Carlos Carvalhal, Mr Chansiri & the new regime : Some Perspective

In recent weeks Mr Chansiri and the new regime have come in for some negative criticism, which was essentially caused by the lack of information coming out of Hillsborough with regards to the appointment of a new manager / head coach. This has now been resolved with the appointment of Carlos Carvalhal, yet i detect that there is still some cynicism hanging in the air and doubts about the new head coach, Mr Chansiri and the new regime as a whole. This is understandable as it's a break from tradition, but i do think that some of the observations or comments have been over exaggerated, to the point where people seem to view the club as almost going backwards in recent weeks and days. I think it's time for rational thought and some proper perspective.

First off, Mr Chansiri bought the club for 37 million pounds. He paid off all the outstanding loans against the Hillsborough stadium and has effectively made us debt free. He has installed a new state of the art high tech desso pitch to the tune of around 1.5 million. He is also installing a new scoreboard which will have also cost a fair amount of money. Mr Chansiri has not invested near on 40 million pounds to stagnate and go backwards. Sure, there will be mistakes and that is bound to happen, but Mr Chansiri is trying to move the club forward with a new regime that is copied from the continent and is slowly being implemented by other British teams. The day's of the traditional coaching / management systems are drawing to an end.

Last season Gray did a decent job. We had a good defence and finished in a comfortable mid table position. However, the style of play was abysmal, only managing five wins all season at Hillsborough. Gray was never going to be the man to take us forward, even with a a bigger budget. His football philosophy was caution first and to do well the opposite approach is required. I think that Gray walked over not having total say over which players came to the club, but i also think that Mr Chansiri did listen to the fans and would have been aware that they were not happy with the approach and overall style of play last season. I think its important to not only be successful, but to also give entertainment at the same time. This will hopefully be rectified next season.

Fans are dubious about Carvalhal, primarily because he has had a lot of clubs and some not ending well at all. However, there is a different culture in Europe regarding coaches. The turn over is even higher than it is in this country. Sometimes a manager / coach doesn't suit a particular club or group of players. Carvalhal seems to have occupied quite a few "caretaker" positions and it's not uncommon for a club to seek a new coach after only one season in Europe. He does seem to have earned a decent reputation as a coach and i don't think that clubs like Sporting Lisbon and Besiktas would even entertain a coach if they thought he was totally unfit for the job. Put it this way, do you think that Gray will be sought out by the likes of Sporting and Besiktas this summer ? I highly doubt they will be.

Fans also seem to be concerned about the standard of player that we are bringing in, even though we have only signed two players, Lachman and Sasso. Comments have been made that they have only come from "average" European clubs and haven't played many games. These players have not been signed from "average" European teams. Braga is a top side in Portugal and Twente are a top side Holland, hence quality players and a struggle to get regular playing time. As someone said " Braga would beat Liverpool over a two leg tie in a European competition". Don't expect Chansiri to pay out millions, because that is unnecessary, but he will get in better quality players. I do have to remind people that Buxton, Zayette, Kelhar, Coke, Maghoma, Madine etc, weren't that great in all honesty.

lastly, the new "committee" has raised a few eyebrows and this again is a new approach that fans need to get used to. Responsibility will now be delegated to different people, responsible for different roles. Primarily, the signings will be the responsibility of the committee, though i am sure that there will be intense discussions involving all parties, particularly Carvalhal. Mistakes will be made and as the club progresses and different needs arise, then the shape, outlook and structure of the committee will change. The new regime is now in place. The committee is there, the new head coach is there, signings are being made and we have to, as i am sure you will agree, put any doubts to one side and support the club 110%. So, let's try and curb the sniping cynicism and look forward to an exciting season.

• Haha 1

In recent weeks Mr Chansiri and the new regime have come in for some negative criticism, which was essentially caused by the lack of information coming out of Hillsborough with regards to the appointment of a new manager / head coach. This has now been resolved with the appointment of Carlos Carvalhal, yet i detect that there is still some cynicism hanging in the air and doubts about the new head coach, Mr Chansiri and the new regime as a whole. This is understandable as it's a break from tradition, but i do think that some of the observations or comments have been over exaggerated, to the point where people seem to view the club as almost going backwards in recent weeks and days. I think it's time for rational thought and some proper perspective.

First off, Mr Chansiri bought the club for 37 million pounds. He paid off all the outstanding loans against the Hillsborough stadium and has effectively made us debt free. He has installed a new state of the art high tech desso pitch to the tune of around 1.5 million. He is also installing a new scoreboard which will have also cost a fair amount of money. Mr Chansiri has not invested near on 40 million pounds to stagnate and go backwards. Sure, there will be mistakes and that is bound to happen, but Mr Chansiri is trying to move the club forward with a new regime that is copied from the continent and is slowly being implemented by other British teams. The day's of the traditional coaching / management systems are drawing to an end.

Last season Gray did a decent job. We had a good defence and finished in a comfortable mid table position. However, the style of play was abysmal, only managing five wins all season at Hillsborough. Gray was never going to be the man to take us forward, even with a a bigger budget. His football philosophy was caution first and to do well the opposite approach is required. I think that Gray walked over not having total say over which players came to the club, but i also think that Mr Chansiri did listen to the fans and would have been aware that they were not happy with the approach and overall style of play last season. I think its important to not only be successful, but to also give entertainment at the same time. This will hopefully be rectified next season.

Fans are dubious about Carvalhal, primarily because he has had a lot of clubs and some not ending well at all. However, there is a different culture in Europe regarding coaches. The turn over is even higher than it is in this country. Sometimes a manager / coach doesn't suit a particular club or group of players. Carvalhal seems to have occupied quite a few "caretaker" positions and it's not uncommon for a club to seek a new coach after only one season in Europe. He does seem to have earned a decent reputation as a coach and i don't think that clubs like Sporting Lisbon and Besiktas would even entertain a coach if they thought he was totally unfit for the job. Put it this way, do you think that Gray will be sought out by the likes of Sporting and Besiktas this summer ? I highly doubt they will be.

Fans also seem to be concerned about the standard of player that we are bringing in, even though we have only signed two players, Lachman and Sasso. Comments have been made that they have only come from "average" European clubs and haven't played many games. These players have not been signed from "average" European teams. Braga is a top side in Portugal and Twente are a top side Holland, hence quality players and a struggle to get regular playing time. As someone said " Braga would beat Liverpool over a two leg tie in a European competition". Don't expect Chansiri to pay out millions, because that is unnecessary, but he will get in better quality players. I do have to remind people that Buxton, Zayette, Kelhar, Coke, Maghoma, Madine etc, weren't that great in all honesty.

lastly, the new "committee" has raised a few eyebrows and this again is a new approach that fans need to get used to. Responsibility will now be delegated to different people, responsible for different roles. Primarily, the signings will be the responsibility of the committee, though i am sure that there will be intense discussions involving all parties, particularly Carvalhal. Mistakes will be made and as the club progresses and different needs arise, then the shape, outlook and structure of the committee will change. The new regime is now in place. The committee is there, the new head coach is there, signings are being made and we have to, as i am sure you will agree, put any doubts to one side and support the club 110%. So, let's try and curb the sniping cynicism and look forward to an exciting season.

Great Post. ;-)

Mick.  You stated that Gray did a "decent job." I would say that S. Gray did a great job under the circumstances. He took over from Dave Jones when we were at the bottom of the league and saved our season and then proceeded to finish mid-table the following season. He had very little money to spend as Milan wanted to sell and spend very little. However, I do agree with you that home form was poor and goals were hard to come by. If you asked fans would you be happy to finish mid-table before the season started the majority would have said yes.

I agree that negative comments were made because of the lack of information coming out of Hillsborough and that is understandable. I fully support the new regime and I'm confident of a new great future. UTO!

Sorry, too long and I got fed up of reading it.

Couldn't you have just said "we now have our coach in place so let's just get behind him and give him our support" ?

Things now look to be starting to come together, can't we just go with that for now ?

I stopped reading your reply at  "fed up " lol

I know I will get criticised for this but it is starting to feel less and less like SHEFFIELD Wednesday.

Thai Owners, Portuguese Coach and all Portuguese coaching staff, looks likely nearly all new players coming into us will be from abroad.

I know its unrealistic to have the majority being local players but nearly all people being brought into the club would not have been able to find Sheffield on a map a few months ago.

Yes I know this is the way football has gone over recent times and not just at Wednesday but feels less and less like my club.

Along with hike in ticket prices I am not sure I will be going to as many games as I thought I would.

Guest Darth Sturrock

That's a very good post, but I have to say that having concerns about the way things are going is not "sniping cynicism". (there are a few of these, I know) I will support Wednesday and the new "Head Coach" 100%, BUT I have my concerns that this will not work. I will though, be very happy if the new set-up proves me wrong. I want to be wrong..

Sorry, too long and I got fed up of reading it.

Couldn't you have just said "we now have our coach in place so let's just get behind him and give him our support" ?

Things now look to be starting to come together, can't we just go with that for now ?

What a pity, that after all the sniping and negativity from the agitators, you couldn't read a post that puts a great argument to the doom mongers

I know I will get criticised for this but it is starting to feel less and less like SHEFFIELD Wednesday.

Thai Owners, Portuguese Coach and all Portuguese coaching staff, looks likely nearly all new players coming into us will be from abroad.

I know its unrealistic to have the majority being local players but nearly all people being brought into the club would not have been able to find Sheffield on a map a few months ago.

Yes I know this is the way football has gone over recent times and not just at Wednesday but feels less and less like my club.

Along with hike in ticket prices I am not sure I will be going to as many games as I thought I would.

Was speaking to a Man City fan a while ago and he thought exactly the same. Football in England is fast becoming a game played by Foreigners in teams managed by Foreigners especially in the Premiership. West Ham have appointed Biilic and i'm fairly confident that Leicester will appoint from abroad.

chelsea seem to be scraping along under the old model

man utd seemed to get a few results with that ferguson chap under the old model

Arsenal seem to be able to eek out an existance with that wenger chap......

This is english football and the old style of coaching is still very much with us. I have no doubt that more european styles may come into the english game but so far it doesn't seem to have won anything just yet. Lets see how Brentford get on this season for example?

Was speaking to a Man City fan a while ago and he thought exactly the same. Football in England is fast becoming a game played by Foreigners in teams managed by Foreigners especially in the Premiership. West Ham have appointed Biilic and i'm fairly confident that Leicester will appoint from abroad.

So the Man City fan was complaining about what's happened to them?...