How will we fit Melo into the side?

Mind geniunley boggles at people who think Semedo isnt good enough for a top end Championship side, When exactly has he let us down over his contract?

I cant think of any and we miss him badly when not available.

We've missed him because this season we have set up to defend and not to lose games, so when he's not there our defensive frailties become more apparent. Going forward and wanting to move up the leauge you have to have players that can both defend and attack (or at least start an attack off after winning the ball). Now we are getting a better pitch and allegedly better players and in turn you would expect more offensive football his role as shielding the back 4 (he offers little else) will become obsolete.

Just because a player has done well and given a lot to the cause doesn't mean you don't need better going forward if you want the club to progress. Too many sentimental fans, it would be great if he turned into a top end championship player/bottom end premier leauge player but I don't think it will happen. He would have been playing at a higher level long before now. Rob Jones when we were in league one is a good example. Did a job very well, but then Llera came in and did a better job and he gets released. Then Llera isn't good enough as we want to progress so he is released. Just how football works

We've missed him because this season we have set up to defend and not to lose games, so when he's not there our defensive frailties become more apparent. Going forward and wanting to move up the leauge you have to have players that can both defend and attack (or at least start an attack off after winning the ball). Now we are getting a better pitch and allegedly better players and in turn you would expect more offensive football his role as shielding the back 4 (he offers little else) will become obsolete.

Just because a player has done well and given a lot to the cause doesn't mean you don't need better going forward if you want the club to progress. Too many sentimental fans, it would be great if he turned into a top end championship player/bottom end premier leauge player but I don't think it will happen. He would have been playing at a higher level long before now. Rob Jones when we were in league one is a good example. Did a job very well, but then Llera came in and did a better job and he gets released. Then Llera isn't good enough as we want to progress so he is released. Just how football works

Really you need all types as no club in the championship has all players that can attack and defend, Who do people think we are suddenly going to become?

Lets sign Alonso/Busquests or Vidal what Schweinstieger they seem to be able to do both.

In the past ive criticised Semedo at this level and got shot down on here by a few people..

And well done them because i was clearly wrong ! Semi has proven this year he's a vital part of our squad, stepped up to the plate time and time again

Really you need all types as no club in the championship has all players that can attack and defend, Who do people think we are suddenly going to become?

Lets sign Alonso/Busquests or Vidal what Schweinstieger they seem to be able to do both.

From what I've seen so far this year, I can't see past Semedo for that holding role. For whatever reasons, Hutchinson and Melo have, as yet been unable to make a case. Thing is, I don't know enough about Melo, if we have signed our equivalent of Sergio Busquets, then jobs a good un.

I doubt it as he seems geniune to me that he loves being at SWFC.

He loves Wednesday your right.

How many times does the ball fall to him on the edge of our box though and you sit there thinking 'go on now lad drive at them'

i love his attitude and I would give him another year BUT im hoping we've got a better 'footballer' in there next season that's all.

It's easier for people to dismiss Semedo, rather than the more fashionable Hutchinson & Melo ... Dave Jones has already made a similar mistake here though.

Between his suspensions & injuries, Hutchinson is likely to be available for about a 3rd of the season. So I would understand of Gray has had a gut full and decided to move him on

Atm our squad best suits 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 / 4-3-2-1 (all pretty much the same), because we have no wingers and decent blend of midfielders - 

Enforcer - Semedo

Playmaker - McGugan

Box to Box / Runner - Lee

We may sign 4 world class wingers & strikers in the summer though lol 

Think semedo is being criticised a little too much by some on here. He is one of the best in the league at breaking up opposition attacks. If we had better options on the wing and hopefully mcgugan will sign then there's no reason to believe he can't play the holding role whilst others are more free to push forward. It's only due to our lacking in creative options why people think that he doesn't do enough. Look at when carlton palmer played for us. Very similar as nobody could say he was a brilliant player but he did the job he was asked to to and let more technical players Sheridan,waddle etc push further upfield and contribute to our attacking style of play

Guest Hola Tidman

Semedo has the best passing success rate in our team, so people saying we need someone who retains or starts off attacks more needs their eyesight testing

Had it on good authority that SG had absolutely nothing to do with the Melo signing and knew nothing about him until he signed.

Wouldnt surprise me, just hope he turns out as good as he looks on those clips

Edited by parkerowl

Semedo has the best passing success rate in our team, so people saying we need someone who retains or starts off attacks more needs their eyesight testing

Over what distance and in which direction? He is a ball winner who gives it to people who can pass: nothing wrong with that!

Don't let statistics blind you to the truth, Leon Britton of Swansea is statistically the finest passer of a ball in the Premier League.