Westwood or Wildsmith?

I'd play Westwood.For two reasons...firstly Westwood is the better keeper and our strongest side playing is what we want.

Secondly. Wildsmith is progressing nicely,hes made his debut against lower league opposition in the cup,made his league debut,played against Premiership opposition in the cup and come through unscathed

However,a game live on TV against Arsenal,with all the hype surrounding it,is an even bigger step up than the Newcastle game. I'd protect him at this stage.

Whilst I think it will be Wildsmith, I think you may have something with your last sentence to be fair.

Depends if a hammering would ruin the young lads confidence.

What would a win do for his confidence?

Everyone seems to think we are in for a mullering, yet this game is sandwiched in between what are now vital Champions League games considering Arsenals start in that, and they are also now in the hunt for topping the Premier League!

They will not be at there strongest, and have been victims of the odd upset in this competition.

Everyone seems to think we are in for a mullering, yet this game is sandwiched in between what are now vital Champions League games considering Arsenals start in that, and they are also now in the hunt for topping the Premier League!

They will not be at there strongest, and have been victims of the odd upset in this competition.

They even lost a final to the blue noses!

post-22636-0-90495200-1444210020.jpg

Seem to remember we went on a poor run after getting battered by City last year.

I'd rather play full strength and make sure that doesn't happen this season.

That could work both ways, play a weaker 11, get hammered - have an excuse, should not affect those that make up the strongest 11

Play the strongest 11 - get hammered - no excuse - affects the whole squad

Edited by BD2OWL

Guest owlinlincs

I agree that a win would do him a world of good. I would just hate from his progress to be set back. I think he is our future number 1 and will have a great future as well

(or Price)

Biggest cup match at Hillsborough for donkeys years v Gooners, so do we stick with the cup formula and play Wildsmith or Price, or de we go all out to win and play our #1?

Biggest cup game since... last season when we bottled it against Charlton when we'd have gone to a QF against the grunters. 

Guest TommyTank

We have loads of games coming up and we will need to rotate.

Id try and play the same team that beat Newcastle, they deserve it.

It would be disheartening for the likes of Semedo, McGugan, Sougou, Matias etc to miss out after a very good performance against the geordies.

It would also mean we would have to change the team for League games.

The likes of Hutch won't manage 3 games in a week, we also have a squad so they shouldn't have to.

I agree that a win would do him a world of good. I would just hate from his progress to be set back. I think he is our future number 1 and will have a great future as well

to be a top footballer you have to a certain mentality, hiding players coz you think they cant cope with failure sends out the message you dont think he´s strong enough to cope with a set back .......he´s a big lad & a very good keeper, he´s good enough to play against anyone .

to be a top footballer you have to a certain mentality, hiding players coz you think they cant cope with failure sends out the message you dont think he´s strong enough to cope with a set back .......he´s a big lad & a very good keeper, he´s good enough to play against anyone .

What's him being 'big' got to do with anything?

lol

As well as Joe Wildsmith (and Lewis Price to be fair to him) has done there is no way that either should start against Arsenal. I actually think we have a very good chance of winning providing we carry on the good run we have been on. With that comes keeping the same team and not making a sill amount of changes for one game. Also if the Arsenal of last weekend turn up would it really do Wildsmith any good to have a load of goals smashed past him?

Also a quick point on this idea of a cup team, surely you should pick a team to win an individual game rather than make a promise at the start of the season that you might have to break during it?