Carvalhal first official video interview.

Well Spoken and its great to get the feeling of a new and fresh approach, which is long over due.

Lets all hope it works out well adopting this "modern" style.  I think it will and the players we bring in will be already adapted to

this style.  I'd imagine this is why we are shopping abroad currently.

m

I also think this management setup has been planned for a long time,  maybe why we signed Melo / Bus.

i agree, probably been in place all along

Guest totemowl

I think the most telling moment of this whole interview is between 2:00 and 2:30. He talks about 'the most important thing' and it wasn't promotion, it is that we play exciting, entertaining football. He talks about it in a way that could only have come from one person - the owner. Which implies that Chansiri was not going to put up with the low scoring football as played under Gray any longer and he wanted a big change in the way we play. So Gray was sacked.

From the outside looking in it appears that a specific way of doing things has been on the agenda probably since the first day DC came into the club?

Perhaps the signings in January gave us a little clue but we obviously didn't realise it at the time?

When all is said and done you don't spend the best part of £40M on a business and don't have some sort of idea of how to get the best out of it and take it forward.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the long term plan is to have CC's football ideology go right through the club and be seen as much at Academy level as the first team.

TBH I see us developing more like a Swansea rather than a Southampton but then again it could turn out to be a bit of both? Either way I'm interested to see how the Wednesday Project develops.

Good luck to the guy. Hope he does well because I want the club to do well.

My main reservation is that foreign players often take a long time to find their feet in English football. If we get off to a slow start he may not be around long enough to build a successful team.

Guest TommyTank

I can't imagine anybody thought we'd be spending Premiership money, the problem being when the chairman says "Premiership in 2 years" that's a statement of intent right there!you don't expect to be signing 2 players in their prime plying.their trade at what really is a poor level of football and not getting much game time at that.

We've been here before trying our luck on foreign imports and failing miserabley, ask yourself what little gems has our new coach picked up though his mangerial career?

Let's be clear we have tried to reach the promise land on the cheap it's never worked, you need to have a budget that equals the top 6 or somewhere near, whether that be in wages or transfer fee, maybe this is what's planned but listening to our new coach he seems to imply that we will be picking up players whom haven't quite clicked/ found their feet at other clubs and we seriously think there isn't a 1000 other clubs doing this?

The other option is to build the club up from grassroots but this can fail and be a massive gamble.

It's not being about negative it's about being a realist( no not our resident Wordsworth)

Like I said when we were bought out during the season the chairman said 2 years to get to the Premiership, we were all doing somersaults on the money we were going to spend, who we were going to buy and then there was a new pitch a scoreboard, "crikey it's really happening!!"

Or so we think.

Nobody but nobody thought we'd have the set up we now have, deflated? Defiantly, I will be right behind this new era but and its a big but I reserve judgement and things may improve, We have come out the traps at a cantor not a sprint and that's where it's worrying.

We are looking at players who have done well at a club, moved on and up a level and it didnt work.

You could look at players who have gone from the Championship to the Premiership and its not worked out, you could put Liam Bridcutt, Will Buckley and Chris Wood in that bracket, maybe even Connor Wickham to an extent.

Im pretty sure that is the type of player most of us would be pleased to see.

How many people in Portugal or Holland would have heard of Chris Wood??

Its just the same, we are only judging players on a name, its slightly messed up in my opinion.

Known foreign players arent going to play in the Championship, they are known for a reason.

Some of the best players in the Championship last season were unknown before the season, Vossen, Vetokele, Jota, ****, those players are now worth a couple of mill.

Watfords squad is based on this method, oh and Deeney who they got out of prison on the cheap.

Im pretty sure we will see a few other imports and we may see some British based players.

I personally don't care, if they are good players and we build a good squad then what the f'k are we moaning about.

We have loads to do and we need to get it right, it was always going to take time.

Just looked at his record, seems to get sacked quicker than we would over here. One after looseing 5 in 11. I get the feeling the season may start well but quickly trail off. I have concerns the players in December (not the loans) where chosen by the same person    as the players coming in now. I thought the overall level of the championship was the poorest for a few years. Previously it had increased risk in quality rapidly. I think this year it will leap forward and our new players will be found wanting. So many will have to settle quick and preform.

Edited by ashley8

Good luck to the guy. Hope he does well because I want the club to do well.

My main reservation is that foreign players often take a long time to find their feet in English football. If we get off to a slow start he may not be around long enough to build a successful team.

My thoughts exactly

Very good strategy when competing with clubs who will cough up millions using parachute payments etc.

Attack it from a different angle,

Assombalonga & McCormack 20 million ? Why not scout Europe for a couple of similar players who maybe fallen out of favour etc with similar skillset available for peanuts compared to those two .

Then whenever we can negotiate a "fair" deal for a proven target we bring them in to strengthen and add value to the squad.

How dare you post such a sensible thing on Owlstalk, don't you know we just need to always, whatever the circumstances play with "two up top" and sign some big lads with "passion" ?

It came from the pigs taking the wee wee for a start.

I thought it came from a coincidental run of players/managers calling us massive in interviews a few years back, which people picked up on and used as a tongue-in-cheek way to annoy the Blades with how much bigger than them we are?

I thought it came from a coincidental run of players/managers calling us massive in interviews a few years back, which people picked up on and used as a tongue-in-cheek way to annoy the Blades with how much bigger than them we are?

so did I

It started when we signed Bywater and he referred to us as 'massive' about twenty times in his first RS interview.

It drove the pigs nuts so we kept it up to annoy them.

I first saw it in a youtube video years ago about a drunk Wednesday fan getting laughed at by the lad behind the bar and his mate.

The Wednesday fan slurred "we're flippingmassive" and two pigs were laughing at him.

But to me it seemed tongue in cheek and the pigs looked mugs for laughing at him.

Apparently some Wednesday lads were going to have a word with the bar man and the video got took down.

This was before I'd ever heard massive before but I dunno maybe its not the origin?