Westwood

once someone becomes an international no.1 unless they start making mistakes for the national side theyre hard to dislodge in westwoods defence.

Given is 38 and played over 120 times for Ireland. But played barely any football in the last three seasons.

Forde is 35 with just over 20 caps for Ireland.

Westwood is 30 with 16 caps.

You've got to go on form with the keeper, westwood is on form and a longer term bet than forde and given.

Yes: This is real. Westwood is a very good keeper, but does have mistakes in him. IE. 2nd goal @ Rovrum last week was his fault: end off. & he's 3rd choice Irish keeper according to people who know a lot more about football than you or me. Get over it.

He does have mistakes in him.

But every keeper has mistakes in him. Even the best in the world.

If your argument for Westwood being 3rd choice is that he has mistakes in him then that's utter horse poo poo, because so does Given and Forde is probably the worst of the lot.

Forde is close to retirement age. Given should have retired a while ago.  In fact Given retired from international football and then changed his mind!

The facts are thus. Forde is part of the second worst defence in the championship. Given has played twice this season & will be 39 next month! I know keepers can play into their late 30's...more than outfielders can. But a 38 year old who has only played twice in nearly a whole season SHOULDN'T be anywhere near an international side like Ireland's. 

Obviously I'll sound biased, being a Wednesday fan. But the facts are that Westwood has kept a ridiculous amount of clean sheets this season, he's pulled off ridiculous performances game after game. He's made the odd error, but every keeper does. 

It'll baffle me if he doesn't start tonight.

Anyone who believes that Forde is better than Westwood should give up on football altogether. He has a fair amount of clangers for Millwall this season and will be playing in League One next season.

Anyone who believes that Forde is better than Westwood should give up on football altogether. He has had a fair amount of clangers for Millwall this season and will be playing in League One next season.

Also, he hasnt kept clean sheets on his own, thats been as much down to Loovens & Lees.

You need to watch our games closer.

His saves 1 on 1 have earned us more points this season than we can count.

Given is past his prime and hasn't played football on a regular basis. Can't understand anybody putting him in front of westwood.

Dont get carried away folks. Westwood is a very good keepr. slightly better than Kirkland who is lets not forget , a very good keeper two. But he's not in the class of Given by a long way. I'm happy with Westwood, one of the best in championship. But i can think of better keepers. & how can i be talking rubbish. He hasnt been picked has he, so the professionals agree with me.

I hate it when people say that last line

Pogba wasn't getting picked at Man United so if I was to say he wasn't good enough back then I would've been right because Ferguson wasn't playing him, meaning he was agreeing with me?

Only an utter moron could say that Westwood doesn't deserve to be Ireland's first choice

He's the best keeper in the championship, no contest.

He's good enough to be first choice for a club like Swansea or West Ham.

Oh, and Westwood isn't only slightly better than Kirkland, he's in a completely different league.

Edited by EcclesallOwl

There are no positives at all for Sheffield Wednesday if Westwood plays for Ireland anyway.

Confidence?

Obviously there's also the argument that he could get injured. But he could get injured in training for us, at the gym...anywhere.

Kirkland got injured at his own house ffs, wasn't he carrying washing upstairs?

We want our players playing at the highest level possible.

Guest Ellis Rimmer

There are no positives at all for Sheffield Wednesday if Westwood plays for Ireland anyway.

We'd have an international player for a decentish nation for the first time in a long while?

I don't agree with this in the slightest...any player wants to play for his country and by doing so make them better and want more. Westwood will be gutted he's not their number 1.

He could get injured at any time to be fair. How many players get injured in training or even in freak incidents?? To not want him to be his countries number 1 is a terrible attitude IMO

Exactly. Kirkland and his laundry basket springs to mind

Confidence?

Obviously there's also the argument that he could get injured. But he could get injured in training for us, at the gym...anywhere.

Kirkland got injured at his own house ffs, wasn't he carrying washing upstairs?

We want our players playing at the highest level possible.

Dont think he lacks confidence pal.

Why does that benefit us directly though?

Id rather him just play for us.

Confidence.

Playing with better players (and against better players) will only improve him.

If he played tonight he'd be facing Robert Lewandowski. Even in training he'll be practicing against the likes of Robbie Keane and Shane Long.

Of course we want as many players as possible playing international football.