Lavery, May & Nuhiu

Having a pool of 4 or 5 strikers to pick from allows the coach to adapt his tactics mid-game if necessary. It's well established that Carvalhal favours a 4-3-3 system, in which Nuhiu or Bus could perhaps play the central role (though I reckon we'll bring in someone to play this role) and Lavery could play out wide.

The one who clearly doesn't fit in this setup is May, but that's not necessarily to say he has no place in the squad: over the course of a season, and even within a single game, managers adapt and might need to find different ways of playing. If we play 2 upfront at any point, then May could still have a role to play.

Either way, it will be fascinating to watch how Carlos shapes his strike force for next season now that he's able to assess them in training.

Having a pool of 4 or 5 strikers to pick from allows the coach to adapt his tactics mid-game if necessary. It's well established that Carvalhal favours a 4-3-3 system, in which Nuhiu or Bus could perhaps play the central role (though I reckon we'll bring in someone to play this role) and Lavery could play out wide.

The one who clearly doesn't fit in this setup is May, but that's not necessarily to say he has no place in the squad: over the course of a season, and even within a single game, managers adapt and might need to find different ways of playing. If we play 2 upfront at any point, then May could still have a role to play.

Either way, it will be fascinating to watch how Carlos shapes his strike force for next season now that he's able to assess them in training.

I think that's the key - of the current pool i think only Bus has a realistic chance of a regular start being a Mr C signing so to say. I think Lavery might end up going out on another loan. I can't see May and Nuhiu in the starting eleven and therefore, could be better moving on unless they're happy to part of the bigger squad. I think we'll bring in at least two strikers who will be seen as a first team start to fit the new system.

you dont say....

i pointed out that i understood the cliche, and tbf your right cos i could pick 1000s of goals out to prove the point that scoring 'that' goal was indeed one of the hardest thing to do in football..

but i could also point to 1000s of goals where the scorer didnt even know he had scored cos it hit him, or a tap in where the ball bounces of the post straight into your path... 

any goals a goal right? they all count? (even tap ins an penaltys) ....

so if you wanna say  'scoring a goal is the hardest thing to do' you would be wrong.

the defender that inadvertantly scored a lucky goal off his back....in the same game he marked messi in a 7-1 defeat..

which part of the game did this guy find most difficult? dealing with messi or the consolation goal he got for his team?

The notion of scoring a goal is the way in which you have to break the other team down, not just the culmination of the move as you are suggesting. Defending Messi or not that just makes your end job of trying to score even harder; so yes it is the hardest part of the game

need a target man to change things around if needbe for the last 20 minutes or so, no idea who though apart from if we can get someone like Kenwyn Jones back.

Matt Smith who was at Leeds was a missed opportunity imo

I agree with Wily, May is the one most under threat. All the others bring something to the game, May came on or started last season and sometimes I was struggling to remember what he had done. He needs to get on the weights that's for sure. Lavery has some pace and is skillful, Dave is physical and has skill, Bus we're yet to see the best of I think but he looked useful in patches, May can finish but in this league you've got to get there with either Skill, pace or physicality and I haven't seen enough of those from May yet. He may come good with a better team round him who knows?

I still think we will be looking at 1 or 2 strikers and that some of ours will move out.

Guest wilyfox

800k at this level?

HAHAHAHAHA 800k is what some 'top end' teams pay for reserve players at this level.

No it's not. 800k bought us Antonio who was a big player for us. 800k bought Huddersfield James Vaughan from the premier league. It's also not far off what Leicester paid for Vardy, and Brentford for Gray. Admittedly, fees have soared outrageously this summer - but that comes as no surprise because of new FFP regs allowing more shareholder investment. Clubs with their finances under control and wanting to spend...can.

So, 800k this summer will seem very modest indeed. But over the last 2-3yrs, it was a tidy sum to spend because so few could afford it.

They all have different styles and who knows which will blossom under a new style of play. Maybe all 4?  I don't think May has improved at all since he joined, he looks out of his depth but he'll get his chance.   Bus is an unknown quantity.  Lavery has great potential and could play even better under new tactics.  The one I hope comes good most of all is Nuhiu, he is under rated by many and is the most hard working player at the club.

Lavery and May have nearly identical goals to game ratio for us in the league (Lavery 1 in 5.1, May 1 in 5.7) so why do we rate Lavery so much more than May?

Guest wilyfox

Lavery and May have nearly identical goals to game ratio for us in the league (Lavery 1 in 5.1, May 1 in 5.7) so why do we rate Lavery so much more than May?

I don't think there is much between them. Although, Lavery is a little taller and stronger. You need to cope with the physicality of the championship, and Lavery does that better than May. When fit and given a run in the side, Lavery also shows signs of improvement. May does not.

Personally, I still think May is the one in danger. 800k was a sizeable outlay for us, and when that kind of money is paid for a player at this level, they must deliver. As excited I was when he joined, I really wanted him to succeed. But as last season progressed, there were no signs that he was getting to grips with the championship. The second half of his season was less productive than the first. It needed to be the other way around for encouragement.

4-3-3 (if that is Carvalhal's formation of choice) doesn't really accommodate a poacher like May either, in my opinion. He doesn't have the strength, physical presence, or hold-up play for the central role. Nor does he have the pace and craft to play either side. There aren't many redeeming features to speak of. His strongest facet is supposedly his finishing - but even that let him down last term.

If he stays, I'll hope he proves me wrong - as much as the next fan. He'll need to improve tenfold for that to happen.

Slightly disagree with this. 

Some of the blame must be pointed at Gray - it was criminal when he was shoved out wide. Completely ineffective out there and his confidence probably took a bit of a battering because of it. He needs to be in the box, not playing on the wing!!

May strikes me as the type of forward to play on the last defenders shoulder - and the lack of creativity from our midfield meant he was feeding on scraps pretty much all season. I remember Huddersfield away (McGugans first came) he looked really lively and was running all over the place - and he was seriously unlucky not to score (hitting both the post and bar in the same effort). 

I hope the increase in creativity will see a huge improvement in him. Alongside this, a full preseason and a full years experience in the Championship will also stand him in good stead. 

I personally think he has a role to play next season - and quite a big one as well. 

Edited by Shifty Powers

I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy if we signed a top proven goal scorer, but I think I'd rather see us spend the top money on creative players & give the ones we have some service. If they still can't score then clearly they're not good enough & we move them on.

This years all about building. We've got a solid defence, we know the limitations of the midfielders we have so let's build that next. The final piece is the strikers.

I think a lot of people forget that May started brightly and hit a lot of woodwork and forced saves from keepers. With a little more luck he could have really pushed on but instead his confidence took a real knock and he got poorer and poorer. This season could be a new start for him with his first Championship season under his belt and better players around him.

But if we can buy better players, let's do it

I think a lot of people forget that May started brightly and hit a lot of woodwork and forced saves from keepers. With a little more luck he could have really pushed on but instead his confidence took a real knock and he got poorer and poorer. This season could be a new start for him with his first Championship season under his belt and better players around him.

But if we can buy better players, let's do it

I think some people forget a lot about May. They just look at his goal tally, the fact that he gets knocked off the ball too easy (which he does), and it's enough to convince them that he's not good enough to play at this level. Footballs never that simple.

Slightly disagree with this. 

Some of the blame must be pointed at Gray - it was criminal when he was shoved out wide. Completely ineffective out there and his confidence probably took a bit of a battering because of it. He needs to be in the box, not playing on the wing!!

May strikes me as the type of forward to play on the last defenders shoulder - and the lack of creativity from our midfield meant he was feeding on scraps pretty much all season. I remember Huddersfield away (McGugans first came) he looked really lively and was running all over the place - and he was seriously unlucky not to score (hitting both the post and bar in the same effort). 

I hope the increase in creativity will see a huge improvement in him. Alongside this, a full preseason and a full years experience in the Championship will also stand him in good stead. 

I personally think he has a role to play next season - and quite a big one as well.

May isn't strong enough to play that central striking role, especially in Carvalhal's preferred system, and as you say, he looks lost when asked to play wide. If we can't find any better, he'd be OK to bring off the bench if we were chasing the game, and needed an extra striker in the box

May isn't strong enough to play that central striking role, especially in Carvalhal's preferred system, and as you say, he looks lost when asked to play wide. If we can't find any better, he'd be OK to bring off the bench if we were chasing the game, and needed an extra striker in the box

Having said that, I'm confident that we can find better