Championships Relegated Clubs Players - Any we should look at?

Guest conisbrough

With regard Maclean he is a good player but has a tendency to be rash in tackle and his off field politics (refusal to wear a poppy) are such he is likely to put many folks back up. I would not be keen on bringing in any Wigan player as something clearly poisoned the club. A team do not go from play off participants to relegation with same squad unless something internal is wrong. Those who know individuals may know who or what is problem so can avoid bad apples but there is certainly something which has resulted in club failing to perform and two managers with good records both failed.

Listened to Gray's interview before Bournemouth game and I got impression they already had players lined up to bring in. Gray clearly knows what type/calibre of player we are likely to recruit and interviewer could tell he knew much more than he was divulging.

Did any body else get this impression.

If there is one player I would try to sign from any of relegated clubs it would have to be Wigan's Emyr Huws. Welsh international, signed from Man City for big money to be important player in squad that was supposed to get them back to The Premiership. Didn't play a lot for them because of injury, but that, manager who brought him in leaving, and Wigan's relegation from The Championship would be major reason why he might be available for well beyond what he is really worth.

Guest totemowl

Ah, some good wholesome relegation fodder.

Why stop there tho - we could go for one of their managers as well.

Nothing quite like stuffin' yourself b4 season's started.

If there is one player I would try to sign from any of relegated clubs it would have to be Wigan's Emyr Huws. Welsh international, signed from Man City for big money to be important player in squad that was supposed to get them back to The Premiership. Didn't play a lot for them because of injury, but that, manager who brought him in leaving, and Wigan's relegation from The Championship would be major reason why he might be available for well beyond what he is really worth.

Good shout.

Completely forgot he went there.

Regards Wigan players being poison- don't buy that. Obviously something has gone horribly wrong there but individually they have some very good players at this level who could improve our squad.

People said the same about Wolves but they went down, got back up and can still make the play offs in the Championship with some of the side which got them relegated from the division 2 years ago.

Ah, some good wholesome relegation fodder.

Why stop there tho - we could go for one of their managers as well.

Nothing quite like stuffin' yourself b4 season's started.

Stephen Ward

Karl Henry

Bakary Sako

Christophe Berra

Lee Tomlin

George Boyd

Dwight Gayle

Albert Adomah

Tom Heaton

Paul Anderson

...have all played for teams relegated from the Championship in the past few seasons. Just saying.

Guest totemowl

Stephen Ward

Karl Henry

Bakary Sako

Christophe Berra

Lee Tomlin

George Boyd

Dwight Gayle

Albert Adomah

Tom Heaton

Paul Anderson

...have all played for teams relegated from the Championship in the past few seasons. Just saying.

I thought you were arguing against me, but realised Ward is getting relegated again. Henry, on verge of getting relegated again... And on it goes.

I thought you were arguing against me, but realised Ward is getting relegated again. Henry, on verge of getting relegated again... And on it goes.

So none of these players would be good enough for a team looking to go up from the Championship, as you suggested in your earlier post?

I think you should prepare to be disappointed with some of our summer transfer dealings...

Guest Bournemouth Owl

No they are failures, we need winners

Premiership class players need only apply

I think you are dead right, winners only need apply.

Guest totemowl

So none of these players would be good enough for a team looking to go up from the Championship, as you suggested in your earlier post?

I think you should prepare to be disappointed with some of our summer transfer dealings...

It's not just about quality. It's also about mentality, specifically having a winning mentality.

I'd steer clear...

It's not just about quality. It's also about mentality, specifically having a winning mentality.

I'd steer clear...

I don't think it's as clear cut as that; sometimes good players with everything needed to be a success at another club end up in teams that get relegated. If we were to discount them entirely based on that, we could be missing out on some great acquisitions. 

It's a moot point anyway, as McClean is the only player I'd take from this season's likely relegation squads!

Individual players with a good attitude and good ability can still get relegated if those around them aren't up to it, have a bad attitude/lack of confidence or all three.

Shefki kuqi left us after relegation and scored 20 odd goals for Ipswich and ended up being sold again. It's not a simple case of writing them all off.

I have to say though, in this instance there aren't many in those teams that I'd want or that could be bought cheaply