How will we fit Melo into the side?

Semedo has to be retained, absolutely had to be.

Imagine having an established championship midfielder who can help melo settle in with regards to on and off the pitch who can also help with language barriers and translation.

Add to that he's been our best midfielder this year and adds leadership qualities to the squad.

Semedo has to be retained, absolutely had to be.

Imagine having an established championship midfielder who can help melo settle in with regards to on and off the pitch who can also help with language barriers and translation.

Add to that he's been our best midfielder this year and adds leadership qualities to the squad.

I agree, him and Melo for me.

People still in the mindset of setting up to defend away from home with 2 holding lol don't think the likes of burnmouth, middlesborough, Derby etc. worry about the opposition. We should (should) have the players next season to not worry about other teams

Even with Semedo and Melo in the centre of the park (doesn't equate to setting up to defend, can't base next season on last season) I Completely agree. The teams that have delivered this season have set up 4-3-3 and gone for the jugular. There's a raft of mediocrity this season, I'm afraid to say that we are on that raft too! Next year I hope we attack, attack, attack. It has to be Sergio Bus up top with +a.n.other, and McGugan just behind.

Edited by F. Spiksley

Even with Semedo and Melo in the centre of the park (doesn't equate to setting up to defend, can't base next season on last season) I Completely agree. The teams that have delivered this season have set up 4-3-3 and gone for the jugular. There's a raft of mediocrity this season, I'm afraid to say that we are on that raft too! Next year I hope we attack, attack, attack. It has to be Sergio Bus up top with +a.n.other, and McGugan just behind.

I agree with regards to that not meaning we set up to defend (although my earlier post may have hinted otherwise). If you play with wing backs and very attacking wingers, it is a system that can work and maybe requires 2 holding. What I was trying to get at and perhaps worded poorly was people saying we should change to this system away from home with 2 holding midfielders. Next season, if that's the formation the manager wants to play, if will be played home and away. We won't be worrying about opposition.

I agree with regards to that not meaning we set up to defend (although my earlier post may have hinted otherwise). If you play with wing backs and very attacking wingers, it is a system that can work and maybe requires 2 holding. What I was trying to get at and perhaps worded poorly was people saying we should change to this system away from home with 2 holding midfielders. Next season, if that's the formation the manager wants to play, if will be played home and away. We won't be worrying about opposition.

Being solid doesn't equate to a defensive mindset, so I'm with you on that.

We need a bit of control and aggression tempered with attack attack attack!!!

It would be nice to think we could do that next season, but it would require significant investment in the attacking areas. The likes of Norwich, Watford, Derby, Middlesborough, and even Bournemouth, all have attacking riches that we've only been able to dream about. Are we now going to be able to go out and pay three or four million for a player, perhaps two of them? The quality in this division is frightening, and the level of investment needed to compete at the top already seems to be scaring some of our fans.

I agree that Melo when up to speed will replace Semedo at times in a 442 and be alongside him at times in a 4231 as the opposition demands.

Yeah I posted the info from his cousin that was second hand from twitter so of course take with the usual pinch of salt but his cousin confirmed that he was bought primarily with an eye for next season onward.

Cheers mate. Nice to know I wasn't imagining it.

Guest TommyTank

4-2-3-1 works if you have the 4 attacking players who have the quality to really stretch the opposition.

The Forward up top needs a bit of everything, he needs to be physical, powerful, he needs to have pace, he needs to be good in the air and with his feet.

You know like Diego Costa, he can quite easily occupy both Centre Backs.

The 3 attacking midfield players need to be all about creativity, players like David Silva, Hazard and Coutinho.

I wonder how much those 4 would cost.

4-2-3-1 works if you have the 4 attacking players who have the quality to really stretch the opposition.

The Forward up top needs a bit of everything, he needs to be physical, powerful, he needs to have pace, he needs to be good in the air and with his feet.

You know like Diego Costa, he can quite easily occupy both Centre Backs.

The 3 attacking midfield players need to be all about creativity, players like David Silva, Hazard and Coutinho.

I wonder how much those 4 would cost.

I reckon if we sold nuhiu we could probably just about manage it

Agree that to play this system you need a striker who has pace power strength and height. Someone who can lead the line, hold the ball up and then use his pace to get into the box. If reports are true that were after noone from Cardiff, he seems more like an inside forward rather than a winger. Maguire and lavery also play the inside forward role. This system also allows your full backs to attack more. If we do sign a striker who can play the lone front man, would probably spell the end for 2 of our current strikers

Will Play the odd game, go out on loan and probably be gone by the end of next season unless Semedo goes. Hutch will stay in midfield - we have enough cover at the back.

An odd signing - reminds me a bit of Klas Ingessson and like he Swede, I just don't see him lasting here

Won't be a popular opinion but going forward I think we need better than Semedo. He is very good at his defensive duties and has played well this season the way Gray sets the team up, however if you want to be challenging at the top of the division a player needs to do a lot more in the Semedo role than he currently does. Like drive forward and carry the ball, offload the ball much quicker and spot a pass consistently and also chip in with a few goals at set pieces.

I like him and think he will still be a useful squad player but we will eventually need an upgrade. Is Melo this? Only time will tell

Yaya Toure it is then lol

Yaya Toure it is then lol

Or we could be sensible and not think all our players are world beaters when in reality they are limited to one role and style of play. Then the only ones that can do the described are elite premier league players.

Just a few in the championship that do the job of being a combative ball winner and then use the ball well and score a couple. Doesn't always have to go from one extreme to the other.

Rodolph Austin

Alexander Tettey

Scott Parker

Daniel Tozser

Andrew Surman

Jay Spearing

Grant Leadbitter

Chris Cohen

Graham Dorrans

Jeff Hemdrick

Cole Skuse

Craig Bryson

Kevin McDonald

Jason Lowe

Or we could be sensible and not think all our players are world beaters when in reality they are limited to one role and style of play. Then the only ones that can do the described are elite premier league players.

Just a few in the championship that do the job of being a combative ball winner and then use the ball well and score a couple. Doesn't always have to go from one extreme to the other.

Rodolph Austin - Hes a poor mans Semedo who occasionally scores a worldie, Semedo everyday of the week.

Alexander Tettey - Really?

Scott Parker - How Old are you thinking back to Premier League days.

Daniel Tozser - What do you base this on?

Andrew Surman - Different type of Player totally.

Jay Spearing - No where near Semedo standard cant believe you have put him on this list.

Grant Leadbitter - Steady player but on both games this season v us hes done nothing apart from whinge and score 2 penaltys.

Chris Cohen - Steady player.

Graham Dorrans - Totally different type of player.

Jeff Hemdrick - Same as above.

Cole Skuse - Seen nothing to ahow hes better than Semedo.

Craig Bryson - Overhyped.

Kevin McDonald - Hate to admit it but good player, Still think different role to Semedo though.

Jason Lowe - How much has anybody seen of this kid to says hed be better than Semedo?

Some really bad examples in there makes me wonder about your knowledge of football full stop.