Who owns Vere Road... and why?

To sum up:

An investment Company had bought the freehold reversions to the remaining properties on Vere Road that are Leasehold still. This is not unusual.

Owning the freehold does not confer any rights to the land apart from to collect the very small ground rents per year.

Only once the Leases have expired (will be many 100's of years into the future knowing Sheffield Leases) does the freehold land have any appreciable value.

There is no nefarious scheme going on here.

No need to do any digging:

To sum up:

An investment Company had bought the freehold reversions to the remaining properties on Vere Road that are Leasehold still. This is not unusual.

Owning the freehold does not confer any rights to the land apart from to collect the very small ground rents per year.

Only once the Leases have expired (will be many 100's of years into the future knowing Sheffield Leases) does the freehold land have any appreciable value.

To sum up:

I agree though part of me does wonder if they think Wednesday might come along at some stage and try and buy the leasehold properties and they could do a Hooper and demand more dosh to ensure the deal goes ahead 

I agree though part of me does wonder if they think Wednesday might come along at some stage and try and buy the leasehold properties and they could do a Hooper and demand more dosh to ensure the deal goes ahead 

Depends on how long the leases are. If they are 999 year leases, just buy the houses, wait two years and force a purchase of the Freehold of each individual house under the Leasehold Reform Act 1967. The premium for each freehold acquisition would be determined by an Independent Surveyor  which would not be much at all.

Depends on how long the leases are. If they are 999 year leases, just buy the houses, wait two years and force a purchase of the Freehold of each individual house under the Leasehold Reform Act 1967. The premium for each freehold acquisition would be determined by an Independent Surveyor  which would not be much at all.

I didn't say their thinking was any good though :columbo: