That McGugan goal!

Did a great job of hiding today and showed no balls pulling out of tackles

Still busted a gut to get back several times and scored.

Today was actually a poor team performance for a couple of big portions of the game from Wednesday including the period McGugan was on the pitch, and yet again once Big Dave came off nothing stuck up top.

We were very unlucky with their keeper being caught in possession a few times too and just not getting the rub of the green.   We SHOULD have walked that game - PNE didn't have a shot on target for the first 70 minutes and we made some bad choices going forward.

Guest wilyfox

It comes as no surprise I see some familiar names knocking McGugan that praise Nuhiu; which is interesting, because one has ability on the ball and scores goals. The other doesn't. Keep grafting Hattie - that's the most important thing to some.

Did little else,but wow how many players have we had recently who have the skill and ability to do that.

Brilliant.

UTO's

He is the same as matias both dont do alot of defending but will create pieces of brilliance he just knows the championship better .

Was an absolute passenger and defensive liability for all barring that goal.

He even got shifted out of the middle of the park cause he was so anonymous. Then he failed to offer any help or defensive cover for Hunt.

This is true. He shirked 3 important challenges when Preston were piling on the pressure. He was garbage except for the goal, but thats all that matters.

It just shows how far we've progressed in a short space of time.

Last year he was the 'messiah', potentially the best we had. Now there is a real debate on whether he is worth a start or even a place off the bench. 

We have a very good squad and a lot of the 'fringe' players if we can call them that, have a genuine part to play.

Good job he did that cause he was utter shybo for the rest of his appearance!

Cracking finish though.

When it's 2-1 - do we want somebody who is utter shybo in your words, to not put that chance / vision in the onion bag and stay pressured at 2-1 OR...

I will let you make your own mind up.

When it's 2-1 - do we want somebody who is utter shybo in your words, to not put that chance / vision in the onion bag and stay pressured at 2-1 OR...

I will let you make your own mind up.

Very naive.

I look at his full contribution when he came on, not just the one off chance he got to lob the keeper running back after he'd been up for a corner.

I also believe, Matias, Forestieri, Bannan, Wallace and Lee could all have scored in that situation so let's not act like he's the only player in the squad capable of that moment.

Last year we had little to no options, so he stood out. This year we have plenty and if he wants to start games he needs to work harder.

Bannan and Lee put him to shame in terms of effort in that last 20 minutes despite having run there balls off all game.

Edited by B.A Baracus

It comes as no surprise I see some familiar names knocking McGugan that praise Nuhiu; which is interesting, because one has ability on the ball and scores goals. The other doesn't. Keep grafting Hattie - that's the most important thing to some.

To be fair Mcgugan wasn't very good when he came on. He was a passenger but that goal was brilliant.

I like Mcgugan but if he had played 90 minutes like he did for the most of the game today he would have been rightly hammered on here for his performance. I am taking nothing away from the goal though great vision and ability. He has it in his locker to play much better than he did today.

It was an absolutely textbook long range lob, it couldn't have been any better.

But he has to keep warming the bench for me unfortunately, because nobody in that midfield today deserves dropping, they have been fantastic over the last month.

Was the perfect lob. Dipped just in time & had their keeper scrambling.

Guest TommyTank

McGugan is a quality player capable of moments of brilliance.

Rather have him in our squad than lining up against him, he's not found consistency this season, so he's not in the side.

Coming off the bench into that game was always going to be difficult, Preston were playing well and on top.

However, rather than look at the negatives id rather look at his goal and be happy that we picked up another 3 points.

Each to their own i suppose.

#sillytwats

It was an absolutely textbook long range lob, it couldn't have been any better.

But he has to keep warming the bench for me unfortunately, because nobody in that midfield today deserves dropping, they have been fantastic over the last month.

It was great to finish the game off, but it did take a massive deflection off their defender, which stops it being a perfect goal, I suppose. I'm not sure it would have lobbed the keeper without the deflection, to be honest.

Regardless of that, it's brilliant to be debating whether Lewis McGugan deserves a starting place, considering he was by far our best midfielder when he first joined last season.