Competition Time - Floodlights !

1878 Bramall Lane - THEY weren't even founded until 1889 & over half the players in that match were Wednesday FC players

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/218471-on-this-day-in-1878-the-wednesday-fc-made-history/

Cue pigs on here saying they were the first in the country (which they are incidentally)

Guest minsk owl

Damn, I read the title and thought we could win some floodlights, was just getting some cable and my measuring tape out  :wacko:

that little 'un  that used to be in't middle of the North would have come in handy

1878 Bramall Lane - THEY weren't even founded until 1889 & over half the players in that match were Wednesday FC players

players

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/218471-on-this-day-in-1878-the-wednesday-fc-made-history/

Think that's what I meant,but didn't translate in retrospect,....e.g They claim the theirs is the oldest league ground,irrespective of who played there first!

Dunsby is right, caused a right furore as appearance payments had been made. It was a charity match to aid the Boer War widows and wives of maimed squaddies from the conflict. One of The teams turned out in boots, grass skirts blacked up and wore war paint and I believe carried pelt shields before the game got under way.

The team made up of a good few disguised Wednesday players were called the Zulus. Special generators were brought in to run the floodlights.

I don't know much more other than there were charges brought by one of the two Associations.  Sheffield and Hallamshire and I believe they held different views on the matter. It took months to smooth over and was one of the catalysts for the development of the professional game.

Despite what (write your own history) Unitedites may say this was the first ever floodlit match and took place 11 years before their formation. It took most of those 11 years for full time professionalism to be adopted but most Lancashire big boys, Accrington Stanley, Blacburn Rovers & Olympic along with Preston were making illicit payments to players leaving The Wednesday at a disadvantage.

Things get a little grubby when the question of cash gets raised and there were some deep divisions in the Wednesday camp leading up to two ground moves adopting professionalism. But despite our ethical stance regarding amateur status, we had to be competitive to be able to ensure the Ground moves and our entry into the ranks of league status. It all could have worked out so very differently and Sheffield Club could have been the victims of the BDM !