On this day 1896 - Cup Winners Dinner

Fascinating stuff as usual Dunsby old chap!

5 bob a ticket though.... lot of money in 1896. Anybody know how much that equates to in todays terms?

Going on Dunsby's ticket price of 6d for a game then 5s is ten times ticket price of today

But let's not turn this into another ticket price thread and say £300

Going on Dunsby's ticket price of 6d for a game then 5s is ten times ticket price of today

But let's not turn this into another ticket price thread and say £300

An easy and rough and ready calculation ...and I can see where you're coming from. It isn't in reality easy to equate earnings of course, but for instance in 1861 a Valet in Livery earned £25 to £50 per YEAR, a Groom £15 to £30 p.a.............in 1966 as an apprpentice, my first weekly wage was only about 10s 6p if memory serves me correctly.....................either way, 5s was a bloody expensive dinner in 1896, perhaps we were Massive even then!

An easy and rough and ready calculation ...and I can see where you're coming from. It isn't in reality easy to equate earnings of course, but for instance in 1861 a Valet in Livery earned £25 to £50 per YEAR, a Groom £15 to £30 p.a.............in 1966 as an apprpentice, my first weekly wage was only about 10s 6p if memory serves me correctly.....................either way, 5s was a bloody expensive dinner in 1896, perhaps we were Massive even then!

Using your figures then the meal would be substantially cheaper. Wages at £25/£50 a year would equate to 12s/24s a week.

So 5s would be 40%/20% of current weekly wage.

Anyone know the words or tunes to the songs and recitations?

"Our Football Club"

Can't help you with that one but have found the lyrics to Simon the Cellarer and Kathleen Mavourneen if anyone's interested.

No ? I thought not