My mate - Mr OwlsTalk

Guest Distraught!

If you don't see the games I can't see how you can comment on performances etc.

I didn't see anything that went on during the Great War, Holocaust etc.

Most of the knowledge of these events that I possess come from listening to people that were there at the time and then I form conclusions.

Can I express my opinions about historical events even though I wasn't there?

I was talking to my mate on Saturday. He loves to talk about Wednesday but he doesn't go to the match (I think that the last match he went to was the Norwich last game of the season when we had to win to stay up - was that about 6 years ago?). He has a good well-paid job but chooses to spent his weekend and his money fishing - he enters matches up and down the North and Midlands regularly and fishes for fun when not entering matches. That's fine, who am I to criticise him? I won't criticise him for how he chooses to spend his weekend but he doesn't half frustrate me at times when he talks about Wednesday because he's an "authority" on The Owls but he gets it all from here. I think he is a contributor to this site also because some of the things we discuss end up on here.

Am I wrong to be frustrated with this situation? Is it ok for my mate to have such a strong opinion when he doesn't contribute a bean to the club?

I know I'll get hammered for starting this thread but hey-ho.

My next door neighbour last went to watch Wednesday play, ten years ago this weekend, he has every team shirt, always buys the new one. He walks up and down the village in his Wednesday shirt, when we're away from home, but always wears an old England shirt when we're at home (I suspect, so people won't ask him why he's not at Hillsborough). When he talks about "we", I just ask him what he thought was the best full back performance by one of players last season, and he dun't have a clue, and walks away. I never miss, but won't be buying the new shirt, he never goes, but will buy the shirt. People like him infuriate me, but at the end of the day it's his choice, and if he chooses to pretend he's a supporter, so what?

I tend to agree with the OP. Whilst we are all entitled to our opinion, and to state it, many speak from a position of ignorance if they haven't experienced the product on offer for some time.

However, regular match attenders see the same match but can't agree on what they saw. So at least some of the "well informed experts" must be coming out with drivel. To me, this suggests that the opinion of the non-match goers could be as insightful as some regulars.

And, if only people who have seen something or someone could comment, very few of us would be able to comment on whether Big Sam or Roger Johnson or Ben Pringles etc etc could do a job for us. There would be few, mostly much shorter, threads on OT.

The problem with OT is not comments from non-match goers, nor those that have a different opinion, it is the posts from the self proclaimed ITKers and WUMs who drown genuine stories in their sea of made up speculation and exaggeration.

It doesn't frustrate me at all, although I won't really take their opinion with any gravitas. I have quite a few mates who don't go, say that last season was a success and the Gray deserves a crack this season based on what he did last season

That's exactly why he doesn't deserve a crack at it

Start a new forum called owlswhoonlybuyticketsandgotoeverymatchopinionsaremuchmorevalidtalk.co.uk

You will then be able to discuss matters Wednesday safe in the knowledge that your fellow posters are real fans and that their knowledge, understanding and feeling for the club are on a par with yours.

Alternatively keep posting on here and retain a smug sense of superiority over the non attending underlings, lapsed supporters, Johnny come latelys and ner do wells that inhabit this site.

Start a new forum called owlswhoonlybuyticketsandgotoeverymatchopinionsaremuchmorevalidtalk.co.uk

You will then be able to discuss matters Wednesday safe in the knowledge that your fellow posters are real fans and that their knowledge, understanding and feeling for the club are on a par with yours.

Alternatively keep posting on here and retain a smug sense of superiority over the non attending underlings, lapsed supporters, Johnny come latelys and ner do wells that inhabit this site.

lol

Guest thetruthisoutthere

I didn't see anything that went on during the Great War, Holocaust etc.

Most of the knowledge of these events that I possess come from listening to people that were there at the time and then I form conclusions.

Can I express my opinions about historical events even though I wasn't there?

I know why not read 200 reviews on a steak at your local resteraunt then write your own review based on other peoples palet, opinion and many times on their drunken evening.

It's much better to experience the product for yourself that way at least your option is valid, it's like listening to the radio then commenting on what you've "seen" utter drivel m8

I was talking to my mate on Saturday. He loves to talk about Wednesday but he doesn't go to the match (I think that the last match he went to was the Norwich last game of the season when we had to win to stay up - was that about 6 years ago?). He has a good well-paid job but chooses to spent his weekend and his money fishing - he enters matches up and down the North and Midlands regularly and fishes for fun when not entering matches. That's fine, who am I to criticise him? I won't criticise him for how he chooses to spend his weekend but he doesn't half frustrate me at times when he talks about Wednesday because he's an "authority" on The Owls but he gets it all from here. I think he is a contributor to this site also because some of the things we discuss end up on here.

Am I wrong to be frustrated with this situation? Is it ok for my mate to have such a strong opinion when he doesn't contribute a bean to the club?

I know I'll get hammered for starting this thread but hey-ho.

For me it depends what his opinion is on. If its on matches and player performances I fully understand your frustration (assuming he's not going to matches or listening to Wednesday).

If it's about the club n the rumour mill which surrounds it which get debated on OT then fair enough. But I would have thought that he'd be aware of the tripe that's on here.

Guest Deleted member

I've said for years I'd rather have 200,000 part timers who get to Hillsborough on average 4 times a season, than 20,000 died in the wool, season ticket buying home and away diehards.

I bet the club would too.

Anyone who calls themselves a Wednesdayite is welcome and their opinions are valid, with one exception. It really winds me up when people who never go post their opinions on individual players, slate them, based on what they've heard on here. Mostly because what they've heard is based on opinions offered by others who've not seen them play either.

My dad started going to Hillsborough in the 40's

Hasn't been now since about 2006

He knows more about Wednesday than most on this forum and talks to me about it every week without fail

Many people who don't attend now may have lived and breathed Wednesday longer than many people on OT have been alive

If you're a Wednesday fan then you're entitled to an opinion

We can all feel the pain of being an Owl together.

Nigel, that's exactly what winds me up about Mick from Mansfield, when he calls Football Heaven. He has strong opinions on players and performances, but he's actually only basing his opinions on those of whoever happens to be commentating on the game for Radio Sheffield. whatever opinion you have, based on your own experience, has to be a valid opinion, but basing it on the opinions of others, totally invalidates things.

Edited by Wolfmanjack

My next door neighbour last went to watch Wednesday play, ten years ago this weekend, he has every team shirt, always buys the new one. He walks up and down the village in his Wednesday shirt, when we're away from home, but always wears an old England shirt when we're at home (I suspect, so people won't ask him why he's not at Hillsborough). When he talks about "we", I just ask him what he thought was the best full back performance by one of players last season, and he dun't have a clue, and walks away. I never miss, but won't be buying the new shirt, he never goes, but will buy the shirt. People like him infuriate me, but at the end of the day it's his choice, and if he chooses to pretend he's a supporter, so what?

Horses for courses and all that

can't understand why season ticket holders get infuriated by non season ticket holders having an opinion on SWFC a little sad really. all though as stated regarding players performances maybe should state "well i heard so on played well/crap"

If someone is purchasing merchandise each season of course they are a supporter, there will be a reason for each person choosing whether to go or not. me personally was one of many who went to all in the early nineties when it was worth going, but now go to just a few but i buy the shirt, i was close to getting a season ticket this year and will go to most as things are getting exciting again. I do have greatest of respect for the faithful that do go week in week out. But when it is worth coming back and you see bigger crowds don't grumble about "where were these when we were poo, be classy and appreciate things are looking up wawaw..

Guest Distraught!

I know why not read 200 reviews on a steak at your local resteraunt then write your own review based on other peoples palet, opinion and many times on their drunken evening.

It's much better to experience the product for yourself that way at least your option is valid, it's like listening to the radio then commenting on what you've "seen" utter drivel m8

But not all opinions are directly related to individual performances or players. I for one, do not post in threads that relate to performance e.g. matchday ratings threads. I extremely rarely even post in threads to do with signings or potential signings. But there are plenty of peripheral issues that I do feel that I have a right to an opinion on. Most people on this forum for instance, still make opinions about issues in football absolutely not related to Wednesday. They express opinions about England players or players at other clubs. Does that make their opinion any less worthy?

Guest Deleted member

Nigel, that's exactly what winds me up about Mick from Mansfield, when he calls Football Heaven. He has strong opinions on players and performances, but he's actually only basing his opinions on those of whoever happens to be commentating on the game for Radio Sheffield. whatever opinion you have, based on your own experience, has to be a valid opinion, but basing it on the opinions of others, totally invalidates things.

Exactly

It's absolutely fine to stop going, for whatever reason, and it's absolutely fine to have opinions on the general matters at the club, the ownership, ticket pricing, commercial aspects, the shirt, stadium improvements etc etc...

But to come on here and say 'Nuhiu is sh*te' based on the opinions of Ian is ridiculous (Ian is entitled to say that because he sees him every week. Just as I'm entitled to disagree because I see him every week too)