Championship Season 15/16, building a squad for promotion. Rumours.

Guest TommyTank

Guest TommyTank

With many players out of contract and with the season coming to an end very soon I believe this is going to be the most active summer we have ever had at SWFC.

Following on from the transfer mega threads etc I actually think there will be too much going on at the club to realistically keep up, so I have opened this thread so we can discuss any rumours on the squad shaping for the season 15/16. 

Shortly after the season finishes our retained list should be pushed out which will make interesting reading and should give us an indication of where we could be heading under our new leader Mr Chansiri.

The first bit of news I have received is reference Stevie May, I told Owlstalkers many months ago that Stevie was a bit unsettled in Sheffield. The reason for this is that he his rattling around a big 5 bed house on his own and his girlfriend is up in Scotland.

Today I was told that Stevie is in early talks with Aberdeen over a season long loan.

Now I have had a bit of time thinking this over and I think it could be a good move for both club and player, Stevie gets to go back up and have another year with his GF also gaining match experience in the SPL.

Still under contract at Wednesday so if he performs well then we either receive a decent fee for him or comes back down here and into the first team.

This could also mean we will be looking for better, more established strikers for next season rather than younger gambles. Which in my opinion is the way we need to go.

I will keep you all updated if I hear anything else and please share in this thread if you get any info about our promotion to the premiership squad building. 

WAWAW WTID

Guest conisbrough

Was told on Tuesday by someone who says is in know that we have made tentative enquiries regarding the following.

James Wilson, Luke Garbutt, Sam Byram all out of contract.

Was told on Tuesday by someone who says is in know that we have made tentative enquiries regarding the following.

James Wilson, Luke Garbutt, Sam Byram all out of contract.

Byram is at Leeds til 2016

Guest TommyTank

If i were in charge i'd attemp to lure Frank Lampard , Stevie Gerrard & Peter Crouch: These lads would come for the right offer & a deal sold to em.

Id rather not if Im being honest.

Id rather sign players with a few years left in them.

Plenty of Championship players who look ready for the premiership.

The likes of Westwood, Lees, McGugan are a good start with more of the same sort of quality-

Personally i like the look of George Friend at Boro for left back, in my opinion that is the weakness in our defense.

A central midfield player who could easily make the step up but is Henri Lansbury but Im not sure if he's too similar to McGugan.

A couple of wingers that I like are Craig Noone and Ben Marshall, again same sort of quality to the others and proven at this level with potential for the premiership.

Matt Ritchie at Bournemouth would be an option too if we want to spend a bit.

There are 4 strikers that I would be looking at and this depends on the promotion race this season in the championship.

My priority would be Cameron Jerome, he does everything and he's probably the most rounded and best forward in the division.

Failing that id look at Matej Vydra from Watford, Callum Wilson at Bournemouth and finally Patrick Bamford on loan from Chelsea at Boro.

Im not sure the fee Blackburn would want for Rhodes would be worth it, he's a poacher but I think we need players who do a bit of everything.

I am assuming that we will have some money to spend.

I have been told that we will be surprised with the comings and goings both on and off the pitch in the summer.

Came from a former player who still has good connections with the club.

We will see.

Stevie May, moving him out for a season loan wouldn't benifet us I don't believe the problem will still be there after the loan is over.

My priority would be Cameron Jerome, he does everything and he's probably the most rounded and best forward in the division.

Jerome would be the perfect signing for us, but I just can't see it happening.

If Norwich go up, then surely he'd feel he deserves another crack at the Premier League, and if they stay down, there's no reason they'd want to sell him unless we made them an insane offer. I suppose our best chance would be if they went up and brought in some expensive new strikers. He only cost them around £1.5m, which is a bargain for a striker of his quality when you consider some of the ridiculous fees being splurged all over the place these days.

If only we'd had the money back then...

Id rather not if Im being honest.

Id rather sign players with a few years left in them.

Plenty of Championship players who look ready for the premiership.

The likes of Westwood, Lees, McGugan are a good start with more of the same sort of quality-

Personally i like the look of George Friend at Boro for left back, in my opinion that is the weakness in our defense.

A central midfield player who could easily make the step up but is Henri Lansbury but Im not sure if he's too similar to McGugan.

A couple of wingers that I like are Craig Noone and Ben Marshall, again same sort of quality to the others and proven at this level with potential for the premiership.

Matt Ritchie at Bournemouth would be an option too if we want to spend a bit.

There are 4 strikers that I would be looking at and this depends on the promotion race this season in the championship.

Failing that id look at Matej Vydra from Watford, Callum Wilson at Bournemouth and finally Patrick Bamford on loan from Chelsea at Boro.

Im not sure the fee Blackburn would want for Rhodes would be worth it, he's a poacher but I think we need players who do a bit of everything.

I am assuming that we will have some money to spend.

Living in dreamland mate. Jerome, Wilson, Vydra, Bamford, Rhodes?

3 million plus for all of them players and the rest. Bamford on loan doubt it, he's proven his ability in this league for two seasons now- he will be playing Premier League football next season.

A lot of people are going to be disappointed if they think we will be setting our sights on that calibre of player- highly highly doubt Chansiri is going to go mad and splash the cash like that.

Someone I know went to a club function  a week ago which included the players and the murmerings were that SG will not be here next season. 

It's as though the players already know that the writing is on the wall. Gray hasn't been offered a new contract and there is no sign of one.

I find this a little odd but wouldn't be surprised.

Living in dreamland mate. Jerome, Wilson, Vydra, Bamford, Rhodes?

3 million plus for all of them players and the rest. Bamford on loan doubt it, he's proven his ability in this league for two seasons now- he will be playing Premier League football next season.

A lot of people are going to be disappointed if they think we will be setting our sights on that calibre of player- highly highly doubt Chansiri is going to go mad and splash the cash like that.

Exactly. We have money to spend but that doesn't mean we can sign anybody we like from the championship/lower end premier league - Ritchie will be in Bournemouth's first team and Wilson will be given a chance too, Bamford will be aiming at the premier league next year and would Financial Fair Play even allow us to spend the money to bring in Rhodes? I know it's exciting but come on, keep it real...

Edited by GroundhoppingOwl

Gray still has a year left on his contract..

Ah well, looks like it may be that he's getting paid off then. It's only what someone told me, not reading too much into it.

I do think though that if we have been linked to people like Comolli then Gray doesn't quite sit in the same mould.

I have been told that we will be surprised with the comings and goings both on and off the pitch in the summer.

Came from a former player who still has good connections with the club.

We will see.

Been told the same by an ex-pro with connections to the academy.

Oh and Matt Richie.

Yep sure he will swap Premier League football for the Championship next season. Maybe f we had about 5 or 6 million and offered him 30k a week.

No way Bournemouth will let Ritchie go for anything near some sensible fee, but every club promoted to the big league will look at players at its disposal at the end of the season and ask themselves if they can cut it at Premiership level ? Good number of those will go to ambitious Championship sides to help their former clubs to fund players they will feel are good enough to play at Premiership level.

No way Bournemouth will let Ritchie go for anything near some sensible fee, but every club promoted to the big league will look at players at its disposal at the end of the season and ask themselves if they can cut it at Premiership level ? Good number of those will go to ambitious Championship sides to help their former clubs to fund players they will feel are good enough to play at Premiership level.

That's true but Ritchie is possibly Bournemouth's best player so I daresay they'll at least give him a crack at the premier league before casting him aside.