Lavery, May & Nuhiu

At the risk of being ridiculed I am going to say I think we should put our faith in these three until the xmas transfer window.

I really do think May will come good. He's still young and had so little created for him last season that when a chance did come along he probably felt immense pressure knowing another chance was unlikely. He can finish and has proved that in Scotland, yes it was a low quality league but the goals are still the same size.

Nuhiu is always good to have for an aerial threat and who knows what he could be like if he has quality crosses being put into the box.

As for Lavery, I would use him as back up for now and potentially move him to another championship team on loan just to get more games under his belt.

If come xmas they still can't perform then we can look to find better.

Guest domSWFC

I honestly think, if we can sign Wallace, Kim and now we've got Matias, we could finally see the best of players like Nuhiu, May, Lavery and Bus. We barely created chances last season, and they were working off scraps. With a more positive attacking system, I'm sure they will get goals. 

Nuhiu-Not good enough, sorry Atdhe.

Caolan Lavery-Brilliant natural finisher, best striker here.

Stevie May-Great player, puts opposition defenders under pressure so can cause mistakes and he'll get more goals this season.

Bus-Not seen much of him, I reckon he'll be amazing though.

I've seen a lot mentioned about Nuhui been an aerial threat with decent crosses coming in.........he is actually woeful in the air for his siz

Big Daddy was also woeful in the air...when Giant Haystacks and Scrubber Daily were pinning him to the floor.

Guest wilyfox

Personally, I still think May is the one in danger. 800k was a sizeable outlay for us, and when that kind of money is paid for a player at this level, they must deliver. As excited I was when he joined, I really wanted him to succeed. But as last season progressed, there were no signs that he was getting to grips with the championship. The second half of his season was less productive than the first. It needed to be the other way around for encouragement.

4-3-3 (if that is Carvalhal's formation of choice) doesn't really accommodate a poacher like May either, in my opinion. He doesn't have the strength, physical presence, or hold-up play for the central role. Nor does he have the pace and craft to play either side. There aren't many redeeming features to speak of. His strongest facet is supposedly his finishing - but even that let him down last term.

If he stays, I'll hope he proves me wrong - as much as the next fan. He'll need to improve tenfold for that to happen.

I liked SG but the one thing that bugged me about him was his continuous spouting to the media ALL SEASON that the hardest thing to do in football is to 'score a goal'...

i mean, i know the cliche, but its not though is it. else you would never score off your backside/knee/mis-kick/scuffed shot..

seem to remember Lavery scoring at home last season at lepp end, (cardiff or fulham maybe) tapped it in from a yard.... yes he made a good run to get on the end of it but the actual act of getting the ball over the line was a piece of weewee - but listening to SG talk an its no wonder the strikers where snatching at everything!

not to mention the lack of goalscoring support from other areas - im sure forwards have barren spells at other clubs but if your centre backs can head a couple of winners to stop all the drawn games then the pressure doesnt build as badly for the striker during his drought,

signings like Hunt, Matias and others to add means last season aint even a barometer to judge our forwards, the judging is going on everyday atm during pre season training.. 

one of the 4 will probably leave but people shouldnt be surprised if 2 of the other 3 are way way better than people have been giving them credit for.

Guest wilyfox

I liked SG but the one thing that bugged me about him was his continuous spouting to the media ALL SEASON that the hardest thing to do in football is to 'score a goal'...

I didn't like it either. The more he spoke of the problem, the bigger an issue it became. Scoring goals turned into mission impossible for us. You don't instil belief and confidence by making it sound so difficult. Wouldn't surprise me if our forwards were paranoid about missing opportunities.

I didn't like it either. The more he spoke of the problem, the bigger an issue it became. Scoring goals turned into mission impossible for us. You don't instil belief and confidence by making it sound so difficult. Wouldn't surprise me if our forwards were paranoid about missing opportunities.

thats exactly what i was trying to get across.....well said.

Personally, I still think May is the one in danger. 800k was a sizeable outlay for us, and when that kind of money is paid for a player at this level, they must deliver. As excited I was when he joined, I really wanted him to succeed. But as last season progressed, there were no signs that he was getting to grips with the championship. The second half of his season was less productive than the first. It needed to be the other way around for encouragement.

4-3-3 (if that is Carvalhal's formation of choice) doesn't really accommodate a poacher like May either, in my opinion. He doesn't have the strength, physical presence, or hold-up play for the central role. Nor does he have the pace and craft to play either side. There aren't many redeeming features to speak of. His strongest facet is supposedly his finishing - but even that let him down last term.

If he stays, I'll hope he proves me wrong - as much as the next fan. He'll need to improve tenfold for that to happen.

800k at this level?

HAHAHAHAHA 800k is what some 'top end' teams pay for reserve players at this level. 

i mean, i know the cliche, but its not though is it. else you would never score off your backside/knee/mis-kick/scuffed shot..

seem to remember Lavery scoring at home last season at lepp end, (cardiff or fulham maybe) tapped it in from a yard.... yes he made a good run to get on the end of it but the actual act of getting the ball over the line was a piece of weewee - but listening to SG talk an its no wonder the strikers where snatching at everything!

not to mention the lack of goalscoring support from other areas - im sure forwards have barren spells at other clubs but if your centre backs can head a couple of winners to stop all the drawn games then the pressure doesnt build as badly for the striker during his drought,

signings like Hunt, Matias and others to add means last season aint even a barometer to judge our forwards, the judging is going on everyday atm during pre season training.. 

one of the 4 will probably leave but people shouldnt be surprised if 2 of the other 3 are way way better than people have been giving them credit for.

Its not just the act of kicking the ball over the line, or anyone who can kick a ball would be able to do it. Its down to team style, movement, timing, reaction time, coolness and more

Hence scoring a goal is the hardest thing to do.

you dont say....

i pointed out that i understood the cliche, and tbf your right cos i could pick 1000s of goals out to prove the point that scoring 'that' goal was indeed one of the hardest thing to do in football..

but i could also point to 1000s of goals where the scorer didnt even know he had scored cos it hit him, or a tap in where the ball bounces of the post straight into your path... 

any goals a goal right? they all count? (even tap ins an penaltys) ....

so if you wanna say  'scoring a goal is the hardest thing to do' you would be wrong.

the defender that inadvertantly scored a lucky goal off his back....in the same game he marked messi in a 7-1 defeat..

which part of the game did this guy find most difficult? dealing with messi or the consolation goal he got for his team?

I reckon we'll be in playing 4-3-3 next season and would like us to bring another centre forward in. Lavery does a could job in playing on the left/right. If look to shift on 1 of Nuhui, May or Bus. Even if only on loan for a short term.