Carvalhal first official video interview.

Quite a long winded explanation of how our recruitment policy will be based around loans.

Bloke comes across really well.

That was my first reaction, but thinking again he might not have just expressed loans. Could have meant we'll be going for players in the Premiership who he thinks should be in and around their respective first team squads but have fallen out of favour.

All in all I'm excited. Welcome Carlos

Edited by Tommo_SWFC

Understood his interview better than most English managers tbh  :manager:

Really like how excited he is to get the season started. Like his vision of the way he wants to play too. It's also clear now that we will be looking mainly for good players who aren't getting too much action at their current clubs, may not be too many marquee signings then but if we are looking at good clubs then I think we maybe be pleasantly surprised at the new recruits when we see them in action.

Gives me optimism watching that interview, I think we could be in good hands with this guy. I think Semedo and Melo will clearly have big roles to play this season too, wouldn't be at all suprised to see some more Portugese players brought in. After all why not? If he knows who the hidden gems are from Portugal and they are physically capable to play in the Championship, it could work out very nicely.

I think it sounded more like players that are in the starting 11 of teams, especially in this country, are well over priced. And whilst we want quality players we have to be shrewd. Tom Lees is the example of the type of business you can do 'on the cheap'.

We're not going to be on the cheap. And whilst it would feel good to see us spunk millions on a striker, Watford have shown that you don't really have to do that. Money helps. But proper scouting works just as well.

We'll see. I wasn't advocating throwing money about like Jordan Belfort.

Solid interview, he comes across as intelligent, enthusiastic and personable. Given the amount of change we are implementing anyone taking this job would need time, I hope the fans can give him that and we show a bit of patience. 

Quite a long winded explanation of how our recruitment policy will be based around loans.

Bloke comes across really well.

Wouldn't say that. Just players that aren't in the first team picture at clubs, but knows they are good players. Talks about offering the contracts then, you don't really give players loan contracts so I imagine he's meaning permanent deals.

If you think that he'll have seen our defensive record, and where we finished in the league.....he might be thinking that he only needs to change things past the halfway line. Half the job is done here.

Maybe yeah, I thought that is all Gray needed to do.

But to play more aggressive attacking football we will need to be more open and rely on ball retention rather than a sit deep and soak up approach.

I hope he knows how to win ugly when needed

The recruitment strategy he speaks about sounds like Moneyball to me.

Cheap, out of favour players who in theory can bring a lot. Could be very exciting (or a hideous mess). lol

I'm still worried about this bit. We shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket

Likeable guy,seems to enjoy being on the training ground with the players. Supposedly a thinker and a tactician and likes to play attacking football.

As long as we give it a go and have some entertainment, I can live with not going up this season.

Same here, Hillsborough has been such a dull place to watch football the last year or two. And the atmosphere has really suffered as a result. I just haven't had the same passion to go watch games as you just start to know to expect a dull game.

I don't expect promotion this year, if CC can get us playing positive entertaining football and show the basis of a long term plan in place, I will be happy. Most importantly get some excitement back at hillsborough and get fans looking forward to games again. 

For me along with what pretty much every other message seems to be saying in here, about patience, passion, enthusiasm, can't built Rome in a day and so on.

It was actually his reference to "players who maybe haven't played for their clubs much but that WE KNOW are good players, this can be for different reasons and we must be open to all opportunities to look at bringing these players in".

I believe that this is to let us know that a lot has been said on OwlsTalk, Twitter etc about the transfer policy as it stands and that they're aware of a consensus amongst some fans but not to worry, it will all work out and as they know what they're doing?

I feel a big enough number will struggle to go beyond the tried and tested championship players they'd like us to bring in but this is a new era, new coaching and management ethos that includes foreign imports with which I don't disagree with to be fair... how many times have we tried British players and most have turned out gash... what do we have to lose?

Onwards and upwards I say and they all have my backing very much so!!! UTO