How will we fit Melo into the side?

Our six signings in January, for me, probably through up more questions than answers. The biggest one, how do we intend to use Melo. If Semedo re-signs, we will have three defensive midfield players competing for the one place. Don't get me wrong, it's good to have options, but unless we're gonna change the system, 3 players for every position is a bit of a luxury.

I'd like to see Hutchinson used as a Centre half.

But I don't think he will be. If it's one holding midfielder, it's Semedo's place to lose, which leaves Hutchinson in probably his best position. On the bench, where he can cover 2 or 3 positions, and won't be required to play a full game.

Hutchinson guaranteed and Semedo likely to spend chunks of the season either injured or suspended.

Plus there'll be times when we need to play with two defensive midfielders in the middle.

This.

If we want to push on then we need strength in depth and the ability to play in different formations.

Won't be a popular opinion but going forward I think we need better than Semedo. He is very good at his defensive duties and has played well this season the way Gray sets the team up, however if you want to be challenging at the top of the division a player needs to do a lot more in the Semedo role than he currently does. Like drive forward and carry the ball, offload the ball much quicker and spot a pass consistently and also chip in with a few goals at set pieces.

I like him and think he will still be a useful squad player but we will eventually need an upgrade. Is Melo this? Only time will tell

Agree regarding Semedo not being "good" enough.

It's a rather harsh criticism of a man who bleeds blue and white and gives his all, but he's very one-dimensional. If you need a player to break up play, I suspect that he's probably one of the best in the Championship. But different scenarios require different solutions, and Semi while a fantastic spoiler of the game isn't much else. Certainly it remains to be seen whether Melo is even good enough (He may well not be), but from the video footage he seems to have a bit more all round ability to his game than our current two defensive midfielders. Having the ability to start with Melo but then replace him with Semi if an absolute warrior is needed seems to be a good solution.

If anything, my doubts are more with Hutchinson's future here than either Semi's or Melo's

Won't be a popular opinion but going forward I think we need better than Semedo. He is very good at his defensive duties and has played well this season the way Gray sets the team up, however if you want to be challenging at the top of the division a player needs to do a lot more in the Semedo role than he currently does. Like drive forward and carry the ball, offload the ball much quicker and spot a pass consistently and also chip in with a few goals at set pieces.

I like him and think he will still be a useful squad player but we will eventually need an upgrade. Is Melo this? Only time will tell

Yes we do!

On here though as long as the player says things that please the fans and puts a few crunching tackle's in they're a god.

Semedo has got better this year but he's seriously limited in football terms and wouldnt get into any side in the top 10 IMO

Mind geniunley boggles at people who think Semedo isnt good enough for a top end Championship side, When exactly has he let us down over his contract?

I cant think of any and we miss him badly when not available.

We may struggle to keep him then weather we offer him a new deal or not

We need to see Melo play to answer this

Semedo has been one of our top players this season and with the current squad and playiing style we have missed him when he is out.

However we would hope next season to have better players playing a more progressive style , retaining possession better.

Melo might be well capable of playing the defensive midfield role in that scenario. He has played it against teams like Benfica and Porto so can't be a bad player