Foreign Transfer Market

The lack of threads this past week or two has lead to this desperate attempt. I suppose this is where having very little to play for at the back end of the season leads.

With prices of English players and those who already ply their trade in the English leagues highly inflated are there any players from overseas you would like to see us bring in during the summer? What about potentially untapped markets that have yet to be taken advantage of?

Bus and Melo are relative unknowns but we are yet to see them make an impact (for obvious reasons). Nuhiu and Dielna were pretty much unknown before coming to us too. We have brought in a few ourselves and it looks like it looks like this could be a way forward. We also have plenty of foreigners with these having already had experience of English football, Semedo, Loovens, Zayatte, Vermijl, Helan.

So basically who, or where would you like to see us bring players in from?

The lack of threads this past week or two has lead to this desperate attempt. I suppose this is where having very little to play for at the back end of the season leads.

With prices of English players and those who already ply their trade in the English leagues highly inflated are there any players from overseas you would like to see us bring in during the summer? What about potentially untapped markets that have yet to be taken advantage of?

Bus and Melo are relative unknowns but we are yet to see them make an impact (for obvious reasons). Nuhiu and Dielna were pretty much unknown before coming to us too. We have brought in a few ourselves and it looks like it looks like this could be a way forward. We also have plenty of foreigners with these having already had experience of English football, Semedo, Loovens, Zayatte, Vermijl, Helan.

So basically who, or where would you like to see us bring players in from?

Exactly mate ,We will see a lot of foreign players hence the advert for an International recruitment scout.

I dont mind us looking to make the most of the foreign markets. But in terms of signing a goal scorer who can hit the ground running, looking at the top scorers list for this season, the vast majority are British or have played in England for a decent period of time.

The only exceptions are Vetokele and Antenucci who just creep in. The likes of Nuhiu have come on this season (even if inconsistent hes on 10) and Bus can hopefully do the same. But it looks as if many foreign strikers need a bit of time to adapt unless they have real pace and strength and can still use that as an advantage in such an intense league.

I thought Doukara would be a good signing for Leeds based on his start to the season but it hasnt really happened

Daryl Murphy Ipswich Town 23 2 Troy Deeney Watford 19 3 Cameron Jerome Norwich City 18 4 Odion Ighalo Watford 17 5 Chris Martin Derby County 16 5 Jordan Rhodes Blackburn Rovers 16 5 Callum Wilson AFC Bournemouth 16 6 Britt Assombalonga Nottingham Forest 15 7 Patrick Bamford Middlesbrough 14 7 Rudy Gestede Blackburn Rovers 14 7 Andre Gray Brentford 14 8 Brett Pitman AFC Bournemouth 13 9 Michail Antonio Nottingham Forest 12 9 Clayton Donaldson Birmingham City 12 9 Lewis Grabban Norwich City 12 9 Yann Kermorgant AFC Bournemouth 12 9 Grant Leadbitter Middlesbrough 12 9 Bakary Sako Wolverhampton Wanderers 12 9 Matej Vydra Watford 12 10 Kenwyne Jones Cardiff City 11 10 Matt Ritchie AFC Bournemouth 11 10 Igor Vetokele Charlton Athletic 11 11 Mirco Antenucci

I have nightmare's of us bringin in 8 players over the summer and 6 or 7 have never played in England before.

I'm more excited about the unknown rather than frightened. More of a surprise that way. Like you I would prefer players with experience of this leauge. Just signings just always seem more exciting

I personally hope we don't go through the foreign market. I'd like more players like McGugan who are at the right age and have experience at this level. I doubt we will go up next season but we need a squad of 20+ players all capable which I think we are a long way off.

I think we were plying our trade in the foreign market due to the fact we just couldn't compete in the English one. Hopefully now the shift will be 75% in favour of us doing our business in the English transfer market with a little extra clout behind us. I don't mind the other 25% coming from foreign leagues so long as the quality and age is right. I think we have to start looking at re-sale value now if we are indeed pumping money in from the very start. It didn't always matter so much with freebies. 

I'm sceptical that we can be successful at this level by following a league of nations route. There is evidence to show that clubs fare better when they recruit several players from one nation, maybe France would be good as the French players seem to acclimatise quickly to our style of football. It always helps to have a group of fellow countrymen to help the players bed in. As I said in the other thread, successful recruiting from overseas needs a decent knowledge of the game in that country. Just buying random players off agents show reels, is not the way forward in my opinion

Just watched the posted videos.

These players all look absolutely brilliant.

Oh, just a minute. Didn't Stevie May and Atdhe Nuhiu look like world beaters on their videos.

That's the problem with these promotional videos isn't it ? - They don't show us the chances they have MISSED

and you can bet that they have missed a lot more than they have scored.

I have nightmare's of us bringin in 8 players over the summer and 6 or 7 have never played in England before.

I feel the same. I really want us to bring in players that are of  proven Championship or even Prem quality. Foreign players that have never played in England are a massive risk imo.

the british market is way overpriced.

asombalonga 8m

Rhodes 8m

mcormack 11m

signings made in the 2nd tier!

with the right scouting we could pick up some reight gems for far less.

it may take a while for a team to gel & get used to English football but would be potentially worth while in the long run.

I'm more excited about the unknown rather than frightened. More of a surprise that way. Like you I would prefer players with experience of this leauge. Just signings just always seem more exciting

Ill counter that by saying id be much more excited about signing Marshall, McGugan amd McClean than three unknown players.

Guest wilyfox

Ill counter that by saying id be much more excited about signing Marshall, McGugan amd McClean than three unknown players.

In midfield, I agree. I want proven quality wingers in addition to McGugan like Marshall, Albrighton or McClean, even Noone (I'm warming to the suggestion of him).

But when it comes to strikers, you don't get much bang for your buck in the British market. We may have to go foreign again for that position to afford the quality we need.

In midfield, I agree. I want proven quality wingers in addition to McGugan like Marshall, Albrighton or McClean, even Noone (I'm warming to the suggestion of him).

But when it comes to strikers, you don't get much bang for your buck in the British market. We may have to go foreign again for that position to afford the quality we need.

How do you know if they've got the qualities to play over here though?

Guest wilyfox

How do you know if they've got the qualities to play over here though?

You don't; but, you can't say for sure that a proven striker on these shores would reproduce his form from elsewhere at Hillsborough either. Go with the best we can afford and keep your fingers crossed.

I feel the same. I really want us to bring in players that are of  proven Championship or even Prem quality. Foreign players that have never played in England are a massive risk imo.

Well they can be.

But I hate that attitude.

Thankfully we didn't adopt it when we signed Nilsson, Petrescu, Harkes, Alexandersson, or Thome (to name just a few).

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.