Westwood

Guest Buxtonian

Being Irish myself, I find this incredibly hard to believe.

Only reason I can see him not being picked is that his last full international for Ireland, he conceded 6 against Germany. None were his fault though. If this keeps up, I would retire if I was him.

Unfortunately this happens to the best. I well remember England playing France in France. With the improperly adjusted floodlights almost blinding him, and a clot like Jack Charlton picked in preference to a magnificent, in his prime, Peter Swan, in front of him, the one and only Ron Springett let in either five or six, I forget which.Despite being way the best GK in England at the timr,he never played for England again.

Unfortunately this happens to the best. I well remember England playing France in France. With the improperly adjusted floodlights almost blinding him, and a clot like Jack Charlton picked in preference to a magnificent, in his prime, Peter Swan, in front of him, the one and only Ron Springett let in either five or six, I forget which.Despite being way the best GK in England at the timr,he never played for England again.

Buxton  being a bit pedantic here (or even completely wrong) but i think RS played against Austria in a pre World Cup friendly 1966.Also that French game was played in that awful year of bad weather and Springett hadn't played for 5/6 weeks.

O'neil is a footballing dinosaur, still living off past achievements at Leicester and Celtic.

He's picked Given and Forde because they are the status quo and more senior than Westwood.

If it was based on form and appearances then there would only be one person between the sticks for Ireland.

O'neil is a footballing dinosaur, still living off past achievements at Leicester and Celtic.

He's picked Given and Forde because they are the status quo and more senior than Westwood.

If it was based on form and appearances then there would only be one person between the sticks for Ireland.

I don't understand comments like he's a footballing dinosaur and living off achievements at Leicester and Celtic. Look at his career before and how good a job he did at Wycombe. Then when he took the Villa job he finished 6th 3 seasons in a row and they were playing damn good football. He leaves and look where they have been the past few years, relegation threatened. He then goes to Sunderland and keeps em up when they were in the poo , finishes 13th. Then admittedly gets the sack at the end of the season after but Sunderland weren't in the relegation zone when he did. Pretty much everywhere he's been over a 20 year period he's done a very good job.

Don't get me wrong I think his decision not to play Westwood is bizarre, but there is no doubting his cv.

I don't understand comments like he's a footballing dinosaur and living off achievements at Leicester and Celtic. Look at his career before and how good a job he did at Wycombe. Then when he took the Villa job he finished 6th 3 seasons in a row and they were playing damn good football. He leaves and look where they have been the past few years, relegation threatened. He then goes to Sunderland and keeps em up when they were in the poo , finishes 13th. Then admittedly gets the sack at the end of the season after but Sunderland weren't in the relegation zone when he did. Pretty much everywhere he's been over a 20 year period he's done a very good job.

Don't get me wrong I think his decision not to play Westwood is bizarre, but there is no doubting his cv.

Cheers Martin.

lol

Most of the International managers scouting work is done in front of the TV box or in the Prem. Championship and 1st division scouting is very low down on the list of priorities.

Westwoods manager, Gray is his best advocate and I would be surprised if he hasn't brought Westwood to O'Neils notice regarding his capabilities. 

Most of the International managers scouting work is done in front of the TV box or in the Prem. Championship and 1st division scouting is very low down on the list of priorities.

Westwoods manager, Gray is his best advocate and I would be surprised if he hasn't brought Westwood to O'Neils notice regarding his capabilities.

Except Forde is playing for Millwall?

charlton didnt play it was brian labone at centre half who to be fair was probably better than swan ,certainly in the opinion of harry catterick who was going to come back and sign swan until he realised how good labone was .......as for springett like someone else said he hadnt played for 5-6 weeks and was a bit rusty & at fault for 2 of the goals .yes was probably unlucky to lose his place but his successor again was certainly  better .

Strange how highly Westwood is rated here but not even in the picture for the no.1 in the International Team, makes you wonder how much better some of these International sides could actually be.

Westwood is one of the best keepers in the league there's no question, it's strange why Forde is considered "better" than he is, can't really argue when it comes to Given, the man's a legend in that Irish team he'll be hard to drop unless he actually retires, no matter how often he plays..

Only downside to this is Westwood wanting a move to play on a higher level to get the no.1 when Given retires...

charlton didnt play it was brian labone at centre half who to be fair was probably better than swan ,certainly in the opinion of harry catterick who was going to come back and sign swan until he realised how good labone was .......as for springett like someone else said he hadnt played for 5-6 weeks and was a bit rusty & at fault for 2 of the goals .yes was probably unlucky to lose his place but his successor again was certainly  better .

Brian Labone was unlucky not to get more England caps, he was a one club man, he went through his career without ever being booked.