35 Years Ago today Big Jack Gave Us Our Wednesday Back.

What was the official attendance that day?

I'm sure it was 35000 ish but seemed more like 45000!

0 - 0 and a game with few chances from what I remember, main one at the LLE when Andy Mac shot over the bar from about 8 yards, still a fantastic day of celebration ending ten years of seemingly endless decline at the end of one of the most memorable seasons ever.

My first as well Barnsley  first game away lovely sunny day .Was  there we won felt then we are going to do it .

remember comin' home from scarbro' a day early to get there...

me n' my mate drank in our local that was 50/50 wednesday n' dings...

so at 0-3 with only minutes left he said " i wish he'd blow the final whistle"...

i replied "don't worry, these c**ts won't score 3 if we play till midnight"...

over the years the dings gave us some problems, often from ronnie goblin, never understood why when big jack supped in the same pub as him (red lion at worsborough) why he never tapped him up, decent laker, should have had a wednesday shirt on...

Edited by dnhc

Came up from London for the game. Trudged naively through the train at St Pancras in my Bukta blue and white stripes and stumbled into a scarf strewn carriage of Palace fans on their way to play Forest. Place fell silent.

Ugly scary bloke stands up and gives the stare. "Ere - wot shirt is that you're wearing."

"Er.....(in feeble voice) Sheffield Wednesday"

"Well. If you'd have said "Brighton" you'd be dead, but since you said Wednesday, come and have a drink"

I arrived at Hillsborough with my nerves shattered my liver in overdrive and my bladder bursting. Never prayed so much in my life. One of their gang came back from the loo with his hand bleeding - "wot 'append?" "Light didn't work so I hit it!" I was scared to say the wrong thing (Palace were going to be the team of the 80s) so I wished em well - "nah mate - we'll get stuffed today" They got beat 4:0 and I think they went down the following year.

With no brain I can't remember much of the game. Remember passing youngsters over the turnstile which might explain disparity of crowd. Of the game all I can remember is Mick Pickering heading everything without a hair of his Des Lynam haircut going out of place.

I was happy that night but sick as a dog. Slept with my bin by the bed and filled it to the brim. It was, you might say, emotional.

PS Jack C was great for us.

They claim 32,734 ! Ist and only time i went on the pitch !

Me too! Had moved to Jersey in January that year, it was an expensive few months!

Edited by Utah Owl