her who- expecting her to give the name of some unheard of youth player or reserve player.

But no.... she stated 'Mick Prendergast'.   Talked to her for 3 or 4 minutes.  Interesting lady.  Mick was unlucky that he played for us when we were on the slide.  We were, frankly, terrible in the 70's.  But I always thought Prendo would have been OK in a decent team.