Chris Maguire

Guest RoyalNavyOwl

He's technically a good player and not afraid to shoot. Has some good qualities but his major downfall is the fact that he tries to take on too many players, gets caught in possession and loses the ball in vulnerable areas / after right back has overlapped leaving us dangerously vulnerable to counter attacks. Sometimes he needs to get his head up and look for the easy pass instead of trying to take on the man. I think he is lacking a bit of confidence and is trying to compensate for this / trying to prove to himself and others that he is good enough but unfortunately by doing so he shoots himself in the foot and the fans get frustrated with him. If he just did more pass and move and triangle football tactics like he did against Brentford and latter half of last season then he would be more consistent and would be the player we know he has the potential to be!

Consistency is his main problem , yeah he's got the quality but he needs to be able to show it on a regular basis

He's had a poor season for me

Always shows for the ball when others tend to hide had a great game v Charlton probably only surpassed by Lavery. Always tries to create and one of our few players that initiates forward momentum he has his faults like shooting from 30yds out too much and trying to win the game on his own but at least these are positive traits.

I would not hesitate to offer him another 2yrs, if not in the starting 11 he is a more than satisfactory performer at this level and would be an asset to our squad.

Sign him up Stu

Maguire will be a late bloomer. I reckon he still has all his best football ahead of him. The big factor being that his game doesn't really rely on pace.

His strengths are his work rate and creativity. Theoretically, with age should come improved decision making leading to more sensible use of energy and sharper/ more effective delivery.

Also, think operating in a 4-3-3 would suit him better than 4-4-2. Less defensive responsibility.

Maguire's a very good option for us. He's not the answer. He's not going to be what's needed every week. But some weeks he will unlock a defence and help us earn a valuable point or three.

If this is the sort of player we are keeping don't moan when we are in a similar position. Lazy and loves himself. Also natural finisher ? How many shots does he drag wide ?

I agree we need squad players but that's what players like semedo should be. Maguire has a bit of abilIt's but his attitude is poor and for that reason should go

I think he's a very good player when playing well.

He was really important to us last season but not had the impact he did last.

Having said that I think he's the only player that can create something out of nothing or do something unexpected.

I still think he'd be best playing centrally behind a front 2.

2 year deal at least.

I like Maguire I think he's a decent player. Despite some generally poor form this season he's still chipped in with 5 goals even being a bit part player this second half of the season, which isn't a bad return. A couple of people have mentioned he'd be better surrounded by better players. Well let me tell you in case you have forgotten. He scored 10 goals in the second half of last season playing in a team with wickham, fryatt and kieren lee in the form of his life (who I also think will prosper from being in a decent team), so Maguire will DEFINITELY be better in a better team. Absolutely keep him. He's also one of the few players in our squad who doesn't go hiding when things aren't going for him.

Just having technical ability is not enough for a promotion push. His end product, the choices he makes, the amount of times he gives the ball away make it a no from me.

I would get Marshall in to do what Maguire does but more effectively.

Edited by Beholder

Just having technical ability is not enough for a promotion push. His end product, the choices he makes, the amount of times he gives the ball away make it a no from me.

I think that those (and by that I mean I'm really speaking for me) saying he should be offered another contract, are wanting him as part of a squad. Pretty much universally posters on OT are looking for some new blood on the wings.

I think that those (and by that I mean I'm really speaking for me) saying he should be offered another contract, are wanting him as part of a squad. Pretty much universally posters on OT are looking for some new blood on the wings.

Correct. This squad doesn't need a complete overhaul. Getting rid of both Maguire and maghoma would mean we need to sign 3-4 wingers. Keeping Maguire reduces the number of new faces needed and provides us with some much needed continuity. This squad we currently have isn't as bad as people make out. We just need an injection of quality in key areas

I'd keep Maguire in case Marshall (or whoever else we bring in) has a dip in form or gets injured.

Correct. This squad doesn't need a complete overhaul. Getting rid of both Maguire and maghoma would mean we need to sign 3-4 wingers. Keeping Maguire reduces the number of new faces needed and provides us with some much needed continuity. This squad we currently have isn't as bad as people make out. We just need an injection of quality in key areas

I'd keep Maguire in case Marshall (or whoever else we bring in) has a dip in form or gets injured.

I rarely climb down on Owlstalk but come to think of it I agree.

Marshall and Maguire (for instance ) are not too dissimilar and would provide good competition for each other. Plus we want to keep a good bit of continuity.

We defo need another speedy winger though. Someone who dominates games like Nouha Dicko at Wolves.

Edited by Beholder

I rarely climb down on Owlstalk but come to think of it I agree.

Marshall and Maguire (for instance ) are not too dissimilar and would provide good competition for each other. Plus we want to keep a good bit of continuity.

We defo need another speedy winger though. Someone who dominates games like Nouha Dicko at Wolves.

True. We've really missed the pace of Antonio and JJ this season. Drenthe provided a brief glimpse of what we've been missing, but he was gone as soon as he reached full fitness, and Helan doesn't use his pace enough when played on the wing for my liking.

Whoever we bring in will have to fit Gray's style and be prepared to track back when needed - Drenthe actually did this a million times better than I thought he would, whereas Antonio all too often didn't bother.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Isgrove return on a season loan, as Gray seems to rate him based on his post match interviews.