Out of cantract players - who to keep new we are safe?

I don't think there will be a mass culling to be honest.  As a squad, what we have isn't bad, what we lack is the real quality to make it brilliant.  Depth is an important factor too, hence why I don't think we'll go chucking away too many players who have been around the first team this season.  

I think Loovens, Mattock, Maguire, Lee, Semedo will definitely be offered new deals - and they would all be within their rights to refuse 1 year deals (as players who have played a lot this season, they will expect some sort of job security- that's just how it is).  Buxton (who has looked brilliant these last 2 games) and Zayatte will also be offered new deals I think, but ones which reflect their injury ravaged season.  The problem there might be if another club risks it offers them longer or stronger deals.  It wouldn't surprise me if Maghoma was offered something too - I think Gray quite likes him.  As for Kehlar, if he isn't on much and is happy to be backup, I'd expect him to be here next season too.  

Gray will want to focus his efforts on signing the top quality players this summer, not wasting time finding squad players when the ones we have are perfectly adequate for that job.  

Buxton getting new deals from so many (I know he's played well the last two games)

Jeeeez wish I could turn into work 3 days a year and be kept on.

If you injured yourself doing your job for your employers, you might think about it differently.

Gray will want to focus his efforts on signing the top quality players this summer, not wasting time finding squad players when the ones we have are perfectly adequate for that job.  

Exactly this. There's little point signing players to sit on the bench. If we want to progress, we need to sign first teamers who will relegate this season's starters to the bench. At least there'll be some continuity and cohesion that way.

Kirkland - High wages = Release

Buxton - Injury prone = Release

Mattock - Good defender, Good age = Keep

Loovens - Good defender, Good leader = Keep

Semedo  - Right attitude, decent enough = Keep

McGuire - We can do better = Release

Coke - League 1 at best = Release

McCabe - Not progressed = Release

Madine - Too much trouble = Release

Zayette - Injury prone = Release

Maghoma - We've outgrown this type of player = Release

Lee - Good player = Keep

Corry - Not progressed = Release

Floro - Not progressed = Release

Kelher - Not progressed = Release

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Hoping this is the case.

Building out depth and only adding to the squad players of a better quality.

Kelher - Not progressed 

Bit harsh Hoots, I've heard he's walking at the moment. A big step forward!

If you injured yourself doing your job for your employers, you might think about it differently.

Fair point BUT surely we cant be giving deals to players like Buxton. Especially when we brought a right back in January with view to him taking Buxton's squad place this summer. Buxton will be let go im sure.

I am surprised as many people would offer Loovens a contract. Must have barely been fit for 25 games this season.

Would not be confident at all he would be available for any more next season. I agree though a good player when fit.

There's a big difference between being injury proem like Hutchinson or Buxton who pick up little injuries here and there and are all different types. But Loovens broke his ankle. It's not the same.

Fair point BUT surely we cant be giving deals to players like Buxton. Especially when we brought a right back in January with view to him taking Buxton's squad place this summer. Buxton will be let go im sure.

I'm sure he will be too.

But Buxton is a better right back, and he'd be a pretty decent centre back too. Personally, I'd keep him for cover and experience, unless the medical team say he's utterly had it.

I'd have kept reda too, but I think he's only managed 19 games for coventry this year. So sometimes you've gotta trust the medics.

Either way, Buxton doesn't seem the type of player who wants to be sidelined injured, he's been an excellent professional for us and it'll be sad to see him go.

Bit harsh Hoots, I've heard he's walking at the moment. A big step forward!

There's no room for sentiment mate

I like Buxton

But we can't be paying players who spend most of the season in a treatment room

Note - Using Buxton as an example of a player I'd like to keep, but realise it's unfeasable.

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Give Kelhar another contract? - surely he'd be the only senior squad player in history to have been given three deals without ever making an appearance

Perhaps there's still hope for me getting one if you never actually have to play  lol

Kirkland - I'd offer him a new deal, but I think he'll be wanting first team football

Buxton - Tough one. Is still out best full back by a long way, but his injury record is not good. I'd offer him a deal, heavily incentivised by appearances.

Mattock - Solid, proven, dependable, and a good age. Two year deal for me.

Loovens - Invaluable and has been badly missed, but injuries a worry again. One year deal.

Semedo - Has been superb this year and has earned himself a new deal. One year.

Maguire - Still has something to offer, and would be a very solid squad option. One year deal.

Coke - Release

McCabe - Release

Madine - Release

Zayette - Has been very good of late. Again injuries a worry, but you'll struggle to find a better back up centre half for the money. One year deal.

Maghoma - Similar scenario to Maguire. Our leading assistee, very undervalued by the fans. Solid squad option and can cover all midfield positions. One year deal.

Lee - Getting back to his best, and hopefully he'll continue to improve. Another versatile squad member. Two year deal.

Corry - Release

Floro - Release

Kelher - You get the feeling that renewing his contract in January was more sentiment than future planning. Not featured. Release

We aren't going to release most of the players. The last club the club needs is a revolution. We've constantly improved. We need to evolve this squad, not rip it up and start again. I'd keep Maguire & Maghoma, not only for the reasons above, but because we'd need a minimum of three, maybe four wide players if they're released. It's totally unrealistic. Teams evolve by building, and as part of the building process and increasing competition, and these two would thrive under it.

Assuming Kirkland leaves, that would leave the squad looking like:

Goalkeepers - Westwood, Wildsmith

Right Back - Vermijl, Palmer, Buxton

Left Back - Mattock, Hélan, Dielna

Centre Back - Lees, Loovens, Zayette, Dielna/NEW?

Defensive Midfield - Semedo, Hutchinson, Mélo

Central Midfield - Lee, NEW (McGugan), Maghoma

Right Wing - Maguire, NEW

Left Wing - Maghoma, NEW, Lavery

Striker - Nuhiu, Bus, Lavery, NEW, May

Even keeping a lot of the current squad, I think we'd be looking at at least FIVE new additions. Any more than that there's a lot of settling in.

I do worry for May next season. Just cannot see how he's going to get a look in. We now have two strikers who are similar players to him, but far superior. If we can recoup a decent amount of his fee, I'd probably look to cash in to be honest. Might be harsh on a young lad, but realistically, he's going to be at least fifth choice. And that's assuming we only sign one striker.

Of the ones whose deal is up, I'd certainly hope we could sign better than mattock and Zayette. And we'll need better wide options than maguire and Maghoma to move forward.

I think if we had a central midfield of melo, lee, mcgugan, semedo and Hutchinson, that would be decent enough.

All these people saying Kelhar should be binned... what exactly are you basing that on? That after being injured for months he wasn't able to get into the best defence we've had for two decades? I'm not saying he should be offered a new deal by the way as I've not seen him play either, but at least I'm honest about my ignorance. My advice would be to trust those who know what the budget is, what our expectations are and what the player might have shown in training.

I still suspect some people are going to be a bit disappointed about this summer. There are clearly going to be significant changes but I can't imagine that it will satisfy many of those addicted to the fantasies of their laptops and Sky's onanism on transfer deadline day.