Oldham 35 years on

I wasn't there but recall the fall out afterwards and having to go in the south stand for home games which wasn't exactly a punishment :-)   Actually happened on the 6th September but the Hillsborough terraces were closed until ater the Cardiff match on the 11th October. Below a few images I have collected.

Anyone who was there share any recollections?

IMG_1617_zpsxnozbzp7.jpg

IMG_1468_zpshiq1libe.jpg

IMG_1471_zpsdswh7qwm.jpg

Oldham_zpsviqnmhlb_1.jpg

FullSizeRender5%201_zpskcutnlbt.jpg

IMG_1624_zpsfnm6u02g.jpg

post-8246-0-73326900-1410721468_zps1fqgn

IMG_1623_zpslq8gobxr.jpg

IMG_1615_zpsptxqbeo4.jpg

IMG_1614_zpslgbbmyyo.jpg

IMG_1616_zpsxurw7no3.jpg

IMG_1626_zpsibgul4mj.jpg

FullSizeRender%201_zps07ousltr.jpg

IMG_1627_zpsdfvuwxrs.jpg

post-14-1174621115_zpsw3utjk9g.jpg

12079713_10205195173423295_3450665968048

Was there that day. We were stood down the side but the trouble came from the end that was like a building site. Loads of rubble just lying about.

As everyone knows. It all kicked off when Stainrod and Curran had a set to and TC got sent off. You have to remember he was a massive hero at that time and Stainrod had United connections.

Well all that handy ammunition was just asking to be thrown and it suddenly started. Nobody was attempting to invade the pitch but the police formed a cordon across it that was exactly just in throwing distance. It was all a bit surreal to be honest.

There'll be others with better stories of the day I'm sure.

I was there aged 9, I was on the side away from the main trouble. The curren stainrod thing happened just near us, lets just say TC was not best pleased!

I remember the charge down to their Kop and Wednesday fans trying to break the fences down, that's about it for me, oh we lost 1-0.

Didn't the ref have an absolute mare in the game and the sending off of TC was the final straw. Remember reading at the time he didn't come out of it at all well.

Edited by darra

There is somebody in one of those photo's, and I wont say who it is, who at the time was one of the biggest hooligans to follow Wednesday. We'd gone to the game with that person, and when it all kicked off, they were straight over the fence, kicking seven bells out of somebody. There was a photo, either in The Star of that week, or in the programme for our next home game, which showed them on pitch side, straddled over another fan, with the headline, something like, "Caring Owl helps a troubled fan", when in actual fact, they'd just given the kid on the ground the hiding of their life.

Had the police acted promptly, it would never have escalated like it did, but when it all kicked off, the stewards and what police were on duty, just disappeared, and waited for reinforcements to arrive, which took ages.

Our fans were a disgrace that day, but it didn't help that there was builders rubble strewn all round, inside Boundary Park, and the security in the ground was totally inadequate.

First and only time in my life, I could say I was ashamed to be a Wednesdayite.

I was there on the terrace behind the goal it was all kicking off everywhere. Mate got dragged out of crowd and ejected by Plod, his photo was center page of The News Of The World.

His dad who was ex plod threw all his clothes onto the garden when he saw it!

Went to all the 'banned' games as well

• Like 1

There was more than 200/300 involved. At one point it was kicking off on three sides of the ground. The banning order on away matches did,nt work either. It just became more of a challenge to obtain tickets. We managed it to every game so it wasn,t so much if a problem.

I went to Grimsby and Derby and paid on the gate. I thought at first we'd just be in with the home fans but they were re-directing us to our own turnstile. Loads of Wednesday fans there.

As for the Oldham game, I was there and near the front when the 'rubble' started to fly over our heads. A few near me got hit by a few that landed short (presumably). We shifted over to the side but there were a lot of angry people everywhere. Some were angry at the Ref/Stainrod, others were angry at the Wednesday fans' reaction. Awful day. Oh, and we lost 2-0 (somebody said 1-0 earlier).

Was there that day. We were stood down the side but the trouble came from the end that was like a building site. Loads of rubble just lying about.

As everyone knows. It all kicked off when Stainrod and Curran had a set to and TC got sent off. You have to remember he was a massive hero at that time and Stainrod had United connections.

Well all that handy ammunition was just asking to be thrown and it suddenly started. Nobody was attempting to invade the pitch but the police formed a cordon across it that was exactly just in throwing distance. It was all a bit surreal to be honest.

There'll be others with better stories of the day I'm sure.

You make it sound like people had no choice but to launch a missile onto the pitch!

I went to Grimsby and Derby and paid on the gate. I thought at first we'd just be in with the home fans but they were re-directing us to our own turnstile. Loads of Wednesday fans there.

As for the Oldham game, I was there and near the front when the 'rubble' started to fly over our heads. A few near me got hit by a few that landed short (presumably). We shifted over to the side but there were a lot of angry people everywhere. Some were angry at the Ref/Stainrod, others were angry at the Wednesday fans' reaction. Awful day. Oh, and we lost 2-0 (somebody said 1-0 earlier).

Was it 2-0 worse day than I thought then 😊

poor refereeing decision by george tyson as stainrod was rolling around like he had been shot after a 50/50 tackle with curran. i had never seen wednesday fans react like they did behind the goal, it kicked off for about 30/40 mins with the players being took off the pitch and jack charlton trying to appease the fans but all to no avail. wednesday fans were ejected from the ground and went straight on to the home end where it kicked off again. 

went to grimsby, derby and bristol rovers but not swansea.

You make it sound like people had no choice but to launch a missile onto the pitch!

No mate. I wasn't saying any of it was justified it was a miserable day to be a Wednesdayite. It was a match we should have won and didn't due to bad refereeing and a totally over the top response from some fans that certainly didn't help the team.

All that rubble shouldn't have been left there. It certainly wouldn't now. Obviously it was before Health and Safety.

No mate. I wasn't saying any of it was justified it was a miserable day to be a Wednesdayite. It was a match we should have won and didn't due to bad refereeing and a totally over the top response from some fans that certainly didn't help the team.

All that rubble shouldn't have been left there. It certainly wouldn't now. Obviously it was before Health and Safety.

Fair enough Ibbo. I struggle just to understand why anyone would choose to pick  something up and throw it onto the field.

poor refereeing decision by george tyson as stainrod was rolling around like he had been shot after a 50/50 tackle with curran. i had never seen wednesday fans react like they did behind the goal, it kicked off for about 30/40 mins with the players being took off the pitch and jack charlton trying to appease the fans but all to no avail. wednesday fans were ejected from the ground and went straight on to the home end where it kicked off again. 

went to grimsby, derby and bristol rovers but not swansea.

That's so true. I'd never seen Owls fans react like that at an away match and I used to go all over in those days. Even looking back at it now I still can't understand why it kicked off so badly