Random things you remember from hillsborough's past

Guest Gazzaswfc

Guest Gazzaswfc

Was talkin to some older Wednesdayites about things you used to see back in the day like the old alphabetical numbers on the front of the north&south stand with the latest scores . Also remember fans throwing toilet rolls from back of the kop on to pitch what do you remember ?

Guest Gazzaswfc

Never forget the sight of seeing mike Lyons running on to pitch at 100 miles an hour before every game with his Chest out thinking "let's have em "

Used to enter by Leppings lane, between Bridge and Browns sweet shop A man with sandwich boards 'Repent and turn to God'

Fat man with white coat walking round pitch shouting 'Star latest'

Wondering what was at the other side of the ground where North now stands.

Cinders and shale on the Leppings lane concourse.

Nora (personality disorder) getting banged up in Middlewood for duration of the World Cup.

The smell of Pies, Oxo and smoke all mixed up.

The red numbers on our shirts and Gold stripe on our shorts.

Dad and Grandad shushing me when footy results were being read.

The queue for the Green-Un.

The roar of the crowd that you could hear in Walkley.

The trek back home, Walkley Lane and Stoney Walk. 

Walking down Herries Rd for an evening ko, craning your neck for the first sighting of the golden view that was floodlit Hillsborough

Standing on the kop, huddled together in the peeing rain with less than 10 000 in the ground

Trying to get into the south stand for free, asking random shareholder fans if they would take you in with them

Legging it down to the local newsagents for the green un, stood outside, waiting, then scuffling with the crowd to get a copy

Happy days

Edited by happy bunny

The hundreds of bell bottoms and mullets ont kop int 70's/80's watching big jack with his flat cap! My first impression of Hillsborough! It was magical!

Edited by Buzz

Coming down through grenoside for a night match seeing Hillsborough lit up in the darkness! Still makes me go all funny now 40 years on!

Coming down through grenoside for a night match seeing Hillsborough lit up in the darkness! Still makes me go all funny now 40 years on!

My dad carrying me through the turnstiles and telling me to look young so I could get in for either nowt or cheap. The fences that he hated and vowed never to stand behind as he said they weren't the proper way to treat humans. Mainly when I think of olden times at S6 I think of my dad.

If Wednesday had had a stinker sometimes loads of fans in the seating areas threw the blue seat cushions you put on the wooden seats to make them more comfy onto the pitch after a game to make a protest of their feelings.  :biggrin: