Random things you remember from hillsborough's past

Guest Gazzaswfc

Taking on Man Ure at home in 1985. They were unbeaten in 15 games, winning 13 of them. 48,105 fans were packed in to Hillsborough that day. All I remember is Lee Chapman rising and meeting the corner in front of the Kop, and thumping a header past Bailey. We won 1-0. We did the double over them that season, beating them 2-0 at Old Trafford and finished 3 points behind them in the league. I have had to look a lot of this up as I was young at the time.

Was in Hanrahans that night. Went to the gents. Who should come and stand in the next cubicle but Lee Chapman. Best pee I ever had.

To the Swindon fan, lovely comments. I think the Terry Curran game you refer to was Swindon 1 SWFC 2. It was on Match of the Day in 1980 and can be viewed as a long highlights video with John Motson commentating on YouTube. It's fantastic....

The band that played before the players came out.

Players coming out at five to three and not for a kick about.

Going with various members of my family and hearing their stories of old matches - sadly they are no longer here.

Buying the Green Un from the kiosk at Pond Street.

Seeing people on the kop swaying.

Like so many have said, going to a night match - great atmosphere.

Bob Bolder divot

Seeing the Geordies the first time as they filled the away end at Easter 82...Wednesday won 2-1 and thought we were going up then got stuffed 4-0 next week by h/t at Watford

Wednesdayism is not hooliganism in the programme and the boring non-Wednesday section in the middle

Bob Bolder divot

Seeing the Geordies the first time as they filled the away end at Easter 82...Wednesday won 2-1 and thought we were going up then got stuffed 4-0 next week by h/t at Watford

Wednesdayism is not hooliganism in the programme and the boring non-Wednesday section in the middle

Remember those very well, although the Watford game was 2 weeks later. We played Cambridge at home the week after beating Newcastle.

We took loads to Watford too and expectations were high. Big disappointment - except for the ones who got in for nowt when one of their big wooden gates 'fell over'.  :biggrin:

Guest mkowl

Did she stay at the pigs hotel overnight ?

No she ruddy didn't. I was coming back from Uni in Hull and had to wait in a tunnel outside the station for an hour until the ***** left

Guest mkowl

Kanchelskis got a standing ovation from the home fans after that Everton game

My most random is standing behind the 4 Blackpool fans in the Kop triangle for a League cup tie

Standing on the Kop when they were doing the early works for Kop roof. Big hole for the pillars with a bit of fencing to protect you

A S Roma trying to start the second half with 13 players on the pitch.....they wouldn't stand still as ref tried to count 'em.

And my Grandad saying "bloody contentinals!"

Perhaps it's my memory playing tricks (it does that sometimes at my age) but I seem to remember a similar thing happening in

one of the friendly games against Santos.

Shortly after half time the referee stopped the game, appeared to count the players and then asked the Santos bench to

remove one of their 12 players from the pitch.

Anyone else remember this or am I finally losing it altogether?

Guest trusty_left_peg

Kanchelskis got a standing ovation from the home fans after that Everton game

Easily the best performance by an opposing player I've seen at Hillsborough. Absolutely destroyed us that day.