Retained list will be my decision insists Stuart Gray

Stuart Gray insists he and he alone will decide on the futures of those players whose contracts expire at the end of the season.

The appointment of Glenn Roeder and Adam Pearson as sporting directors raised questions as to what the decision making process would be at Hillsborough from this summer onwards.

But Gray says it would be foolish for anyone else to make decisions on players he has worked with for several years.

“It will be my decision,†Gray said.

“At the end of the day I’ve worked with these players all season.

“Glenn has only just come in and so has Adam.

“I’ve worked with the lads for 46 league games, every day for the full season so I will have a big say in it.â€

Gray says discussions on potential new contracts will begin next week, following the final game of the season at promoted Watford on Saturday.

And while he admits he would love to get his transfer activity done quickly, he remains in the hands of player agents.

He said: “As soon as we get the last game of the season out of the way we will be talking to the lads.

“I’d love to get my business done early but it will all be driven by agents.â€

Gray will work alongside Roeder and Pearson as part of a three-man committee.

He revealed he has yet to have a lengthy meeting with his two new colleagues since their appointment last month.

But the trio will meet next week in order to formulate their plans for a promotion push next season.

He said: “We’ve not had an in-depth conversation yet.

“Glenn has been commuting up and down and the same with Adam.

“We’ll sit down next week once we’ve got the season out of the way and hopefully we can get a plan together.

“We all want to get to that promised land and the important thing is we’ve all got a part to play.â€

There are some confused messages coming out of the club at the moment. Gray hasn't had a meeting with Roeder and Pearson to formulate plans for next season, so he's going to be deciding who to retain and who to release without these plans in place? What if his decisions don't fit into the plans for next season?

I think the way the two new men were brought in has also undermined Gray. He could have been part of the press conference, presenting a united team going forward into next season. Instead, it was suggested in the media interviews that he didn't know who was being brought in until the rest of us did and he's claiming still not to have had a proper meeting with them.

Gray has done a great job for us and deserves the chance to work with better players, but he doesn't sound like he's in a strong position right now. Hopefully all is well behind the scenes and it only appears that way from the outside.

Stuart Gray insists he and he alone will decide on the futures of those players whose contracts expire at the end of the season. 

“I’ve worked with the lads for 46 league games, every day for the full season so I will have a big say in it.â€

So is he making the decisions or not, it's a bit contradictory.

Even though I'm a Megsonite, the way Gray has been undermined is shocking. This kind of treatment is so common in the corporate world it is vomit worthy.

1) Firm is taken over and nice noises are made about continuity

2) Bloke actually doing job is given committee of supervisors to help him do job he is doing but they don't include him in their discussions/ press conferences.

3) Bloke struggles to maintain authority cos everyone in club knows he is being marginalised.

4) Bloke can't stop shrill tone infecting his larynx as he tries to insist he is still in charge.

5) Bloke clutches at ludicrous reasons for not being involved in big boys conversations because they are commuting or something.

6) Blokes performance starts to suffer and/or he blows top.

7) Bloke told he is incompetent or unreasonable.

8) Bloke gets sack and committee appoint their mate.

OK - so maybe there's a bit of autobiography in there. But whatever any of us might think of his tactics etc Gray is a good bloke and if they don't want him as manager ruddy well say it to his face.

Confused messages coming out of the club is nothing new, they've been a feature of Milan's time here. Of course there is the capacity for things to seem even more confusing, given the set up of the club. You are going to have various participants making statements indipendently Not sure whether the lack of communication is a genuine concern, or just a case of getting the season out of the way first. Also, Gray was always saying he hadn't spoken to Milan when he was chairman, then he hadn't sat down with the new owners, and now his fellow committee members. If there isn't an issue, then perhaps he shouldn't keep mentioning it to Journos If there is an issue, then it needs to be resolved as quickly as possible

Hmmm it seems Gray hasn't really had any meetings with the new owner or the new additions to the staff, something doesn't quite feel right. Whoever makes the decision let's hope they kick Maghoma out the door!

Nothing new mate, he was always saying the same about not having sat down with Milan

Guest Leapylee11

This is grays opportunity to make it as a manager! He is going to decide who stays and goes then the 3 amigos have to fill in the gaps! Then Gray will get to work gelling them before the season! Can he handle the pressure? Only time will tell! I personally would only keep 6/7 of the current playing staff, rest of them can whistle!

Guest totemowl

He's got it dead right as far as I'm concerned. Said what needs to be said - honest but not controversial - whether or not he's got a long term future.

Also spot on with in what he said about Maguire.

Can't see Gray going, both DC and Pearson have indicated that he will be here next season.

I'm sure that the "Committee" will sit down and discuss each player.  Gray will have the last say on who goes and stays, would be a bit of a shot in the dark if Roeder was to decide.

Surely this is what the committee is for? Bouncing ideas off each other each bringing their expertise to the table.

Think people are reading to much in to too little.  The OT way.

Can't see Gray going, both DC and Pearson have indicated that he will be here next season.

I'm sure that the "Committee" will sit down and discuss each player.  Gray will have the last say on who goes and stays, would be a bit of a shot in the dark if Roeder was to decide.

Surely this is what the committee is for? Bouncing ideas off each other each bringing their expertise to the table.

Think people are reading to much in to too little.  The OT way.

I'm not so sure tbh.

Suppose when Chansiri came in and said to Gray go and make signing in the January window I'll pick the bill up but I expect a top 10 finish this season.

Whilst this is still possible it's highly unlikely we will finish 10th or above and Gray knows a lot rides on tomorrow.

Just a thought like.

I'm sure that the "Committee" will sit down and discuss each player. Gray will have the last say on who goes and stays, would be a bit of a shot in the dark if Roeder was to decide.

Think people are reading to much in to too little. The OT way.

That's how I see it. Take Semedo for example, Gray could well say to Roeder & Pearson "I know he's getting on a bit but he's been immense when he's played this season so I'd like to give him a contract for another year. We've got Melo to hopefully grow into that role but we'll need cover in that position the season after next so I'd like you Glen to get me somebody over the next 12 months".

Gray deserves a chance to put his plans forward and be assessed on that, given he will have financial support to implement any plan.

Unless therecis a clearly superior manager or coach available, who I cant think of anyone readily, he deserves the chance to be given a crack at it.

The very, very least Gray deserves is to be treated reasonably, fairly and with considerable respect given his contribution to this club.