So what's happening with the development squad?

With only half a dozen retained, and one (Beatson) promoted from the Academy, we will have to rebuild the squad for next season. Now, with our new "big club management structure" in place, will we look to seriously upgrade the development squad. Are we, for example, in a position to buy up the best young talent in the lower leagues and bring them through the development squad. Results definitely improved last season but there weren't too many shining lights ready to step up to the first team.

Guest wilyfox

Sounds like this Paul Senior bloke is coming in to improve youth recruitment. Wise move, as most of our ducklings get released after a season or two.

Sounds like this Paul Senior bloke is coming in to improve youth recruitment. Wise move, as most of our ducklings get released after a season or two.

Don't know much about him, but Charlton certainly have a good record of bringing youngsters through

Guest wilyfox

Don't know much about him, but Charlton certainly have a good record of bringing youngsters through

I'd never heard of him, but changes need to be made.

We're not in a position to buy the best young talents in the lower leagues

The biggest clubs do that

What do you think it would take to be a bit more competitive? It can't be just about money at a young age as there are limits on salaries aren't there? Also, It's about the transition from youth to senior from what I can gather.

Can we only sign youngsters at category 3 academy's and below or is it category 2?

Can sign any player from any club so long as they are prepared to sign for us and their club is prepared to sign/release them

What do you think it would take to be a bit more competitive? It can't be just about money at a young age as there are limits on salaries aren't there? Also, It's about the transition from youth to senior from what I can gather.

Clubs can pay what they want really - lots of ways of circumventing the rules around inducements and payments etc

It shouldnt be all about money but sadly often is

Transition from youth football to senior football is a good point - but a club like Chelsea will have more youth players out on loan than we will have in our club - so they (usually wrongly) see this as a good development step - which it can be - but not as a route to Chelsea's 1st team

Look at somebody like Nick Powell - he's probably made his money but his career hasn't progressed to anything like what he probably believed it would

I'm not a fan of the u21 squads tbh - i think it should be the gold standard to get decent young players on loan - even at upper non league levels if necessary

If i was in charge of youth development the 2 quick changes i would make would be to scrap the hopeless EP3 and make scholarships 3 years instead of 2 - have u16, u17 and u19 teams

who´s been retained ? .......

Not sure, but I think DeHaviland, Croasdale, Meadows, Betra and Stobbs, with Beatson promoted from the academy. Not sure of Wildsmith's status, guess he qualifies as well