Positive Carlos needs a war chest

As for the Portuguese and Dutch leagues they are not a patch on the championship for competitiveness or overall quality (bar a couple of teams). The foreign boys will find this tough going that's why we need some domestic signings

Why do you think we've ended our spending now then?

He's not being realistic.

The British market is overrated big time....look at how much Liverpool want for Sterling? Look at how much Fulham paid for McCormack and he returned more or less the same amount at Nuhiu.

Exactly, if we had this takeover say about 5 years ago we'd have been able to get a LOT better value for money. Go even further back 7-8 years and it'd have been even better. Nowadays League One and Two teams can sell players for multi millions. Assombalonga was £6M lol, how many leagues in Europe have 3rd division players that are worth £6M. It's madness, utter madness. 

As for the Portuguese and Dutch leagues they are not a patch on the championship for competitiveness or overall quality (bar a couple of teams). The foreign boys will find this tough going that's why we need some domestic signings

A question for you then, Where do you think Braga would finish in the championship this season?

At the risk of sounding a reyt miserable cnut, let's wait and see what he's capable of before wasting any war chest...

Ok, perhaps a War Chest is a bit much.

But at least lets open the sock draw and get the sneaky cash out that we hide from the wife.

It's pre-season Captain, you miserly old goat!

A time for optimism. For cloudy chimera of a fine summer May day in the Steel City with Captain Glenn lifting aloft the Championship trophy (on an immaculate desso pitch)  in front of a packed Hillsborough. 

Dare to doze tonight , to sleep ,per chance to dream, Aye, there's the rub Captain.  

UTO

I can't think of many players in this country we'd be paying millions for with a career record of 51 games in 5 seasons.

That's what your saying

The point is at championship level they would and will get more games as we, I'm sorry to say, are not as good as either Brage or Twente 

Exactly, if we had this takeover say about 5 years ago we'd have been able to get a LOT better value for money. Go even further back 7-8 years and it'd have been even better. Nowadays League One and Two teams can sell players for multi millions. Assombalonga was £6M lol, how many leagues in Europe have 3rd division players that are worth £6M. It's madness, utter madness. 

Yea absolute crackers mate, I for one don't mind going down this route (European), last thing I want to see is Wednesday getting into massive debts that has taken us the best part of 15 years to recover from.

The top end fair enough (PSV, Ajax, Porto and Benfica) but delve further down they are some very very small clubs in that league that play in front of a few thousand fans. The championship is probably in the top 6 leagues in Europe for overall quality

I really think you're over rating the Championship in terms of quality. It's just in Europe most leagues are diverse in quality, where you say the top teams are prem standard, but the bottom teams are league one standard all within the same league. 

Not in the top 6 and that's their first team, please be mindful were signing one if there reserve team players as well

Nah... think you're really wrong on the quality of the Championship. Can't believe you think a team like Braga are no better than us. 

Not in the top 6 and that's their first team, please be mindful were signing one if there reserve team players as well

Plenty on here would spaff their kecks if we signed a Leicester reserve striker who scored 1 league goal for them last season.

(edit, for 2 million quid)

Edited by WC1Owl

Just wow! That's convinced me that your knowledge of football on the continent is sparse.

what a silly statement! There is more skill in these leagues by far than in our championship! We were for the most part average last year and still did pretty well! These new players will add ball control, retention, poise and flair! Especially under a foreign coach!

For example Benfica and Porto let about 10 goals in all season. Portuguese football is very poor beyond those two and then you have Sporting who could join the party. Braga would be about the next best.

The rest of them in my opinion would be slaughtered in the championship

Mate, come on you don''t know anything about them. The style of play, the players etc. The standard is what you've set because of your disappointment. I really can't see how you could ever judge teams like that against the Championship. 

The Championship has some right tripe ffs, teams like Hudders, Rotherham, Bolton, Fulham, Brighton, Charlton, Reading etc... are in the top 6 leagues in Europe!?!?

Remember we are signing their reserve team players not their first choice players. Important we remember that small fact

Which proves we are not better or at the same standard as them, but still does not discount them from being good championship level players.