Sheffield Wednesday community project- Scam?

Guest super mandaric

Guest super mandaric

Didn't happen to me personally, but my mom got a knock on door yesterday from someone claiming to be raising £30,000 for community projects for Sheffield Wednesday (said about anti bullying campaigns etc) and was doing so via a raffle at £2 a strip. My mom went to buy some and was told once she'd brought her money that it was via card only and they couldn't take cash. And as expected, shut the door in the blokes face.

Now she probably should've rang 101 on him, but didn't at the time. Was just wondering if anyone else had a run in with these people and if at all it's genuine or not?

Guest WESTENDOWL

Please don't use the word Mom it is not even a word / the yanks have a lot to answer for - it is offensive

Oh yeah and well done to your Mum, Mam, Mummy, Mammy, Maaa or Mother :) for closing the door on them

Mom has been used in Sheffield for yonks ( not yanks )

Guest WESTENDOWL

I thought so too. My mom called me nan mom

was she from Vietnam

Edited by WESTENDOWL

didn't she ask for ID??

What would ID do? Anyone with a printer and a computer can knock something up that looks fairly legit and when you have no idea what a legit ID for a wednesday community program employee would look like what difference does it make.

Good on her for closing the door on the chap. Always safest to rule it out if there's doubt!

Oh, and she should still call as the guy could be out in other areas trying to target other people. She could help and potentially save someone from ending up having an absolute nightmare thanks to some random scum.

PS: I can barely tell the difference when someone says mum vs mom when accents are in play

Guest Johnbloodaxe

It's always been mom in Sheffield. I'm 59 and always said it, my dads 84 and always used it.

So it's not American, it's ours. Always has been.

In fact here are many words that we used many years ago and we've stopped using them, that Americans still use, but are really just ours which have gone out of fashionable use here. So stick yer mam mum etc up yer bum. Its mom!

wtf is a lanyard? Is it a badge on a string sort er thing?

And it cud be worse...i had sum cnut knockin on m door askin me to vote labour

It could have been even worse still... it could have been some cnut asking you to vote conservative.