My great-great uncle

Guest s11 owl

Sounds like your uncle was in a poor tribute band.

Simon and half uncle

well, no man's an island.......

Guest Burntwood Owl

Who was it Captain? Got a lot of old books and programmes and stuff I will have a look too if you want?

Guest Burntwood Owl

Right, Capitan.

Your relative started at Atherton, stayed there less than one season, before signing for Bolton (turning down Chorley). In May 1931 he moved to Chorley after one season with Wanderers. At this point he was 5ft11 and 11 stone, playing centre half. In August 1932 he signed for us, from Chorley (now 12 stones in weight) and was "well set up" as a centre half. In February of 1936 he was described as the "pivot" of Wednesday's reserve team but was sold to Swansea City in part exchange for Welsh international centre half back Harry Hanford, who had that month played for Wales against England, winning the game 2-1. In January 1937 he played for Swansea against Porth in the Welsh League, personally scoring a remarkable 7 goals in a 10 nil win and even missed a penalty. After this he seemingly disappears from football records (that I har anyway).

I find no record of him breaking into the first team for us but he was a very well thought of young talent, enough to command a place in a part exchange for an international no less. You should be very proud. I didn't name him here, I wasn't sure if you wanted me to or not. But this is his career.

Guest Burntwood Owl

I would hazard a guess that wartime interrupted his career and he never made it back to football following the war?

Edited by Burntwood Owl

Guest Burntwood Owl

There is one programme that I have that mentions him, a Swansea Vs Wednesday one. Just a brief mention mind, but still there and worth you getting as a memento. A page titled "Thank You" mentions him, very briefly.

post-39365-0-74070700-1432251917_thumb.j

Wow, thanks Burntwood, not sure how you found all that out so quick but thanks again..

From Swansea he joined the RAF and went out to the middle east, on his return (after the war) he played for Runcorn and ICI. My wife reckons he once played for Runcorn when he was in his 60's despite the family telling him not to - it nearly killed him by all accounts...

He was a smashing bloke and a great character, thanks again for your help.

Also, apologies to Kivo if we nicked your thread.

Guest Burntwood Owl

Ah, RAF, that explains it. No problem mate. I have loads of files of info and programmes and books and allsorts so it's fairly easy to fin when you have the right decade to look for.