The dark days - who else was at this one?

Dark days!?!

That was a picnic compared to the mid 70s, stood on the open kop in p!ssing down rain, on a Tuesday night with the only hope that they may let us into the north before some of us perished!

Don't know their born nowadays.

Edited by lanzaroteowl

Another game that still lives in my memory from that season:

1ZfdSmr.jpg

Plymouth absolutely dismantled us in every single regard during that game.  It was like a school team playing against Barcelona.  Can't believe we managed to get a goal.

Was there that night and Plymouth absolutely battered us. Think DA went onto say that one of the reasons he hired KPS was because of how bloody good he got Plymouth to play.

Will trump this game though. Went to the away fixture and Plymouth beat us 2-0. Was a mid-week evening fixture & my first ever away game, think I was seven or eight. What possessed by step-dad to go to this or take me with him I'll never know. Had season tickets for 13 years now but never been big away goers, go to a handful a season at a push so this was a really random game to go to when I think about it. 

Can't remember much of the game, only that I think we barely had a sniff of goal. Think Graham Coughlan scored for them, Ian Stonebridge may have got the 2nd though don't quote me on that. Just seem to remember hearing his name. Don't think there was any atmosphere in the away end, we didn't take many. We made one sub all game & that was to bring Beswetherick on ffs! The rest of the bench was made up of youth team kids. 

Awful season. Truly awful. I mean, I only look back on it now though and think it was awful. This was my first proper season supporting Wednesday...I had little to compare it to & no real comprehension of our history or club size at the age of 7/8. 

I think a very late winner vs Bristol City at home is the only highlight I can think of that season. Graeme Lee I think...City were flying at the top of the league at the time. QPR created a real party atmosphere on that final game of the season when they got promoted & our players didn't come out for a lap of honour/appreciation.

I went to Gillingham when we got stuffed in the cup.

Spat on by a load of Kent oiks on the way back to the station. Miserable day

One of them may have been my Dad.

Apologies.

The 2003/2004 season has to be the worst one I can remember as a Wednesdayite. 

Alan Irvine did a mighty fine job of coming close to repeating the crapness in 2010/2011, but that season was just about spared with Milan taking over and the sense that, despite all the sh*te, we might be able to turn it around. 

2003/2004 had none of that. 

Started off by losing to Wrexham at home 3-2 and then throwing away a 2 goal lead to draw with Stockport a few weeks later. After this game I had to wait at the bus stop whilst Fishcake shouted at me about how Andorra reserves would have won 17-0. 

From what I recall the only player we had of any notable quality was Alan Quinn and the geniuses at the club decided to loan him out to Sunderland's reserve side for quarter of the season. 

Suppose Kuqi was ok as well, though I always thought he ran around like a clueless gimp. 

Most of the games after that just blur into a sea of w@nk, with the only highlight having been ending Bristol City's winning streak under Danny d*ckhead Wilson. 

There was getting d*cked on by Bournemouth, annihilated by Plymouth, getting beaten four times by Blackpool and then the worst game of football I've ever seen in my life: 

Sheffield Wednesday 0 

Rushden and Diamonds 0 

Words can't event describe how depressingly sh*te this game was. 

Sheff Wed: Lucas, Lee, Dean Smith, Bromby, Geary, McLaren, Mustoe, Barry-Murphy, Cooke, Proudlock, Holt. Subs: Pressman, Haslam, Jon Shaw, Wood, Reddy.

Rushden & D'monds: Turley, Bignot, Edwards, Hunter, Underwood, Mills, Bell, Gray, Burgess, Kitson, Jack. Subs: Dempster, Sambrook, Talbot, Story, Hall.

Referee: M Thorpe (Suffolk)

Edited by SiJ

The 2003/2004 season has to be the worst one I can remember as a Wednesdayite. 

Alan Irvine did a mighty fine job of coming close to repeating the crapness in 2010/2011, but that season was just about spared with Milan taking over and the sense that, despite all the sh*te, we might be able to turn it around. 

2003/2004 had none of that. 

Started off by losing to Wrexham at home 3-2 and then throwing away a 2 goal lead to draw with Stockport a few weeks later. After this game I had to wait at the bus stop whilst Fishcake shouted at me about how Andorra reserves would have won 17-0. 

From what I recall the only player we had of any notable quality was Alan Quinn and the geniuses at the club decided to loan him out to Sunderland's reserve side for quarter of the season. 

Suppose Kuqi was ok as well, though I always thought he ran around like a clueless gimp. 

Most of the games after that just blur into a sea of w@nk, with the only highlight having been ending Bristol City's winning streak under Danny d*ckhead Wilson. 

There was getting d*cked on by Bournemouth, annihilated by Plymouth, getting beaten four times by Blackpool and then the worst game of football I've ever seen in my life: 

Sheffield Wednesday 0 

Rushden and Diamonds 0 

Words can't event describe how depressingly sh*te this game was. 

Sheff Wed: Lucas, Lee, Dean Smith, Bromby, Geary, McLaren, Mustoe, Barry-Murphy, Cooke, Proudlock, Holt. Subs: Pressman, Haslam, Jon Shaw, Wood, Reddy.

Rushden & D'monds: Turley, Bignot, Edwards, Hunter, Underwood, Mills, Bell, Gray, Burgess, Kitson, Jack. Subs: Dempster, Sambrook, Talbot, Story, Hall.

Referee: M Thorpe (Suffolk)

Funny thing in we had a goal chalked off vs Rushden, wrongly so as well. Think Dean Smith scored but it got disallowed for climbing or something.

I remember losing to Blackpool in the LDV Vans Trophy area final second leg...and being inconsolable. I had dreams of actually getting to the final of a competition & we didn't even put up a fight. I mean, I was only 8 I think...so I really was in bits.

Didn't Tidman get injured after conceding a goal and young Poulter had to go in net? Think Reddy got us a consolation goal.

Think the only players I can look back & say I enjoyed watching were Quinn, Proudlock & Geary. Proudlock...back then...on his day...with the stars aligned...was quality for that league!

I was also in love with him. May have been my first Wednesday player crush.

Another game that still lives in my memory from that season:

1ZfdSmr.jpg

Plymouth absolutely dismantled us in every single regard during that game.  It was like a school team playing against Barcelona.  Can't believe we managed to get a goal.

This was the single game that when we appointed Paul Sturrock made me happy

This one always sticks out as a low point for me, I remember my mate turning to me on the way home  and announcing that he wouldn't be renewing his season ticket........it was November. He was true to his word and hasn't had one since.

There are a few decent players in that Grimsby team now that I look back at it at least.

post-24175-0-92565700-1441242800_thumb.p

Edited by Whitechapel Owl

Guest minsk owl

Sat     31st August 1968  League Division One      Sheffield Wednesday  5 - 4  Manchester United 

Wed   04th Sept    1968   League Cup                   Exeter City                  3 - 1  Sheffield Wednesday 

Just got back home in time to go to school .............  fookin' brilliant day out !!! 

This one always sticks out as a low point for me, I remember my mate turning to me on the way home  and announcing that he wouldn't be renewing his season ticket........it was November. He was true to his word and hasn't had one since.

There are a few decent players in that Grimsby team now that I look back at it at least.

attachicon.gifGrimsby.png

I was just thinking the exact opposite; about how far the standard of the championship has come since then

If you think those were dark days you need to take a look at these links for the 74/75 & 75/76 seasons. A few of us older ones on here were at most of those games which from a purely footballing perspective were about as depressing as it is possible to get certainly Wednesday at their lowest ever ebb.

Strangely enough though the camaraderie was excellent and in a strange way they were fun times.

http://www.adrianbullock.com/swfc/stats/lg1975.htm

http://www.adrianbullock.com/swfc/stats/lg1976.htm

For a real shock look at the attendances which on many occasions were under 10,000, Hillsborough was like a ghost stadium.

If you think those were dark days you need to take a look at these links for the 74/75 & 75/76 seasons. A few of us older ones on here were at most of those games which from a purely footballing perspective were about as depressing as it is possible to get certainly Wednesday at their lowest ever ebb.

Strangely enough though the camaraderie was excellent and in a strange way they were fun times.

http://www.adrianbullock.com/swfc/stats/lg1975.htm

http://www.adrianbullock.com/swfc/stats/lg1976.htm

For a real shock look at the attendances which on many occasions were under 10,000, Hillsborough was like a ghost stadium.

2 goals scored in the last 17 games!! Glad I wasn't around for that.