-melo

-mcgucgan

-bannan

-fessi

-matias

-sougou

-Wallace

Even lavery to add to that

why do you write random players in capitals? you've been doing it for ages & its reight annoying lol

Guest ranmoor owl

We've been playing 4-1-4-1.

if it changes to 4-2-3-1...

Hutch-Lee

mcgugan-forestieri-matias

Joao

I agree with this, our width is meant to come from full backs so mcgugan wouldnt be on wing, lee and hutch give protection if full backs push on.

Hutch/Lee - Bannan/Lopez

Sougou/Wallace/Forestieri - Forestieri/McGugan - Matias/Wallace/Forestieri

Nice to have options :P

My first pick would be, (although could change quickly):

Hutch - Bannan

Forestieri - McGugan - Matias

Edited by BenitoCarbone

Guest UpTheOwlsss

why do you write random players in capitals? you've been doing it for ages & its reight annoying lol

I do apologise haha its annoying for me

My phone does it automatically !

Stupid iPhone

For me, 4-2-3-1 will never work in the Championship (although being honest, the formation is 4-1-2-2-1)

The 1 or 2 defensive midfielders in the middle have too much work to do, they even get dragged out wide to help fullbacks.

At times vs. Middlesborough, Hutchinson dropped so far back we had a back 5. Completely inviting Middlesborough onto us.

Atmosphere in Hillsborough completely changed when Nuhiu and Joao were both up front, we looked dangerous.

Our formation was a shambles when we we're looking a 2nd

Hutch - Lopez

Wallace Forestieri Matias

Hutch obviously in as one of the 2 needs to be a defensive midfielder and lopez next to him as he would be able to play a deeper role better than googs or bannan. Forestieri in the hole between the 2 and the striker almost in a free role just linking the midfield to the striker. Wallace and Matias on wings because they are the most creative and can both cut inside and link up with forest

For me, 4-2-3-1 will never work in the Championship (although being honest, the formation is 4-1-2-2-1)

The 1 or 2 defensive midfielders in the middle have too much work to do, they even get dragged out wide to help fullbacks.

At times vs. Middlesborough, Hutchinson dropped so far back we had a back 5. Completely inviting Middlesborough onto us.

Atmosphere in Hillsborough completely changed when Nuhiu and Joao were both up front, we looked dangerous.

Some good points, but the formation can definitely work at this level. Bournemouth, Norwich, Watford (at times), Boro all successfully used it last season. Derby looked strong until they changed from it.

From what I've seen of us this season, our problem is, we don't squeeze the game up in to the oppositions half. We're too deep. Happy to sit and invite teams on then look to exploit the space they leave when their move breaks down.

Look at the top teams who use that formation, like City (or Bournemouth last season at our level), they squeeze everything up and force the opposition to play it long. High defensive line and high pressing and closing down.

Then you need the likes of Silva, Ritchie etc (now Forestieri in our case) to find the gaps that your quick mobile forward makes.

I like 442 and want to see us use it when we need to, but there's still plenty to come from our current set up. Just needs tweaking a bit for me. Really could have done with a Vydra, Hooper type though

Guest wilyfox

Think we're best suited to 4-3-3, personally.

GK. Westwood, Price

LB. Pudil, Wiggins

CB. Turner, Loovens

CB. Lees, Sasso

RB. Hunt, Palmer

LM. McGugan, Bannan

CM. Hutchinson, Melo, Semedo

RM. Lopez, Lee

LW. Matias, Wallace

CF. Joao, Nuhiu, Bus

RW. Forestieri, Sougou

Surplus: Lachman, Dielna, Helan, Lavery.

4-2-3-1 can work in this league, when Alex Neil took over at Norwich they played that system and became the best team in the league in the form guide. I don't think 4-3-3 is working for us so far as there's no link between midfield and the forwards. Carlos says now he has Forestieri he can play the system he wants, which is linking midfield to strikers so I fully expect us to have 4 lines of players from now. Could be 4-4-1-1 but I expect it will be 4-2-3-1, as that's the formation Chelsea, Man City etc are adopting now

Furthermore I think we are overloaded with central midfield players and 4-2-3-1 is the best way to get them all into the side. But a must is Joao or Bus playing as the lone striker :)

Edited by Southie_Owl

Middlesboro dominated us in the first half playing a 4231 formation.

I think Hutchinson's days are numbered, in the light of his injury problems.  Against Middlesborough when he got injured there was no contact with another player at all.  Bearing in mind his propensity to make dangerous tackles resulting in regular bookings, as well as the injury problems, I doubt he will play more than 15 games this season.

With regard to the OP's question, My choice would be:

Melo               Lee

Sougou                                 Matias

Forestieri

Agree with the other post, it's 4-1-4-1

As things stand we're very weak down the left, we don't have a consistent defensive midfielder, and we're persisting with a low tempo approach both on and off the ball. There's next to no pressing the main playmakers of our opposition. We stand off too much.

Regardless of the formation, until we address this we'll have problems