Andy booth

Guest Gazzaswfc

He was a very willing workhorse, who, apart from his time at Hillsborough (a bit like John Ritchie, but not in the same class) scored stacks of goals throughout his career. He was played up front, on his own, won everything in the air, and was then expected to chase and retrieve his own headers. At Huddersfield he actually played as part of a front two with (I think) Ronnie Jepson, who also had a very good goal scoring record when he played alongside Booth, but at Wednesday we never used him properly.

With him in the team for his 1st season, he scored about 16 goals I think, we finished 7th in the prem, our highest finish in the last 19 years, while in his 2nd season, when we had Di Canio, we finished 13th, and we were lucky to do that.

He was often sold short by DiCanio not passing the ball until Booth had 2-3 players around him. I am not saying Booth was the best forward in the country, far from it, but DiCanio was good at upsetting club, teams and players, remember the report by him in the Italian News papers slagging off his 'Team mates'.

No way those players had so much left in them. Their experience would have been valuable, but they were shadows of their former selves and needed replacing. Sale of Hirst to Southampton for 1.6 wan great deal for us.

Most of players we replaced them with were nowhere near good enough, and that was the problem. But in all truth we werent prepared to pay monney needed to replace such class often gambling on cheaper players that rarely proved good enough.

Btw. No way Booth was anywhere near 30k.

We sold Hirst in 1998 but Sheridan Waddle and Bright went on in 1995/96 when Pleat first took charge. What the guy i spoke to meant was as a team they felt they had a few more years in them from 1995 with a few additions. And i agree. 94/95 wasnt that bad but the teams compared to 95/96 were black and white. Fergusson was immense at this transitional periods and we dealt with ours stupidly. Not only did we sack a manager at a time we needed to be in transition...we employed Pleat....urgh i get shudders

I like Booth, he was a decent bloke.  

Remember chatting to him at Anfield.  Most of the other players just ducked their heads and ran onto the pitch.  Especially Benni Carbone.  

Booth was the only one who stopped for a chat.  

I was in a box for the nil all at Huddersfield when helan got 2 yellows but no red.

Booth was doing the meet and greet stuff and was pretty amiable. He even laughed when I asked him if locals sacrifice virgins on the moors to statues of him.

...nervously, whilst looking for the nearest door in case a swift exit was needed? gary megson

I like Booth, he was a decent bloke.  

Remember chatting to him at Anfield.  Most of the other players just ducked their heads and ran onto the pitch.  Especially Benni Carbone.  

Booth was the only one who stopped for a chat.  

He sat in the away stand with us one season at Blackburn when he was suspended.