Marquee signing

According to numerous posters over the last few weeks we were going to be amazed at the signings coming in. Now I'm happy with the recruitment so far but would it be fair to say we havent signed a marquee player (certainly considering the ticket prices). If we are to make one, what are of the pitch and who might it be, also who would fans deem suitable to warrant the suspected prices?

But is kj really a marquee signing? I would love us to sign jr as personally I feel he is the best finisher outside the prem by a country mile, but would not feel comfortable at the price quoted nor sure he would fit into the system I suspect cc wants to play.

Guest wilyfox

Only problem is that that's fewer than 6 goals for every year he's been in the Prem!  :duntmatter:

We're not at that level, so I don't see it as a problem until we are. You don't get a 7yr prem career for being rubbish, and a quantity of goals aren't easy to come by up there.

We're not at that level, so I don't see it as a problem until we are. You don't get a 7yr prem career for being rubbish, and a quantity of goals aren't easy to come by up there.

I dunno Wily... Steven Fletcher and Emile Heskey have done a good job of making it...  lol

Couple of things - 

1. I've asked about this before but to my knowledge it wasn't substantiated so effectively the "marquee signing" is a bit of an OT myth, I don't believe anyone at the club has ever said this?

2. Regardless, I firmly believe it was our intention to sign a couple of higher profile English players that may have fitted the bill, certainly one of those would have been a centre forward, however it looks likely we've just been priced out. By priced out I mean we are unwilling to spend the ludicrous amounts of money it would now take to lure the likes of Rhodes or Wickham to S6, I for one am pleased about this. Whatever we build it needs to be sustainable, the chairman has stated this previously.

Whilst not blown away I'm pretty happy with our transfer activity so far, there's certainly room for improvement though. Even with the expertise on hand the signing of players must still be pretty daunting to Mr Chansiri, he's had a lot to get his head around in a short space of time. Seriously, outside of banking, does any other world exist where you pay someone a fantastic wage then pay them again to score goals or create them......obviously incentives exist in business but not to the degree we see in football, speculation of course but I believe these are the kinds of things that have slowed our transfer activity and possibly cost us a few deals on the way. We need to get better at these things and I'm certain we will in time.

I don't recall Burnley making a marquee signing to get promoted.

Or Bournemouth come to that. Yeah they paid over £3m for Wilson, the then Coventry youngster was hardly a marquee signing He certainly turned out to be one though

Edited by gurujuan