My mate - Mr OwlsTalk

Guest sotonowl

Finished 2nd in my fishing match last week btw.

Picked up £40

Yeah, saw the reult in the paper.

Only 2 people enter the match.

1st Place a Mr D.Chansiri with 36,000 tonnes of tuna

2nd Place a Mr Owlsman with 4.5 ounces (1 small roach a gudgeon and a stickleback)

You guys.

lol

I love Owls Talk.

Nice to hear Shandy has a friend btw.

Inbetweeners - "Friend? You've got a friend?"

lol

He's not really a friend. He's just someone I latch onto. I don't think he likes me.

lol

Edited by shandypants

I don't get to many games but get to see most of them

I agree it's infuriating being told what a game/player/performance etc was like by somebody who didn't go - i don't comment on incidents/performances i haven't seen

I've paid my dues - i've been supporting Wednesday (and going regularly) for a period thats longer than some on here have been alive - if people don't wanna see me as a supporter then that's their choice - i'll not lose sleep over it

But in general we all spout off about stuff we don't really have great knowledge of - like prospective signings and opinions on players etc

All part of footballs rich tapestry

It's not the non-attenders i dismiss - there is no accounting for people having opinions

There is also no accounting for the fact that football makes fools out of all of us at times

I agree it's infuriating being told what a game/player/performance etc was like by somebody who didn't go - i don't comment on incidents/performances i haven't seen

I've paid my dues - i've been supporting Wednesday (and going regularly) for a period thats longer than some on here have been alive - if people don't wanna see me as a supporter then that's their choice - i'll not lose sleep over it

But in general we all spout off about stuff we don't really have great knowledge of - like prospective signings and opinions on players etc

It's not the non-attenders i dismiss - there is no accounting for people having opinions

There is also no accounting for the fact that football makes fools out of all of us at times

Exactly

We have many thousands of 'stay away' supporters who still have an opinion.

They will always consider themselves Wednesday fans and many of them will come back when we're back in the big time.

I know loads of lads who went to almost every game in the 90's but don't bother any more

They still know their stuff when it comes the Wednesday though.

looking at your post reminds me...

of thinking (not sure the game) when looking from the n/w over the sarf n' kop, t' norf...

there are some in here, who are here every, or most games, but what % are 5, 10, 15 game a season merchants...

the wycombe, and hartlepool (play off) games showed you the potential, but...

reality is often around 15k hardcore, and the rest calling in on a merrygoround every few games...

it'll be a bast@rd to park when they all turn up, i'm hoping it'll be a bast@rd to park over the next 2 seasons...

anybody who comments on an individuals performance when they haven't been is a tailface...

drives me crackers when returning listening to praise or grumble...

for some wee pipe to say "i thought so and so was awful" when asked IF they've been, they reply "no, i couldn't get today"...

to which i more often than not shout at the radio "WELL FACK OFF THEN"... :ghoulguy:

Clubs try and push their product all around the world and encourage supporters everywhere to support them.

Is there anyone on here who wouldn't want a couple of million Thai supporters who bought our products but couldn't get to games for obvious reasons. Would they not be allowed opinions because they don't go to matches, oh they can spend their hard earned but don't have an opinion.Or if they are allowed opinions, where do you draw the line between them and the bloke in the local village who doesn't go but wears the shirt.

Stop being silly, just because you may go every week doesn't give you some devine right which you evidently think it does.

Oh and by the way jack,does your village have a local shop and is it for local people only.

No, I'd want them to support their local Thai side. Sick and tired of football being sold as a product. I want Wednesday to be for Sheffielders, Man U to be for Mancs, Arsenal/Chelsea to be for Londoners, Liverpool to be for Scousers, etc. supporting a team is about taking pride in your local side, and giving them your support through thick and thin. You should never choose your team based on who's won the most titles, plays the best football, has the best history, etc. support should be kept local

Guest sotonowl

No, I'd want them to support their local Thai side. Sick and tired of football being sold as a product. I want Wednesday to be for Sheffielders, Man U to be for Mancs, Arsenal/Chelsea to be for Londoners, Liverpool to be for Scousers, etc. supporting a team is about taking pride in your local side, and giving them your support through thick and thin. You should never choose your team based on who's won the most titles, plays the best football, has the best history, etc. support should be kept local

Yep, used to be like that but it aint no more, things have changed

So if a sheffielder gets a job in London he has to start supporting Arsenal? Or is it just when he has kids in London they have to support arsenal? People should be allowed to support whoever they like and the more fans a club has the better

I was talking to my mate on Saturday. He loves to talk about Wednesday but he doesn't go to the match (I think that the last match he went to was the Norwich last game of the season when we had to win to stay up - was that about 6 years ago?). He has a good well-paid job but chooses to spent his weekend and his money fishing - he enters matches up and down the North and Midlands regularly and fishes for fun when not entering matches. That's fine, who am I to criticise him? I won't criticise him for how he chooses to spend his weekend but he doesn't half frustrate me at times when he talks about Wednesday because he's an "authority" on The Owls but he gets it all from here. I think he is a contributor to this site also because some of the things we discuss end up on here.

Am I wrong to be frustrated with this situation? Is it ok for my mate to have such a strong opinion when he doesn't contribute a bean to the club?

I know I'll get hammered for starting this thread but hey-ho.

You should write to Lonely Hearts and ask them.

Guest sotonowl

I know and it proper winds me up, which is why I wouldn't want "a few thousand Thai supporters"

Well you ought to have a re think, everyone else does it and thats exactly what we need, to turn this club into a global brand or get left behind, it's as simple as that.

We're miles behind the others as it is and we got a lot of distance to make up and by doing what you suggest it just won't happen.