Where does the small budget "fear " come from?

I've seen numerous posts over the last few week's that suggest or express concern that Mr C has slashed the playing budget or that said budget won't be ambitious.  Why is there such concern?  About two days after buying us, Mr C announced he'd be spending in excess of £1M upgrading the pitch and then he announced that we are to get a new scoreboard (which won't come cheap).  What has happened over the last few weeks? The pitch is being upgraded and the old scoreboard is being removed so that a new one can be installed.  We have also heard about other ground improvements that are being planned and sanctioned. 

The above actions don't appear to be those of someone that intends not (double negative - I know) to provide a more than competitive playing budget. 

I know we've had years of empty promises and, recently, a few years of "spin" but I think we needn't worry now because our new chairman very much looks like he delivers on his promises. 

Edited by shandypants

Actions speak louder than words- I think until we see evidence of an increased playing budget we're all going to be cautious that it's really the case.

The pitch and scoreboard won't come cheap, but weren't season ticket prices increased? I'd be interested to know what ST revenue has come to- perhaps the difference between last season and this seasons' prices have financed the renovations? 

I don't think this is the case for the record Shandy, just playing a mixture of devil's advocate and perhaps allowing my cynical side to take over. I still believe we'll see an improved caliber of player in, but until they walk through the doors, I can understand the skepticism from some 

It comes from years of hurt and being let down.

Some fans refuse to believe we will sign genuine quality players to the point of lamenting other posters for suggesting certain players.

We don't know the budget but we know what Mr C said and that was premier league within 2 years.

The names some posters have suggested are players capable of that.

Could we afford Rhodes? I say yes but I don't think we will sign him but our signings should reflect the ambitious statement of our chairman.

I think it all comes from rumors. I agree the evidence shows it could be a competitive budget this year but there are rumblings that it may not be the case. For the more pessimistic fans the idea that we have offered smaller/ reduced contracts to existing players, along with the fear of FFP doesn't bode well when we are already spending over £1m in stadium and pitch improvements, not to mention the wages that must be in place to entice the 'committee' here. I can see why some fear we are going to do the bare minimum on the playing side until next year. Also the fact that the owner has never owned a football team before and may not realise how much money goes into it.  But then a guy doesn't spend what he has on buying the club and improving the facilities to languish in mid table in the 2nd tier.

Actions speak louder than words- I think until we see evidence of an increased playing budget we're all going to be cautious that it's really the case.

The pitch and scoreboard won't come cheap, but weren't season ticket prices increased? I'd be interested to know what ST revenue has come to- perhaps the difference between last season and this seasons' prices have financed the renovations? 

I don't think this is the case for the record Shandy, just playing a mixture of devil's advocate and perhaps allowing my cynical side to take over. I still believe we'll see an improved caliber of player in, but until they walk through the doors, I can understand the skepticism from some 

this, until we sign our first couple of players its all wishful/worried thinking at the moment

I'm the greatest sceptic SO but only when I see something to be sceptical about.  I think we need to stay chilled (god I hate that word) and not convince ourselves that something is wrong.   

I'm the greatest sceptic SO but only when I see something to be sceptical about.  I think we need to stay chilled (god I hate that word) and not convince ourselves that something is wrong.   

Agree really, it's only the 20th of May

If by the 20th June nothing's really happened on the transfer front, or we've signed a couple of average players then it may be the time to start voicing concerns. Until then it's unnecessary worry. But again, can't reiterate enough- I can understand why some people are a little uneasy... I just think we need to give it more time!

To bring in the committee he has doesn't signal a small budget to me.

We have nearly more committee men added with Gray and his staff as we do first team squad players at the moment.

I predict big things, don't let me down DC.

Please don't let me down DC.

Anyone who believes a guy would pay thirty odd million quid for a football club, spend a large amount on a state of the art pitch, state he will spend whatever it takes, then penny pinches by cutting wages, needs their head looking at

This

Doesn't help when numerous people continuously spout bullsh*t..

"A mate of a mate told me that Gray hates everything and everyone/loves everything and everyone/has been told that he will have a massive budget/has been told that he will have a small budget and will have to make cutbacks"

If people didn't feel the need to lie to gain attention it would be alright

Think people are just used to broken promises and getting their hopes up, only for it all to go pear shaped. 

Why oh why Mr Chansiri would fork out 30 odd million of his own money to then downsize the club in terms of its competitiveness is beyond me. 

Doesn't help when numerous people continuously spout bullsh*t..

"A mate of a mate told me that Gray hates everything and everyone/loves everything and everyone/has been told that he will have a massive budget/has been told that he will have a small budget and will have to make cutbacks"

If people didn't feel the need to lie to gain attention it would be alright

This as well. ⬆ï¸

Guest Strap

It's going to be a simular budget that we had under Milan. People who think we've suddenly got money to spend are delutional.