January signings

Guest wilyfox

A direct and pacy winger, isn't that what Sougou is?

Exactly.

I don't think we're crying out for another wide man. Bannan and Wallace have the shirts, Sougou and Matias to contest them. Helan when we're caught short. I'm not a Helan fan, but he's an ok 5th choice.

A defensive centre-mid with physical presence, and another second-striker is what I think we need most. And of course, we need Hooper to come good - or be replaced with better.

it would be a mistake to sell lees, i hope we keep him. sort our striker situation out hooper or rhodes permanent. if we could get another midfielder like bannan or a toure/viera/carlton type. i'd be happy.

Yaya Toure, Patrick Viera, Carlton Palmer.....hope you are enjoying reading this eating your cornflakes Carlton.

Exactly.

I don't think we're crying out for another wide man. Bannan and Wallace have the shirts, Sougou and Matias to contest them. Helan when we're caught short. I'm not a Helan fan, but he's an ok 5th choice.

A defensive centre-mid with physical presence, and another second-striker is what I think we need most. And of course, we need Hooper to come good - or be replaced with better.

I wouldn't be surprised if Matias is played upfront rather than out on the wing. He was bought to play wide in a 4-3-3, but we've quickly abandoned that system. He may be better suited to a free-roaming number 10 role than playing as a wide midfielder in our current setup. Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

I wouldn't be surprised if Matias is played upfront rather than out on the wing. He was bought to play wide in a 4-3-3, but we've quickly abandoned that system. He may be better suited to a free-roaming number 10 role than playing as a wide midfielder in our current setup.

I agree, Matias and Fessi should be fighting for the No10 role.

Looking at videos and reading about Matias's exploits in Portugal, he was never a traditional winger, more a wide attacker, who spent more time in the middle alongside the striker.Carlos, of course, will have known that

Edited by gurujuan

Guest tzijlstra

On Heerenveen and Slagveer - he isn't performing this season, as is the rest of that team. They were a hot bed of talent but this year it isn't clicking and a lot of their fans are annoyed because the talents that management banked on seem to be below par. Slagveer being one of them. 

There are some other prospects in the Eredivisie though, cash-strapped Twente might well give up on Ziyech who was Heerenveen and is an excellent playmaker, he could compete with Forestieri. On the wing a far more interesting prospect, rapidly emerging, is Ryan Thomas, a kiwi playing for PEC Zwolle who can create and finish, he broke into the Kiwi national team as well so should get a permit. 

But all in all, I don't think we need strengthening this January, I'd much rather see the club sorting out transfers for the summer, better fees and in some cases expiring contracts of interesting players that want to take a step up.

Edited by tzijlstra

It wouldn't be a disaster if we didn't sign anyone really. The team is showing good form, and has the capacity to get even better, plus we have players who are not in the side at the moment, the likes Hooper, Lopez, McGugan, Matias and Sougou, all of them can get better. How long it takes us, and how much we can still improve, will determine where we finish this season. There are some good squads in the championship, and it may be, that next year remains the more realistic option for us. We are on track though, and it will come, but we should avoid making signings for the sake of it. If we do make permanent signings, Id like to see us sign players who could take us to the next level.

It wouldn't be a disaster if we didn't sign anyone really. The team is showing good form, and has the capacity to get even better, plus we have players who are not in the side at the moment, the likes Hooper, Lopez, McGugan, Matias and Sougou, all of them can get better. How long it takes us, and how much we can still improve, will determine where we finish this season. There are some good squads in the championship, and it may be, that next year remains the more realistic option for us. We are on track though, and it will come, but we should avoid making signings for the sake of it. If we do make permanent signings, Id like to see us sign players who could take us to the next level.

A couple of Italian guys?  :laugh:

post-22636-0-94885700-1448358432.jpg

Pudil equivalent at right back for me.

I like Hunt, but I’m not 100% convinced with him. If he’s on his game attacking wise then he’s a great asset, but if not, he worries me, as defensively he’s quite poor.

Liam Palmer is probably the opposite, better defensively, but poor going forward.