Retained list will be my decision insists Stuart Gray

Just don't retain Maghoma.

Please.

I don't know why, but I've a horrible feeling he might stay.

I would be amazed if he retained Maghoma.

Only back in the squad because of injuries.

I thought Gray was pretty ruthless with the retained list last year and expect him to be even more so this time around

Why is it a maybe?

Surely he does deserve the chance.

He's hit every target he has been given so far.

He seems to have created a great team spirit and togetherness, how many players this season have sung his praises this season? 

In an age where footballers are overpaid and have all the power, don't underestimate the benefit of having that togetherness and working for each other as a squad.

Because largely we have been poo this season, its widely acknowledged had it not been for Westwood we would be in serious trouble.

Because largely we have been poo this season, its widely acknowledged had it not been for Westwood we would be in serious trouble.

No doubt that Westwood has had an amazing season but he is not the only reason we have equalled our club record for clean sheets in a season.

I'm not saying he is good enough to march us to the PL but he's a a good squad player for his position.

He's a poor footballer at this level

Up there with Dielna

Absolutely bobbah

Edited by BRUCE LEE

Why is it a maybe?

Surely he does deserve the chance.

He's hit every target he has been given so far.

He seems to have created a great team spirit and togetherness, how many players this season have sung his praises this season?

In an age where footballers are overpaid and have all the power, don't underestimate the benefit of having that togetherness and working for each other as a squad.

I'm not as convinced about him as you obviously are. I've managed for a variety of reasons to get to 7 home games this season. I haven't seen us win live once this season.

Every single game has followed a similar pattern. We struggle to break a team down. If we do, we struggle to score a second. We realise we're not going to get it. Gray makes his changes to see the game out and then we invariably fall to a sucker punch. He makes the same mistakes over and over again.

Now I've bought an ST for next season and am I looking forward to it? Not really because if Gray stays in charge whoever he has at his disposal it'll be more of the same because IMO he's stuck in his ways.

I've said it before 75 Championship games in charge, 26 wins, 23 draws, 26 defeats. Do you honestly see this pattern changing under Gray. Sadly I don't and whether Wednesday Fans believe it or not DC hasn't bought us to languish around in the championship or lower.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

I don't get the "if it wasn't for Westwood.." argument..

So if we'd had gone without Westwood this season we'd be in trouble, yet we're mid table with him. Right.

He was signed by Gray.

So surely when he's still here next season, with better players, even making us just average then surely we've got a chance of the top 6?

I don't get the "if it wasn't for Westwood.." argument..

So if we'd had gone without Westwood this season we'd be in trouble, yet we're mid table with him. Right.

He was signed by Gray.

So surely when he's still here next season, with better players, even making us just average then surely we've got a chance of the top 6?

And you honestly believe that. I have lost count how many world class saves he's made that has earned all the points or a point at least.

I would put my mortgages on us being bottom 4 if we didn't have him and anyone who thinks otherwise need to remove the old blue and white tinted glasses.

Guest Manwithastick

I'm not saying he is good enough to march us to the PL but he's a a good squad player for his position.

utter nonsense. nowhere near good enough for top 6 all season. 

it'll be an absolute waste of time and money if SG is given the required budget for a top 6 (minimum) all season squad. And all this balls

about good coach, nice bloke etc. How do folk know he's a 'nice bloke'? And as for 'good coach - keep him in that role' - my kids have 

actively tried to find ways NOT to go to S6 this season (even a 'I've got to tidy my bedroom' FFS!) - they don't care about who coaches/manages 

the team - they just know it's BORING. 

Progession? 2 places on last season. And yes, SG HAS had cash to spend on fees and loans. 

New owners - clean slate - different ambitions - we need a different squad (and I'm talking wholesale changes - don't give me the we should keep

so and so as a decent squad player as per Maghoma here GET RID - or any of that it'll take them aaaaages to gel rubbish - if they're good enough, 

really good enough, they'll win football matches) and someone with the ability to recruit real quality and get them playing ruthless attacking football to 

manage/coach them. 

SG is NOT that man. And no, we don't owe him anything. No room for any sentiment (not that I have any personally).

We need far, far better squad players than Maghoma to get to where we want to go, in my opinion. Especially in positions like the wing where squad players can make such a big impact from the bench.

Even though I'm a Megsonite, the way Gray has been undermined is shocking. This kind of treatment is so common in the corporate world it is vomit worthy.

1) Firm is taken over and nice noises are made about continuity

2) Bloke actually doing job is given committee of supervisors to help him do job he is doing but they don't include him in their discussions/ press conferences.

3) Bloke struggles to maintain authority cos everyone in club knows he is being marginalised.

4) Bloke can't stop shrill tone infecting his larynx as he tries to insist he is still in charge.

5) Bloke clutches at ludicrous reasons for not being involved in big boys conversations because they are commuting or something.

6) Blokes performance starts to suffer and/or he blows top.

7) Bloke told he is incompetent or unreasonable.

8) Bloke gets sack and committee appoint their mate.

OK - so maybe there's a bit of autobiography in there. But whatever any of us might think of his tactics etc Gray is a good bloke and if they don't want him as manager ruddy well say it to his face.

do you work at our place?

And you honestly believe that. I have lost count how many world class saves he's made that has earned all the points or a point at least.

I would put my mortgages on us being bottom 4 if we didn't have him and anyone who thinks otherwise need to remove the old blue and white tinted glasses.

I agree he's won us many points this season

My point is that if Gray improves the quality and gets us an average team, surely that means we'll be around the top 6 with Westwood winning us many points?

People will read into things however they choose. There are certain things Gray won't discuss, period. Such as player contracts and private discussions with colleagues. The inner workings of a club are dealt with in house. That's how it is - and should stay that way. When he deems a line of questioning to be an imposition, Gray issues a standard response to placate. Maybe some of you are looking for a problem where there isn't one.

Absolutely this ^^. 

The questions asked to Gray in the interview that relate to this thread can be basically translated into:

"Hi Stuart.  You're not in charge are you?!" <-- Asked to provoke a response and it got one

"Has Roeder undermined your position?" <-- Asked to provoke a response and it got one

"Have you manage to meet with the rest of the committee yet?" <-- not a controversial question but maybe Gray should have elaborated about why they haven't met.  My guess is that Roeder is in the process of moving to the area (doesn't he live "darn sarf"?) and Pearson has arrangements to make relating to his other commitments. 

What we shouldn't forget is that Gray is not a robot and he's normally quite good in interviews (apart from his little repetitions).  If I was Radio Sheffield, Id keep my powder dry with those sort of "response provoking" questions.  Gray is very generous with his Radio Sheffield interviews (when compared with the likes of Evans and Clough); at some point, they'll need to ask those types of question and we'll want to hear them but that time isn't now and Giddins, Staton and Buchan could do with showing Gray the same respect as he shows them. 

Edited by shandypants

Obviously myself and a few others have different opinions on matters.

Fair enough.

I've seen improvements under Gray. I believe that with more money and better quality players we will still see improvements with him in charge.

I personally think that promotion next season would be a big ask, depends on how much money is being spent though. Last thing I want is to be back on the manager merry go round.