On This Day 1983

Guest hirsty9

Just checked the stats for that season. Didn't lose in the league till end of November and only 6 times all season. You just forget how good they were. Will always remember that final match at Cardiff though. One of the best away days ever.

It was a great day out all the wednesday fans on the pitch, and the rumour that chelsea had lost,only for it to be false

In terms of sheer effort, hard work, team spirit, physicality and will to win the Wednesday team that season and the two that followed are unsurpassed in my lifetime.

It was before I was born, but for some reason when i first saw the pictures I thought 'they look like they'd run through a brick wall sort of team'

They had an interesting bonus scheme in those days as well....something like £100 a point which doubled every time we won a game....stayed as it was if we drew but if we lost it went back to £100......made them fight like never before if we went behind

In terms of sheer effort, hard work, team spirit, physicality and will to win the Wednesday team that season and the two that  followed are unsurpassed in my lifetime.

I couldn't agree more. In the following season we beat Forest and Spurs at home early on. Go to the video section and watch the highlights...

...we are closing down and hounding full backs and centre halves so high up the pitch. Forest were reduced to punting it out for throw ins.