My great-great uncle

I started doing my family tree years ago and always knew that my great-grandads brother, Jack, had signed for Wednesday in 1920.

He never made a first team appearance, but appeared semi-regularly for the reserves and third team before moving on after a couple of seasons.

Frustratingly, he was the only member of the family on my dad's side who I hadn't got a photo for back to 1900, and I'd looked for ages in old newspapers to no avail, and gave it up as an impossible job.

Today I was in Sheffield Library looking up Wednesday Cricket Club scores when I stumbled upon this little beauty. Could not believe my luck. The reason I'd missed it was because it was published in July time, so I'd skipped the summer months as football was usually put of sight from the reporters pen for three months.

Absolutely made my day this, can't believe I landed on it without looking after spending years trying to find it!

CFiinLsWgAAVF47.jpg

Guest Burntwood Owl

They took their time putting that publication together didn't they? No wonder you didn't find it before, considering he signed on the 14th of January!

post-39365-0-17385400-1432227676_thumb.j

Guest Burntwood Owl

Haha so the papers spelled his name wrong and the club waited months before announcing the signing. Can see why it was so hard to find!

Guest Burntwood Owl

Want me to look through my archives for anything else Kivo? Happy to have a look see if I can find anything else for him or have you got it all?

If he didn't make a first team appearance your Uncle can't have been that Great

I've an half uncle who signed for Liverpool straight from school in 1970s without ever making an appearance. 

He can't have been that great either. :rolleyes:

I've an half uncle who signed for Liverpool straight from school in 1970s without ever making an appearance. 

Who did the other half sign for?

Edited by Jowl

Guest Fedor

Sounds like your uncle was in a poor tribute band.

Simon and half uncle

Guest samkirkman

Great stuff Kivo and I know how you feel.

I love to find old pictures and reports about my grandfather Sam.