Development Squad

We have the money to buy ready built players, this is what the club has done in the past, neglecting the develpoement of any young player hence why we are playing catch up with United and Barnsley now.

I really hope that is not what will happen again, we have a half decent youth set up now so lets keep it and continue to improve it.

Have seen the Academy side a few times this season and have been impressed with the levels of graft,skill and team spirit displayed - been really good to watch!

Don't know how this compares to recent years, but really impressed with current team members.

What are your views Kivo/regular attenders?

Seen the U18's a few times over the last couple of years.....last Saturday's number 9 is already head and shoulders better than the first team one

One thing that does stand out though is that physically they are no where near ready.....they really are still kids.....made me realise on Saturday how good the likes of Michael Owen must have been at that age to be playing in the first team at Liverpool

George Hirst :happy: Getting rave reviews from everywhere. We might face real struggle to keep him at the club.

If I'm not mistaken, still only 16.

If we can't keep Hirst at the club given all the history and just as importantly money we've now got then we might as well shut the academy down for good

Aside from the injuries to Betra and Stobbs, what's the situation with Brad Beatson now? Is he just being kept out of the side by senior players like DeHaviland, Dielna and Lachman, or is he himself injured?

A mixture of both, he's had a couple of injury niggles and restricted opportunities due to the amount of senior pro's, but the lad is 100% Wednesday through and through and has the heart of a lion, he'll take his opportunities with aplomb, mark my words .

Was just reading the academy profiles on the OS What struck me is, how few come from Sheffield, with only FOUR of the eighteen players featured, having been born in Sheffield. That's a stark contrast to the Piggies, who's squad is predominantly made up of Sheffield lads. I notice we are doing much better than usual at U18 level this season, so maybe it pays not to shop local. Shame though

I've had a bit of an epiphany about development football tbh

It's blatantly obvious that us English/Brits are crap at it and so we need root and branch change

It's become easier now to spend a few grand on players - or take players released from other clubs than it is to develop our own.

That falls squarely on the shoulders of our (generic) player development programmes which are shyte basically

There is no reason physically nor physiologically why lads from Sheffield should not be among the best players in the world - so the difference is cultural and/or educational (coaching, training and development basically)

I had this conversation (rather heatedly at times) this week with some coaches and the gist of our side of the debate is that too much of our football is systems based around the group rather than technically based around the individual

For me there is no point teaching players all about tactics when their control and mastery of the ball is so often rudimentary and lacking.

Nobody learns about formation flying before they can fly a damn plane...

I wouldn't hold out too many hopes for our development squad purely because it's such a ridiculous notion - no club embraces it and I know for a fact several high profile clubs have been openly scathing of it and just this week one "lesser" club has met to discuss whether to keep the u21 squad and why can't they remain cat 2 if they drop this white elephant. Similarly other clubs have with good academies have dropped to cat 3 just because they disagreed with having an u21 team

It's become about fulfilling nonsensical fixtures rather than developing players

Most semi decent development teams are mid non league standard - and that is supposed to be progress...

Top of the league !

We won 7, draw 1, and lost only 2.

One of those 2 defeats was against QPR who lost all their games before they played us, and were just spanked 9:0 by Charlton :blush:

Being properly trained in the Wednesday way then!  lol

Top of the league !

We won 7, draw 1, and lost only 2.

One of those 2 defeats was against QPR who lost all their games before they played us, and were just spanked 9:0 by Charlton :blush:

Tbf you're talking about the u18 and not the development team.

But QPR at both u18 and u21 are dreadful

I've had a bit of an epiphany about development football tbh

It's blatantly obvious that us English/Brits are crap at it and so we need root and branch change

It's become easier now to spend a few grand on players - or take players released from other clubs than it is to develop our own.

That falls squarely on the shoulders of our (generic) player development programmes which are shyte basically

There is no reason physically nor physiologically why lads from Sheffield should not be among the best players in the world - so the difference is cultural and/or educational (coaching, training and development basically)

I had this conversation (rather heatedly at times) this week with some coaches and the gist of our side of the debate is that too much of our football is systems based around the group rather than technically based around the individual

For me there is no point teaching players all about tactics when their control and mastery of the ball is so often rudimentary and lacking.

Nobody learns about formation flying before they can fly a damn plane...

I wouldn't hold out too many hopes for our development squad purely because it's such a ridiculous notion - no club embraces it and I know for a fact several high profile clubs have been openly scathing of it and just this week one "lesser" club has met to discuss whether to keep the u21 squad and why can't they remain cat 2 if they drop this white elephant. Similarly other clubs have with good academies have dropped to cat 3 just because they disagreed with having an u21 team

It's become about fulfilling nonsensical fixtures rather than developing players

Most semi decent development teams are mid non league standard - and that is supposed to be progress...

Presume you mean develop the youngsters like the Dutch have done for the last 50 years? Make them so comfortable on the ball they can fit into any formation and play any position. ironically it was our very own Vic Buckingham that helped pioneer that. So shortsighted of us to let him go.

Tbf you're talking about the u18 and not the development team.

But QPR at both u18 and u21 are dreadful

True. I tried to give bit more info and respond to post just above mine.

Strange regarding QPR and such a bad state of their academy/development squads. They used to throw money around, yet managed to totally neglect their academy...

Strange regarding QPR and such a bad state of their academy/development squads. They used to throw money around, yet managed to totally neglect their academy...

That is a very valid point ,With ffp now they cant spend they should have lads coming through ,Colin not being brought in to assist ,He is being brought in to replace.

They do actually invest heavily in their academy - but like most clubs they think more money = more success.

We have much better prospects than them from what I've seen on a relative fraction of their investment.

Their catchment area is great too.

They do actually invest heavily in their academy - but like most clubs they think more money = more success.

We have much better prospects than them from what I've seen on a relative fraction of their investment.

Their catchment area is great too.

Good to hear scram - I know you really rate Hirst but have you seen this lad Penney? Interested in your thoughts