Is this the best close season ever ?

Sad thing is some of our younger fans have never seen us mix it with the best or ever seen the likes of Waddle; Sheridan, Hirst, Walker, Nilsson, Harkes, Di Canio or Carbone, etc in a Wednesday shirt.

For the most part all they've ever known is relegations, a couple of promotions from the third tier, losing our best players for pittance and seeing the likes of Teale; O'Connor, Sedgwick, Potter, Purse, Bothroyd, Taylor-Fletcher, Sidibe, etc

I feel sorry for the poor lil sods not old enough to have seen us in the 80's and 90's.

Hopefully we're on the long road to something exciting and special again. For those who've never seen us mix it with the best and for those of us who've stayed loyal through the bleak times.

This is relative and only concerns adults,

My young uns 11 and 9 love swfc as much as I did as a kid. They prefer it if we were on motd, but it doesn't make them less love Wednesday any less.

This is relative and only concerns adults,

My young uns 11 and 9 love swfc as much as I did as a kid. They prefer it if we were on motd, but it doesn't make them less love Wednesday any less.

Of course and no doubting that.

I meant, they probably ain't seen us looking like world-beaters, packed full of quality players in the shirt. I genuinely feel sorry for those fans but excited for them, incase they see us looking like quality and for myself and us oldies too. There is no number 1 fan, we've all been through it one way or another. Hopefully we can all enjoy good times again together or at least enjoy the ride again.

Sad thing is some of our younger fans have never seen us mix it with the best or ever seen the likes of Waddle; Sheridan, Hirst, Walker, Nilsson, Harkes, Di Canio or Carbone, etc in a Wednesday shirt.

For the most part all they've ever known is relegations, a couple of promotions from the third tier, losing our best players for pittance and seeing the likes of Teale; O'Connor, Sedgwick, Potter, Purse, Bothroyd, Taylor-Fletcher, Sidibe, etc

I feel sorry for the poor lil sods not old enough to have seen us in the 80's and 90's.

Hopefully we're on the long road to something exciting and special again. For those who've never seen us mix it with the best and for those of us who've stayed loyal through the bleak times.

Don't be.

I'm glad I missed it, apparently 90s nostalgia makes you misarable as sin.

About every damn thing.

Been a shut summer really. It just shows how poo poo previous simmers have been lol.

25 years?

Jesus Christ

It's our best for 15 years... Think that's long enough to wait for a decent pre season

Edited by zakswfc

Don't be.

I'm glad I missed it, apparently 90s nostalgia makes you misarable as sin.

About every damn thing.

This. I remember players like Sodje and Simel with great fondness.

Good players are a bonus, all I've ever known is garbage. My favourite player was Adam Proudlock for goodness sake!

Guest Distraught!

We got McCalliog from Chelsea as a teenager for £37,000 surely that's the best we've ever done

Mmmmm ................ If the debate's coming down to individual players, McCalliog must certainly be up there with Hirsty from the Dingles (not sure about summer closed season's collectively though).

Guest Fedor

For me it was 90/91 preseason. Holding on to the likes of Nilsson, sheridan, Hirst etc when they could have left after relegation. We did lose Dalian but Williams was a better fit for the team.

Guest Distraught!

The pre season 1902 was a cracker, just before our upcoming 2 year dominance of English football. Those were the days. 

I have to agree but just imagine how different things could have been if we had just thrown that extra thruppence at it and landed teenage Kevin Phillips - we could have dominated football for the next 115 years and even beaten Huddersfield's all time 11854 game unbeaten run.

:manager:

If Owlstalk had been around in 1992, there'd have been 50 threads full of numpties moaning about us spending seven figures on a past-it 32 year old, and how Ligue 1 is a "poor standard".

'93, they'd have been moaning about spending £2.7m on an error- and injury-prone CB who can't get a game in Italy.

Hindsight is 20/20.